What to look for in Room Treatments

Moderator: JackD201

What to look for in Room Treatments

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:44 pm

Room treatments are band aids for those of us that just can't build a room from scratch. The addage that "it's better than nothing" holds true for the most part especially if nothing means concrete walls. Be aware however that not all treatments are created equal.

Aside from convenience, price and looks, here are some things that should help guide those with need to arrest problems.

1. Do some measurements. Free downloadable/printable charts are available at Rives' along with test tones. Borrow an SPL meter and you're good to go.

2. Given the identified problem areas look for treatments that work in that range.

3. Pay the premium for fabric wrapping that is really acoustically transparent unlike abacca, canvas and the like. Better still specify fire retardant material.

4. If you can't find the patience to measure. Make sure your supplier of choice measures as part of his standard proceedure.

On a lighter note, there's a lot of name dropping going on. A comment I made in one thread has been repeatedly been pasted into other threads selling room treatments. I stand by my comment. However, I would like to make it clear that I do not endorse or recommend that product for the simple reason that I have not used them or experienced them enough to make a definitive assessment.
JackD201
Immortal

Return to Technical Archives