instrument frequency range chart

Moderator: JackD201

instrument frequency range chart

Postby malloy » Sat May 03, 2008 10:28 pm

Sir,

I do not know if this has been discussed before but I cannot seem to find it in the forum anywhere.

I want to know what frequency range the snare drum covers. What frequencies do I hear when I hear a snare drum? And what overtones does the instrument have? When I hear a snare drum, am I hearing the upper bass, lower midrange or both? In the initial 'attack', probably I am hearing also some high frequencies as the stick hits the drum head and the metal wires underneath vibrate(?) I ask this since I am interested to find out what frequencies I am hearing in critiquing certain components as well as being better informed of what exactly all those reviewers speak of when they say x component is deficient in the midbass or is overblown in the upper treble etc etc.

Tried googleing, some articles are too technical and some do not give the range.

Better yet, can anyone provide a link or list the frequency range covered by the most familiar instruments of the orchestra and their corresponding descriptions such as bass, mid bass, upper treble etc.?

I seem to remember reading something on this in an audio magazine many years ago.

Thanks.
malloy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Sat May 03, 2008 11:31 pm

arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby malloy » Sun May 04, 2008 11:18 am

Thank you Google and Arnold,

I saw this before pero sumakit ulo ko. Mahirap i digest. I am electronics and acoustics illiterate. I can barely understand the graphs. Hanap pa ako ng simplified, dumbed down version.
malloy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby malloy » Sun May 04, 2008 11:32 am

To the moderators,

Mali yata ang lugar ng post, maybe it should be moved to newbie corner instead?

Thanks
malloy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 05, 2008 11:10 am

Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:19 am

Malloy,

This is the right place.

Jon,

Mr. Google Master, this is the best chart I've ever come across. Interactive pa! Thanks on behalf of everybody! :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby malloy » Mon May 05, 2008 5:16 pm

JackD201 wrote:
this is the best chart I've ever come across. Interactive pa! Thanks on behalf of everybody! :D

I agree! Ang galing! Salamat, Jon Agner.
Complete with piano keys, and all the adjectives to describe sound!

After this I think I can make more sense of the technical article linked by ArnoldC.
malloy
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Technical Archives