curtains for my back wall

Moderator: JackD201

curtains for my back wall

Postby detubo » Wed May 14, 2008 11:38 am

those who know my place will remember that there is a padded wall behind my system. well, termites decided to feast on the wood studs. after annihilating those annoying bastards i now plan to set aside my plans to buy a new road bike and instead install heavy curtain to treat the room in place of the padded wall. anyone with any experience with this type of treatment?
detubo
Master
Master

Re: curtains for my back wall

Postby dannyb » Wed May 14, 2008 11:41 am

detubo wrote:those who know my place will remember that there is a padded wall behind my system. well, termites decided to feast on the wood studs. after annihilating those annoying bastards i now plan to set aside my plans to buy a new road bike and instead install heavy curtain to treat the room in place of the padded wall. anyone with any experience with this type of treatment?

try nardas they make ethnic woven curtains from baguio i know they have a manila outlet. btw they also did the curtains for malacanang during corys time if i'm not mistaken :)
dannyb
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Wed May 14, 2008 11:50 am

thanks for the reply. actually i already made a decision on the materials. plain taffeta with a cotton canvas backing. cotton para organic sounding daw. hehe. i wanted to know if this would help my sound acoustically.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby qguy » Wed May 14, 2008 12:03 pm

You can try tiles cut to size made of plywood,with a one inch foam and then cover with your choice of fabric.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby troporobo » Wed May 14, 2008 12:36 pm

Curtains alone are not going to do much acoustically. There will be a slight attentuation of very high frequencies from the fabric, but not much else. If you can blow air through a fabric, it is essentially acoustically transparent

If you're going to cover the wall with opaque curtains anyway, why not put something behind them like compressed fiberglass, egg crate foam, cork tiles, acoustic ceiling tiles, or some combination?
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Wed May 14, 2008 1:59 pm

qguy wrote:You can try tiles cut to size made of plywood,with a one inch foam and then cover with your choice of fabric.

that what i did the last time. i want to try something different now and CHEAPER!
detubo
Master
Master

Postby detubo » Wed May 14, 2008 2:05 pm

troporobo wrote:Curtains alone are not going to do much acoustically. There will be a slight attentuation of very high frequencies from the fabric, but not much else. If you can blow air through a fabric, it is essentially acoustically transparent

If you're going to cover the wall with opaque curtains anyway, why not put something behind them like compressed fiberglass, egg crate foam, cork tiles, acoustic ceiling tiles, or some combination?

the curtains will have 2 layers. the first being a light taffeta (silk like) then underneath will be have a heavy canvas backing. you think i'll still need compressed fiberglass, egg crate foam, cork tiles, acoustic ceiling tiles etc.... it ain't getting CHEAPER!! :x
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Search the tech archives for the chart of absorptive coefficients for different materials detoobs.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby detubo » Wed May 14, 2008 3:12 pm

JackD201 wrote:Search the tech archives for the chart of absorptive coefficients for different materials detoobs.

ah so! thanks
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JoeyGS » Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Instead of the curtains why not use metal studs instead of the wooden studs. Then attach fiber cement boards or gysum boards as backing material then you can attach your acoustic panels.

For wood, there are pre-treated wood for termites. I have used the Matimco brand. I have tested this in one of my doors exposed to outside weather and up until now it has not been attacked by termites. The Matimco wood is factory treated with anti-termite chemicals such as Solignum and they guarantee the performance.

Hope the above helps.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby troporobo » Wed May 14, 2008 5:36 pm

it ain't getting CHEAPER!! :x

sorry, didn't realize that was part of the equation. i thought we were talking audiophile-grade expensive here :roll:

Heavy canvas will help with the HF. But that might be all you need in your room.
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 pm

it seem that my plan won't affect the mid range which is all i care about (well not really :D ). so heavy curtains it is!

ot: since i'll have to delay purchase of my racer bike which gives me more time to read up some more, does anyone have any experience with the SRAM Rival group set in comparison w/ shimano ultegra?
detubo
Master
Master

Postby Patman » Wed May 14, 2008 5:56 pm

ot: since i'll have to delay purchase of my racer bike which gives me more time to read up some more, does anyone have any experience with the SRAM Rival group set in comparison w/ shimano ultegra?

Weight and looks detubo. I would go SRAM if your comparing the ultegra. If its dura-ace your choosing from Shimano, then its a different story. Try also the Campy grouppo.

Hey, when you get your bike, join us in Ayala Alabang or Daang Haari. Its always fun. Good luck on your bike. Full carbon ka ba?
Patman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Patman wrote:

Weight and looks detubo. I would go SRAM if your comparing the ultegra. If its dura-ace your choosing from Shimano, then its a different story. Try also the Campy grouppo.

Hey, when you get your bike, join us in Ayala Alabang or Daang Haari. Its always fun. Good luck on your bike. Full carbon ka ba?

sorry for late reply. have not bought the bike yet but will most likely get a fuji roubaix ltd w/c has a mix with dura ace. frame is a hybrid aluminum and carbon. i heard that sram had a recall. i'll stick to the tried and tested. will definitely join you. i heard you guys have a figure 8 route in the village. newbie lang kaya be gentle.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby FlyMe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:42 pm

qguy wrote:You can try tiles cut to size made of plywood,with a one inch foam and then cover with your choice of fabric.

I was thinking about this this morning... will this work as well or at least close to as 2" Fiberglass with cloth covering?
FlyMe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:04 pm

my new anay-free wall. in a few minutes may lalabas na babae sa curtains. hehe

detubo
Master
Master

Return to Technical Archives