Metal Spikes

Moderator: JackD201

Metal Spikes

Postby highlander » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:47 pm

Putting metal spikes on speakers is probably the most popular tweak. But
they damage :cry: floors with wood tiles. How can this be overcomed?
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hein » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:53 pm

Accdg to the Apogee Ribbon Owner's manual, put a small coin under the spike. That way, you benefit from the tweak and not damge the flooring.
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby iceman90a » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:06 pm

dont use too small a coin though, heavy speakers can push them down and embed them in the floor as well, suggest a 5 peso coin they have a larger surface area - or an old 1 peso coin :D
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:22 pm

mas audible sonic improvement if you use the P10,000 peso coin, marcos era :D:D:D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Audio_Tyro » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:34 pm

arnoldc wrote:mas audible sonic improvement if you use the P10,000 peso coin, marcos era :D:D:D

Be warned though that this coin is part of Ill-gotten wealth. Make sure you lock your doors when installing. :D

Diba may nabibiling cone (parang small flattish volcanoe looking gadget) where you can put the pointed spikes on its tip ? I think Hypertriode sells this (# 832-5710) ?
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:39 pm

that's the lovan and costs only P100 per piece. pero bitin, kasi set of 6. that's what i use, and it makes speaker positioning a breeze because you can now slide the speaker + stand by holding the stand base and moving it around.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Audio_Tyro » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:42 pm

That's because you ought to buy two sets: eight pieces to your stereo speakers, and the four pieces are for your REL sub. Pinsan ArnoldC, kelan daw ba? Ahihihi. Joke joke lang... you should never put spikes on your REL sub. Find others who want to do a group buy so you can save.
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Metal Spikes

Postby dinolara » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:58 pm

highlander wrote:Putting metal spikes on speakers is probably the most popular tweak. But
they damage :cry: floors with wood tiles. How can this be overcomed?

One thing I learned from wiredstate. I don't mind those scratch/damage on the floor anymore. It's part of being an audiophile. :twisted:

Seriously, I try to get the perfect position first and then make it permanent. However, everytime there's a new component, there might be a need to readjust. But those upgrades don't come everyday anyway.

This is me. You don't have to follow this. :)
dinolara
Citizen
Citizen

Postby highlander » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:14 pm

arnoldc wrote:that's the lovan and costs only P100 per piece. pero bitin, kasi set of 6. that's what i use, and it makes speaker positioning a breeze because you can now slide the speaker + stand by holding the stand base and moving it around.

I think I have now an idea. A friend of mine owns a machine shop. I believe he can fabricate these.

Thanks a lot for the tips!
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audioboy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:15 pm

Audio_Tyro wrote:Find others who want to do a group buy so you can save.

sound dimension sells lovan footers per piece. not sure though if the price is 100 pesos/piece.
Audioboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Doc Jr 8156 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:08 am

For a cheap solution, use metal washers (size depends on you) mga apat, makapal dapat. Find some "acorn shaped nuts" (available in any hardware store) that will snug- fit in the holes of the stack washers. Insert the nut in the washer stack and apply some epoxy to the sides of the nut not in contact with the washer edge. Dry it for 24 hours. Then get some "furniture slider plastics" and glue this to the other side of the washers, let dry for 24 hours and paint to color as you please as long as you will use "epoxy paint".....Voila! Audiophool footers w/ slideable capability. You can also use this as a substitute to isolate sources like CDP and TT from vibration coming from the rack. Even big amplifiers weighing 50 lbs can be handled by these. If you want you can eliminate the cone completely by using fewer washers in the stack so that the "rounded" head of nut protrudes a bit on the other side of the washer stack, now you have a roller-bearing clone. Versatile, di ba! Godspeed.
Doc Jr 8156
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:18 am

Jon,

Para di magasgas ng spike mo just put carpet sa music room mo, tapos na problem he he he :lol: :lol: O kaya wag ka nang mag spike para walang gasgas :lol:

If money is the problem borrow from your friend who owns the "machine shop" :D :D Kasi kung magpapagawa ka ulit san kanya it will take you forever to get it :x
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby Wye-FI » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:17 am

:shock: :lol2: Sasabihin ko sa friend mong may machine shop na gawan ka na rin ng carpet sa music room mo Sa weekend pa-feng-shui na rin natin yung music room mo ....he he he :evil: :(
Wye-FI
Citizen
Citizen

Postby highlander » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:48 am

Follow up question....Can other materials like hard wood / hard rubber /hard plastic (anything hard) do the isolation trick?
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hyperion » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:11 am

Using coins or other materials under spikes tend to make the speakers sound worse than with spike only or without spikes. In short, if you are afraid of scratching your floor - don't use spikes. Using coins or similar objects tend to make speakers sound thin and brittle - except in cases where the speakers were actually designed to be used with them.

Actually, spikes do not isolate or decouple the speakers from your floor, their purpose is to couple or join speakers into the floor to prevent them from moving as well as to minimize energy storage in the cabinet by providing for a faster way to dissipate vibrations through the floor.
Hyperion

Postby redmagic » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:20 am

if carpet is not an option, use carpet tile instead. eh di 2 tile lang kailangan mo :D
redmagic
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zach » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:06 pm

you canl also try em without the spikes. for me mas balsier yung tunog pag wala. :)
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Spikes

Postby ears » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:35 pm

What I did was after positioning the speakers I blue tacked the footers on to the floor so that it would not slide around.
ears
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:11 pm

Hyperion wrote:Using coins or other materials under spikes tend to make the speakers sound worse than with spike only or without spikes. In short, if you are afraid of scratching your floor - don't use spikes. Using coins or similar objects tend to make speakers sound thin and brittle -

I agree with that finding, Hyperion. The gap of between the
coin and the floor will tend to add more resonant vibration into the
speakers, something that was not there in the first place. Maraming
butas na rin ang carpet ko and before, I had pierced many parquets...
but tweaking is supposed to be no holds barred. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby hein » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Hey Highlander,

Let's see if HYPERION or the APOGEE Acoustics people are right. Why dont you try putting the metal stuff under your spikes. Check out if the sound becomes brittle and thin. The Apogee people think it shouldn't. This is an easy and cheap tweak anyway. Lets turn it into a scientific experiment. Report to us your results, k?
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Technical Archives