stereo recording question

Moderator: JackD201

stereo recording question

Postby detubo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:47 pm

roy dunann recorded "way out west" with a portable open reel tape recorder and 2 mono mics to create some of the best sonic ever put in vinyl and beat most of these commercial recording using million $ gears. question: if, hypothetically, my uncle mj passed on to me his revox open reel and 2 nuemann U-47 mics, could i come up with a recording that would bring even the most astute odyapyle to take notice?
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:30 am

Yes. But..............

Here's what you'll need.

1. The Revox to be brought up to spec. Fred De Leon passed away some time ago. He was the last person i know who was intimately familiar with the B family.

2. Identify your U47s

Original Neumann Tube, Neumann -Telefunken reissue, Neumann Tube or FET (supposedly not as good as the two mentioned earlier). There are also U47s floating around with Nuvistor tube conversions. If they are the tubed varieties try finding NOS M149s as well baka tepok na yung mga tubo.

3. Good microphone preamps. If you want vintage. Neve is my favorite. They should be capable of providing good clean phantom power.

4. Find lots of raw tape. I like BASF +5. I hear their up to +9. The extra headroom wil allow the tape to be hit hard if need be.

5. Find talents that have been working together for a loooong time or talents that are willing to rehearse till they bleed. Every track will be a take it or leave it affair. Walang edit edit dito except in the lead and tails.

AND

Despite the switchable polar patterns of the U47 X-Y or similar placement techniques may not get us the sound we have become accustomed to. I would go Omni and spaced. Which is still my favorite. Normally though I like having a stero mic or another single omni. The Revox will now be short a channel meaning now we'll need a quality mixer too.

All in all the enemy is self noise meaning all this now anciet gear should be really cleaned up. Remember that in those days this gear was considered new.

I see where you're going with this. Next step analog LP. There are many pressing plants that do small runs of 1,000 pcs. Pick up a copy of Mix and you'll see the adds in the classified sections.

In the meantime, I'll try to see if i can scare up one of our old Nagras from Filmex. I saw one lying around a few years back. Baka nandoon pa.

Calling Eric. Time to call Steve H. and ask for some mic pre leads. Better yet make one! :twisted:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby rs241 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:00 am

Neumann U-47! man! I've only seen those on pictures. I am by no means an expert but quite possibly you can get as good results as Roy Dunann but it won't probably come instantly - not without a price. I'm sure he had to go through a lot before he finally perfected his recording techniques. No difference for example to a seasoned cook and someone who is just learning the trade. You can give both the same recipe, ingredients, cooking paraphernalia and what not but I would be surprised if both will come up with the same results. Well, this is assuming that you don't have any prior experience nor background in recording.

About Neumann mics, the U-47's use an ultra-rare and expensive signal pentode with the designation VF14. A NOS one with microphone grade "M" mark can cost well over $1k. Hence, some of these mics were adapted to use FET amplification instead.

Incidentally, another great recording - Cantate Domindo was recorded with a rather simple rig consisting of a Revox A77 and a couple of Pearl TC4 mics.
rs241
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:44 am

thanks for the reply. i was just curious because i've been in touch with people who collectively, in theory of course, have the capability to pull this off. i recently met someone who collects and tweaks open reel recorders and personally knows the new owner of polydors lp pressing equipment in germany. oh well, its of no cost to day dream right? but maybe one day........... 8)
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:35 pm

Send my regards to Franck. Siya ba?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby detubo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:12 pm

JackD201 wrote:Send my regards to Franck. Siya ba?

yup
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:07 am

Does this mean detoobs' graham will be doing the bouncy bouncy? :twisted:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby zach » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:51 am

ey bro, are they by any chance for sale? :D hhehe
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:04 pm

zach wrote:ey bro, are they by any chance for sale? :D hhehe

sorry, hypothetical lang yan
detubo
Master
Master

Re: stereo recording question

Postby bdiament » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:59 am

detubo wrote:roy dunann recorded "way out west" with a portable open reel tape recorder and 2 mono mics to create some of the best sonic ever put in vinyl and beat most of these commercial recording using million $ gears. question: if, hypothetically, my uncle mj passed on to me his revox open reel and 2 nuemann U-47 mics, could i come up with a recording that would bring even the most astute odyapyle to take notice?

Hi detubo,

Yes you can.
For more information, check out the two part article I wrote called "Recording in Stereo" at
http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/recording1.htm
and
http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/recording2.htm

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com
bdiament
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rvc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:01 pm

jack, idol talaga kita!
rvc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:37 pm

read the write up. now if only i can get my hands on a decent reel to reel a 2 omni mics
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:55 pm

detubo wrote:read the write up. now if only i can get my hands on a decent reel to reel a 2 omni mics

eBay

:wink:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby detubo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:36 pm

JackD201 wrote:
detubo wrote:read the write up. now if only i can get my hands on a decent reel to reel a 2 omni mics

eBay

:wink:

you're amazing. just give me a shout when your revox b77 arrives. don't forget the omni mikes. lakas ko talaga.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Huy ikaw ang mag ebay hindi ako! :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Return to Technical Archives