Metal Spikes

Moderator: JackD201

Postby Hyperion » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:57 am

Hein,

Thanks for the tip. It's appreciated.

As for #2. Nice try but you have already jumped into a trap of your own doing :D :

Sounded like little Sonus Fabers if you ask me.

Please qualify and explain this conclusion hehehe :D Did you spend 3 months comparing Ushers and Sonus fabers too?
Hyperion

Postby sopas » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:54 pm

hein wrote:HYPERION,

Unfortunately not all MLs are DARK and UNINVOLVING. :)

HAHAHA. That's the point i was reffering to master Hyperion. That was what Lady Earwax was driving at. I was not talking about the neutrality part of the thread. :)
sopas

Postby sopas » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:02 pm

Hyperion wrote:Hein,

Thanks for the tip. It's appreciated.

As for #2. Nice try but you have already jumped into a trap of your own doing :D :

Sounded like little Sonus Fabers if you ask me.

Please qualify and explain this conclusion hehehe :D Did you spend 3 months comparing Ushers and Sonus fabers too?

Ya know this is a futile/pathetic attempt to get back at hein over a point which seared all the way home. Layo na ito eh. lets drop this and go back to spikes and footers. ok na. Unless you two want to put up your own thread like "Thoughts of Hein and Hyperion" or something like that.
sopas

Postby Hyperion » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:25 pm

sopas,

So what? There are no absolutes when it comes to adjectives that simply pertain to subjective responses to aural stimulus. So even if I concede that I was wrong, what I wrote would still be correct to a lot of people. In fact other people's opinions of ML are even less favorable than mine. :)

In case you did not bring your humor with you today, that last line to Hein was a joke complete with hehehe and a smiley. I could not care less if he heard that ushers sound like Sonus fabers. If that was how he heard it then that already qualifies as a valid opinion. Rest assured that embarking on a personal vendetta against someone just because of a petty difference in subjective opinion is just not my style.
Hyperion

Postby ichabod » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:50 am

As they say in the West, opinions are like a_ _holes, everybody's got one. So fire away.

But in audio, they don't change sonic signatures no matter how much one tries!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby noctilux » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:30 pm

Peace at last!

My two centimos again, as if it's worth anything nowadays with the petrol rising as the peso is going down.

Spikes on timber finished floor:
If 8 holes on the floor you don't mind too much and you have somehow considered:
1. that these are the best positions for the speakers;
2. keeping these speakers or stands for a long period of time;
3. that your wife/mother/mother-in-law won't kill you afterwards;
4. the best way of coupling/decoupling the speaker from the floor.
Then, this tweak is the killer of all tweaks for spikes vs no spikes:
Get 8 2 inch metal self tapping phillips head screws and screw them down on the exact points where the spikes have made their marks. Hopefully, this will hit some structural member like wooden floor joists. Place the speakers/stands on these phillips heads and you have the isolation of spikes, with the rigidity of the floor structure. It's a crazy idea but theoretically, it does seem right. It's actually not the end of the world since this can be corrected later on with some wood putty and stain.

I cannot recommend this on parquet floors since the parquet is just glued down to typically a concrete slab. the small pieces of wood may just delaminate from the slab.

Disclaimer: I have not done this tweak but have read it in one of stereophile's columns many years ago. I could remember that the writer even placed jacks (scaffolding jacks) underneath the floor (American houses typically have basements used as storage) where his speakers and equipment rest. please do this at your own risk.

Okay, now I have to wear my helmet and flack jacket, I think i asked for it this time.

Regards
Noct
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:28 pm

A UK audiophile reviewer has wooden floors in his room but there is a solid reinforced conc. pedestal w/ footing where his speaker stands sit. Yan ang ayos!
mozilla

Postby dogears » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:57 pm

what about reversing the orientation of the metal spike and "decouple the floor from the speaker" ;) :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby sopas » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:22 pm

[quote="Hyperion"]sopas,

So what? There are no absolutes when it comes to adjectives that simply pertain to subjective responses to aural stimulus. So even if I concede that I was wrong, what I wrote would still be correct to a lot of people. In fact other people's opinions of ML are even less favorable than mine. :)

quote]

Uy..High faluting na yan ah....Parang galing sa magazine!....anakanam... :lol: Its ok if yo u admit that you are wrong. you don't have to drag here what other people think. If your are solid with your conviction then wag mo na silang idamay. What they and you think does not matter in this argument because that is not the premise. Ano to kampihan? The issue hear is not about absolutes in adjectives like what you mentioned in your ala "stereophilesque" statement but on the manner it was executed. Your sweeping statements are the issue. That is the absoute. Im just talking about that little tiff you had with Earwax. Well since you admit that you were wrong then that's it.

