Importance of a Properly treated music room

Moderator: JackD201

Postby joe3rp » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:09 pm

Correct me if I am wrong!

Didn't BBC design the LS3/5a to be put on top of a mixing console? or was it to monitor the radio broadcast that was more of the voice of the broadcaster and not music.

So this speaker was designed for the "studio" and not the home environment...that we are talking about. :? :? :? :? :? :?
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:15 pm

Nothing to correct Joe.

The LS 3/5a was designed for OB, out of broadcast use. At least that's what it said from the sources I've read. In its early type, they discovered that it was good also for music when (as I recall) one of the employees of BBC played fm over these speakers.
As the story goes, they were all amazed how good it sounded. Many BBC employees after that began to assemble their LS 3/5a from Chartwell I believe if I'm getting this info right.

Speech or voice clarity was its primary purpose for monitoring out of main studio broadcast feeds on vans. Clarity was needed to differentiate the accents all over England to know which side or place the broadcast or BBC report was coming from.

Yes, I also read that they were placed on top of consoles for listening and monitoring. They were noted also for a highish sensitive treble to tell broadcasters of an upcoming feed by letting them hear tape hiss better for cueing.

This is the reason why they match better with tubes than ss which are harsher or harder sounding in comparison in the treble.

For the record, I've heard speakers with sweeter trebles than the LS 3/5a that can equally give good imaging similar to the LS but with lesser midrange authority in comparison.

So basically it was designed for the studio as we're told, but by accidental tuning and playing of speech and music it discovered to be good for voice (female specially) and music.

As Alan Shaw would say, a speaker that sounds natural on human voice first will be equally good for musical instruments as well. That in a nutshell is the underlying genius of these speakers.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

which one is better?

Postby XLR_silver » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:48 pm

bugsy wrote:Does anybody doubt that Tiger Woods is the best golfer in the world? Or Michael Jordan in basketball? Or Jascha Heifetz the best in his trade?

Thank God we don't need any skills in our hobby. And we have the freedom to say anything we want :D :D :D

Hey bugsy,

So which of the two is the better power amp? The top-of-the-line Halcro amp or Audionote's (Kondo) Ongaku?
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:23 pm

Mods please move to Tech Archive. Tnx guys!
JackD201
Immortal

Previous

Return to Technical Archives