SET amps

Moderator: JackD201

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:31 pm

Thanks Everyone :)

My postings sort of lagged dang dial up cut me off hehe.

Now the audio bug has gotten me after all these years I must now look into DIY speakers to complement my plans upon embarking on a SET scenario.

Thanks again all for the valued info. MATSALA YOIN!
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby amandarae » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:34 pm

One more thing, in my book, I follow a specific rule.

It is easier to like a Single Driver speaker(high efficiency) driven by a non SET amp than an SET amp driving a non single driver speaker(low efficincy).

As for the answer to your question, why not borrow a single driver speaker or any high sensitivity type and let your EL34 drive it and listen. Or take your amp to someone who can let you use their high efficiency speakers and see for yourself.

No offense, just making a suggestion.....
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:21 pm

amandarae wrote:One more thing, in my book, I follow a specific rule.

It is easier to like a Single Driver speaker(high efficiency) driven by a non SET amp than an SET amp driving a non single driver speaker(low efficincy).

As for the answer to your question, why not borrow a single driver speaker or any high sensitivity type and let your EL34 drive it and listen. Or take your amp to someone who can let you use their high efficiency speakers and see for yourself.

No offense, just making a suggestion.....
amandarae

The "rule" seems double edged to me.

What you are saying really is it would be easier to like a single driver speaker (high efficiency) using a SET amp than a NON SET amp (EL34) driving a multiple driver speaker (low efficiency).

The suggestion posted by Grant is I feel the most logical because based on my preference to use multi driver speakers with the corresponding specifications of my choice without really doing anything I can arrive at the music with my EL34's.

Well as to the merits of "true" SET experience by way of using single driver speakers I would be inclined to favor NON SET amps since they have the uncanny ability to survive in both worlds.
SoFtCliPpEr

not a monopoly

Postby XLR_silver » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:33 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
The "rule" seems double edged to me.

What you are saying really is it would be easier to like a single driver speaker (high efficiency) using a SET amp than a NON SET amp (EL34) driving a multiple driver speaker (low efficiency).

The suggestion posted by Grant is I feel the most logical because based on my preference to use multi driver speakers with the corresponding specifications of my choice without really doing anything I can arrive at the music with my EL34's.

Well as to the merits of "true" SET experience by way of using single driver speakers I would be inclined to favor NON SET amps since they have the uncanny ability to survive in both worlds.

experts please correct me if i'm wrong but i think there are a number of multi-driver speakers that are efficient enough to match with SET amps as well. single-driver, crossoverless speakers do not have a monopoly over speaker efficiency. in fact, some SET users prefer vintage and modern coaxial speakers or dual-concentric drivers (tannoy) that have efficient crossovers. if you're used to the sound of push-pull amps driving less efficient speakers, you might not like the sound of single-driver, coax and dual-concentric speakers, though.

while most of the commercially available multidriver speakers that have a separate bass driver and tweeter are better matched with solid state or push-pull amps, i have heard a couple of them that can match quite well with SET amps. i think these latter type of speakers are made more efficient by the enclosure design, crossover designs and/or the material of the drivers.

judging from your brief description of your preferences, these latter types of speakers will probably fit your taste better. i find that unlike the "theater speakers" types that they can do imaging and soundstaging similar to the way "less-efficient" speakers do but with much more transparency and resolution than PP-amplified systems.

if you prefer a clinical, analytical sound though, these latter types may still not be for you. the liveliness of most efficient speakers are sometimes "mistaken" or branded as "dirty" by those who like their listening sytems to sound clean but "sterile".
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:52 pm

No, what I am saying is that:

It is easier to like a Single Driver speaker(high efficiency) driven by a non SET amp than an SET amp driving a non single driver (low efficiency) speaker.

Come on now! The single driver speaker is an "example" because of the sensitivity. The SET amp driving a Non-single driver speaker is, again, an example of a low efficient speaker per se.

Where did I say that "It is hard to like a NON SET amplifier driving a multiple driver speaker in my post?

Please, I respect you as I respect all members here. But do not put words in my mouth.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:45 pm

amndarae

As you said without the word "example" your "rule" statement merely opens the door to an ocean of speculations. RESPECT on the other hand is a heavy word it shouldn't be used lightly because RESPECT is earned. You remind of a sect that takes things too LITERALLY. My question was a valid one you made it more complicated with your words of someone not really being able to experience the "true" SET "experience without the benefit of a puny single driver speaker which you even suggested for me to borrow or listen to.

You should have dwelled on the essence of my problem which was basic and simple I wanted to know how relative using a SET amp would be to my present preferences. I feel the data supplied by others here have been most helpful except yours as far as my problem was concerned.

And please before I said anything regarding your "rule" I started by saying TO ME my opinion so to say here in this august forum I placed words in your MOUTH is the farthest thing from the truth.