I was not talking about vendetta. Im talking about how when your tail was finally put in between your legs, may huling hirit ka pa rin. That's not vendetta. That is called makulit. Saying "to get back at" does not neccesarily mean vendeta na agad. Your "style" is different. More on the lecturing authority type for self gratification and maybe also to honestly help, i mean im sure you feel good when you know a lot of people take your opinions seriously. Ego booster talaga yon. And im not saying that is wrong mind you. Im just describing your style. Anyway tama na ito. Metal spikes na at footers. ot na eh.
sopas

Postby Hans adriane » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:26 pm

Just tried to put 25centavo coins notice cleaner high, rounder mids and bass tighten... btw have elevated wood floor..
Hans adriane
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:23 am

Something better than spikes footers and what have you. Why not bury some 5 feet of cement or concrete (give it your own dimensions to the size of your stands) under your speakers and see how that thing goes. If it convinces K Kessler, why won't it convince anyone looking for vibration free, rock solid Gibraltar stands under your precious speakers. Someone may have tried this already given the kind of proclivity tweakers possess!

But on second thought this has ceased to be a debatable issue on the floor! The issue as we all know now it is about what someone said which according to another should not have been said at all! So spiking your speakers or for that matter one another is only some beginning me thinks. Folks it's only audio, no need to get too glandular! Music is what maatters!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audio_Tyro » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:00 am

Living on a country on top of tectonic plates (prone to earthquakes), it gives me second thought to ask a wealthy audio hobbyist to even bother trying.
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Metal Spikes

Postby dogears » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:25 am

highlander wrote:Putting metal spikes on speakers is probably the most popular tweak. But
they damage :cry: floors with wood tiles. How can this be overcomed?

I saw a pic here in the forum that literally has a metal spike [bob ba tawag dun?] ON a speaker :D parang Totem tweak yata :P
dogears
Master
Master

Re: Metal Spikes

Postby mozilla » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:59 am

dogears wrote:I saw a pic here in the forum that literally has a metal spike [bob ba tawag dun?] ON a speaker :D parang Totem tweak yata :P

Yup if you do it right and the speaker's (or component's) resonances is tuned by that cone, you can actually tweak the tonal balance of the system.
mozilla

Postby bacolodboy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:40 am

Arnold, are you going to get rid of your Lovan footers? :) I have a friend who needs them.
bacolodboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:19 am

bacolodboy, no I'm not. Because I will use them when I desire to tune my speaker positioning. I am too lazy to lift them, so with the footers, I will be able to "slide" them around. :)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Audiogeek » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:31 pm

I find this topic interesting and should be discussed intelligently. So, I share my personal experience about putting a metal spikes or footers under your speakers. On the positve side, i totally agree that this accessory really improves only the clarity of the music or sound. Here's why. All speakers, without exception, floorstanding or bookshelf, usually generate a vibration created by itself as they emit soundwaves. The bigger the speaker, the bigger the vibration. When your speaker vibrates, it causes a jitter or disturbance to what should be the normal soundwaves of the music. Hence, you will usually experience muddy bass or unstable frequencies in the mids and his which somehow dismember the vocal sound.

Speakers are supposed to produce sound that travels in the air and therefore, less contact between the speakers and the floor, the better, and that means the speakers now float in the air (floating effect), and the sound will come so natural.

I have actually two speaker set-up: one is bookshelf with a heavy metal stands and second is a floorstander. Both are equuipped with metal foots. They sound incredibly similar in terms of clarity.

Spikes or foots have nothing to do with positioning to improve the soundstage. Even if you have the correct positioning or toeing and resulting soundstage, if your speakers have poor foundation, it wont give clear musical soundstage. that's why you see modern design speakers are well-reinforced on their bases with heavy metal slabs to maintain stability.

But, here's some interesting point i have noticed. If your floor is concrete, that is a very big advantage whether it is carpeted or not, because it somehow stabilizes and doesn't add to the vibration of the speakers even if your speakers have no spikes. But if you have a floor made of wood, especially if your music room is in the second floor, then you have a problem.

Me ultimo sunos.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Kier » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:46 pm

So, mali pala ang ginawa ko, yung pointed end ang pinasok ko sa loob & yung rounded end and nakasayad sa floor ko kasi inisip ko rin na wag ma-damage yung floor ko, dapat ko ba baliktarin yung spikes ng speaker ko & ilang mm ba dapat ang nakalabas sa spikes. Thank you in advance sa magbibigay ng advice.
Kier
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:59 am

Kier, spikes are supposed to bite on the floor, not on the speaker. it doesn't seem right in that manner. Anyway, here's my uno centimo worth of suggestion. Under that set-up, put a dime, small coin, or anything that is light enough, on top middle of your speakers, one on the left and one on the right. Play several lp or discs for some time (maybe after several hours or even after a day) and observe if there is a slight movement or change in the position of the coin on each speaker. This is my test to determine the vibration of my speakers. It helps.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jonas » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:15 pm

in my new audioroom which is carpeted over a concrete/marble floor i tried using spikes provided with my kefQ5 floorstanders but i notice that the spikes dont penetrate the carpet down to the marble resulting in a wobbly speaker which doesnt resolve even with adjusting the height of the spikes. i tried resting the speakers with spikes on a marble slab on top of the carpet but i didnt like the sound, it sounded thin. i ended up removing the spikes and resting the speakers directly on the carpet.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Archives