Beard Audio, amplifiers

Moderator: JackD201

Beard Audio, amplifiers

Postby myaudio » Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 am

Hi Guys!

I finally found a page where information about the amps I have been using is available. My gears are of the Beard Audio brand name, and I have been listening to them for quite some time now (for some years actually) without really knowing any technical info about them.

I enjoy listening to the sound they recreate with the help of my Magnepan speakers.

My purpose in posting this message is to ask those who have time to reply to :

1. please look at the amp's brochures from these pages (PDF files)

a. pre amplifier
http://www.beardaudio.com/ca506broc.pdf

b. power amplifier
http://www.beardaudio.com/m70-2broc.pdf

2. please tell me what you "see" with the specs. are these amps made ahead of it's time, amps to keep, consume more electricity than other valve amps, amps are designed/ built so-so? is there something worth noting about the features of the amps. ( i dont have much experience with various tube amps, compared to the exposure/ experience others may have. so if you tell me that these Beard amps are below most, just like most, or is above most amps, then thats added knowledge for me)

By posting this and (hopefully) by receiving your inputs and comments, i think i can better appreciate the gear I own beyond the audio enjoyment it brings to my ears. Your reply would help me understand more about tech specs as well (working knowledge anyway).

My observations so far are limited to the following:

1. they run hot (power amp utilizes many valves)
2. sound reproduced is detailed, very good (for me anyway)
3. the power amplifiers are quite heavy

Thank you in advance.

(WS mods, i hope this is the right place to post this message)
myaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Beard Audio, amplifiers

Postby qguy » Fri May 01, 2009 10:41 am

Its interesting that the designer used a dozen el34 to increase power, there are lots of people fond of the el84 tube, but thier limited power has its limitations. Used as a pair, you can get 15 to 20 watts, a dozen gets you 100 watts...

David Manley a well respected tube designer uses the el84 in several of his designs.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby dannyb » Fri May 01, 2009 11:24 am

i saw an exact same pair in virra mall cardinal audio in the early 90's it could be the same pair, the amp was selling for P100k+, all i know about them is they are british & beard is one of the old respected english brands :)
dannyb
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sinar » Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 pm

i've come across the brand a long time ago, sometime in the mid 90's in one issue of hi-fi news and record reviews. it's a one page article featuring its amp but i can't remember na what it is.
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby myaudio » Sat May 02, 2009 1:12 am

Sinar, QGuy, DannyB, and Novblue,

Thank you for your replies. I like the way the amps reproduce and deliver music, now am just curious how it does that given the access to technical information of the equipment (availability of the brochure online).

I hope to be able to post photos of the amps soon through the proper section here at WS.

Thanks again.
myaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Technical Archives