A Brief link to Loudspeaker History

Moderator: JackD201

A Brief link to Loudspeaker History

Postby JackD201 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:29 am

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/loudspeaker.html

Take a peek then try to remember the earliest speaker you ever heard.

How vintage are you? ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ichabod » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:04 am

I belong to the late 50s era, so tubes and ARs, JBLs, Altecs, Quads, and those speakers you can buy at abenson or along raon st. like Utahs, