How to Protect from Lightning?

Moderator: JackD201

How to Protect from Lightning?

Postby audio80's » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 am

How do you guys protect your system from lightnings? My 26" LCD has a busted Video Circuit + an obliterated Power supply section, the Yamaha receiver's Video section also is dead though the audio is still OK & the cable set-up box Video Out also is dead that leaves me to conclude that the lightning passed through the video section via the cable wire.

Actually the Cable TV wire was already unplugged when the misis knew there was strong thunder & Lightning BUT my 13 year old son told her that the TV is not connected to the aerial antenna so they continued to watch - kabam went the lighting struck the cable TV wire & all went kaput! Luckily the Yamaha's audio is still OK but the video section is totally dead :(
audio80's
Citizen
Citizen

Re: How to Protect from Lightning?

Postby mullard88 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I had a very bad lightning experience a long time ago. From that time on, I unplug all my equipment when I am not listening.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bonghiskan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:52 am

I think grounding would be the best bet.

Any cables before entering the house needs to be grounded, especially aerials which are pretty much susceptible to lightning strike. It provides a shorter path for the lightning current to reach ground first, instead of heading towards your equipments (components inside the equipment dont have that much of a tolerance in such an extreme current) and finding or jumping its way out to a least resistant path on its way to ground (hoping not human, very dangerous). Make sure that ground path is shorter than to where the equipments are. Slight current surge from the power utility line is a different story, a good and reliable surge protector or conditioner will suffice to prevent any extensive damage to your equipments. My 2 cents.

Bong
bonghiskan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:43 am

Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audio80's » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:56 am

yeah many say just put something that goes to ground directly but nowadays are there any device that can Totally protect our system from the speed of lightning? I was thinking by now they could have invented some sort of Total protection fro the system ala Fuse or breaker.
audio80's
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:33 am

audio80's wrote:yeah many say just put something that goes to ground directly but nowadays are there any device that can Totally protect our system from the speed of lightning? I was thinking by now they could have invented some sort of Total protection fro the system ala Fuse or breaker.

There is no way to protect against a direct hit. But those are rare.

Read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive ... 040708.php
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Technical Archives