Technical Achives: Lifesaver

Moderator: JackD201

Technical Achives: Lifesaver

Postby egay » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 am

First things first: thanks Jack for keeping this section neat and thanks Moz for the excellent contribution - these topics kept me sane :hai:

I recently bought a Mystere IA11 as a "back-up" for my SF Power 2 + SFL-2.
I heard this lady made good music in my old place, but when i transferred into my new place (with an almost dedicated listening room: Attic lang po), things changed for the worse - poor soundstaging/layering and the bass was getting sucked by some mysterious (not the amp) elf :worried:

i thought the usual triangle-method would work for me here, but no way.
i would have blamed the IA11 had i not known her capability; then came Tyrone/Noel suggesting it is the room while Eric/Pic suggested looking at speaker placement - these guys must be correct - i mean, look at their listening rooms!! ;)

the ultimate prodding came from this morning's mail from Tyrone, strongly recommending placement.

so where do i go? Technical Archives, of course!!
and i'm very thankful i did.

My Solution (for the moment)
i am momentarily deferring room treatment as this house has just been renovated bottom-up, plus this attic is new - any additional expense is a serious threat to my well-being (i noticed my wife had been cleaning my Para :sweat: ).

so, speaker placement was it for me.

i tried the Cardas Methos but it produced unfriendly numbers/points that my speakers will dominate my 4x5m=20-sqm listening room. easy but not for me.
the WASP/Wilson-method was not so easy to follow and needs some hustling.

the Audio Physics Method was EXCELLENT for me :clap:

i divided my listening area into zones and marked the imaginary grids.
it was easy because my floor coverings are 50x50 carpet tiles, so my grid is 50x50.
like what AP said: the Even intersections produce bass, while the Odds produce less - exactly as suggested!

Joshua said "give me that mountain, Lord" and he conquered that mountain.
i said "give me back my room" and now i have.

my SF Concerto suddenly snapped into place at grid 2B & 8B and listening position at grid 7/8xD/E where i had to follow the 1m distance from the rear wall.
it was like magic: the missing bass just came out, the listening volume became louder, and soundstaging became wide and deep! betcha-by-golly-wow!! i just saved $$$/PPP so i will have an excuse of getting more software :P

Recommendations
get those equipment working well and seriously consider correct speaker placement EVEN before considering room treatment.

oh BTW, another saver for me: DAVE BRUBECK TIME OUT LP AND GOLD DISC - the mainstay in my tuning arsenal; the rest are simply 'support'.

i'm attaching some photos later.

Cheers buddies!
.e.
Last edited by egay on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Technical Achives: Lifesaver

Postby highlander » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:52 am

Congratulations Egay on your new Amp and your success in the speaker placement! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Might try it out also... ;) Medyo 'bitin' din ang bass ko on some LPs...

Thanks for sharing! :clap: :clap: :clap:
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:09 pm

highlander wrote:Congratulations Egay on your new Amp and your success in the speaker placement! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Might try it out also... ;) Medyo 'bitin' din ang bass ko on some LPs...

Thanks for sharing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

i'm sure you won't be disappointed. i think for as long as your speakers are "box-type"/traditional, this will work. but i also think the grids will be good starting points in your search for the best locations of your speaks - be boxed or panels (just guessing here, although i would not hesitate to try the method on panels, too).

thanks for the encouragement!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby highlander » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:39 pm

A sketch of the 'before' and 'after' including the grids would be much better...then the pictures... ;)
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Noel_14 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:42 am

Nice toknow that problem was finally solved.
Noel_14
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 pm

highlander wrote:A sketch of the 'before' and 'after' including the grids would be much better...then the pictures... ;)

hello jonathan, greets from QC!
per your request, i am attaching the sketch/guide and a photo of my current setup.
i hope this inspires you to optimize your beloved system :hai:

i have experimented moving my speakers on 4b & 4h and the soundstage became deeper but my listesning space became smaller; this is similar to following the Cardas Method - so this is not optimum for me BUT the current drawing is... i'm excited if and when the correct treatments are applied - you see, my listening room is not a regular cube :|

Sonus Faber Concerto Domus/front reflex 2-way; CEC TL51XR top-loading, belt-driven CDP; the Mystere IA11 Integrated amp; the Cary PH-302 phonostage; Loth-X Aida TT with CA TQ-1 + DV cart; wires & cables are Acoustic Zen and Silver Audio

i hope this helps my friend!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Technical Archives