Cheers!
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:53 pm

Pero kudos to you amandarae ang GALING MO MAGPALUSOT! if you are a lawyer I might hire you :)
SoFtCliPpEr

.02 cents

Postby Oldfogey » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:30 pm

Hi all,

Just my ten centavos worth. There are a couple of websites, Welborne Labs and Wavelength Audio, which have lists of various speakers suitable for SET amps.

There are quite a few types represented, horns, single drivers, multi-driver types. Most, though, are 90+ db and have very kind impedance curves.

I have owned a pair of multidriver floorstanders which could be quite happily driven by an 8 watt amp, and it could go REALLY LOUD, too!

For really low powered SET's (5 watts or less), extremely efficient speakers are the only way to go.
Oldfogey

Postby amandarae » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:09 am

As you said without the word "example" your "rule" statement merely opens the door to an ocean of speculations. RESPECT on the other hand is a heavy word it shouldn't be used lightly because RESPECT is earned. You remind of a sect that takes things too LITERALLY. My question was a valid one you made it more complicated with your words of someone not really being able to experience the "true" SET "experience without the benefit of a puny single driver speaker which you even suggested for me to borrow or listen to

I do not follow the same creed you do. So please spare me the bullshit about your definiton of respect.

You remind of a sect that takes things too LITERALLY

You remind me of a tire inner tube hissing all over! My suggestions are just that, suggestions!. Did I say you have to follow it? As for my rule, did you noticed that I said "In my book" at the start of it?
Who remind you of your sect that takes things Literally again?

You should have dwelled on the essence of my problem which was basic and simple I wanted to know how relative using a SET amp would be to my present preferences. I feel the data supplied by others here have been most helpful except yours as far as my problem was concerned

Dwell? With your problem? Read your goddam post, you do not have a problem, you have an interest. You are inquiring! That is why you are in this forum right? Nobody can solve your problems here!. If that is your agenda, you are in the wrong place and way off course.

And please before I said anything regarding your "rule" I started by saying TO ME my opinion so to say here in this august forum I placed words in your MOUTH is the farthest thing from the truth

Okay, I maybe well off line there. I'll give you that.

Pero kudos to you amandarae ang GALING MO MAGPALUSOT! if you are a lawyer I might hire you

No thanks! If I am a lawyer, I'll probably decline. I do not think I can come up with a lot of bull shit and crap to get somebody like you off the hook.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby iceman90a » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:21 am

he he he - i guess SET amps do get hot :D
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:24 am

I apologize if some people will find my post above as being harsh. But read the whole thread and see for yourself who released the first "blow". I try to parry but it seems that in this case, it will not work thus the post.

If my post above will be DELETED by the moderator, so be it. I do not intend to answer any more threads on this particular topic ever.

my apologies to all....
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:27 am

HE HE HE why I must have hit a nerve LOL!
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:29 am

May gatas ka sa bibig ijo hehehe
SoFtCliPpEr

Re: .02 cents

Postby XLR_silver » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:47 am

Oldfogey wrote:Hi all,

Just my ten centavos worth. There are a couple of websites, Welborne Labs and Wavelength Audio, which have lists of various speakers suitable for SET amps.

There are quite a few types represented, horns, single drivers, multi-driver types. Most, though, are 90+ db and have very kind impedance curves.

I have owned a pair of multidriver floorstanders which could be quite happily driven by an 8 watt amp, and it could go REALLY LOUD, too!

For really low powered SET's (5 watts or less), extremely efficient speakers are the only way to go.

konting lamig guys.

anyway, here are links to websites oldfogey mentioned:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/recomendspeaks.htm

http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/speaker.html
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:54 am

Muntik na sana ako mag SET but after the ABUSE I got from amandarae by merely asking legitimate questions pagtiyagaan ko na muna TRIVISTA ko hehehe

SoFtCliPpEr <---------- cool as ice hehehe
SoFtCliPpEr

Re: .02 cents

Postby iceman90a » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:12 pm

konting lamig guys.

anyway, here are links to websites oldfogey mentioned:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/recomendspeaks.htm

http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/speaker.html

lupit naman ng speaker recommendations nila :? i personally have seen only 3 in the list, and heard only one (lookalike lang pala nadinig ko)

seen and heard lookalike - WS BS60

seen at hyperaudio's place

seen at xlr's place
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:26 pm

WOW my Micro Utopia's were classified by Wavelenght Audio to be in the medium efficiency class 90db to 96db. What would be an advisable low powered SET amp to use?
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby zetroce » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:43 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:WOW my Micro Utopia's were classified by Wavelenght Audio to be in the medium efficiency class 90db to 96db. What would be an advisable low powered SET amp to use?

Softclipper,

Si Arnold, may DIY na 45 SET, 1.8 watts per channel.

Si toobs at choobs, parehong may Darling amp, .75 watts. Am not sure though if this is a SET amp.

Cheers.
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:49 pm

zetroce

1.8W Gee I will try to borrow from sir arnold when he comes by to deliver my other order.
Thanks for the info!
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby arnoldc » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:51 pm

Darling is SET. i have a 2A3, 300B, 45, 807 (single-ended pentode) 10wpc.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Archives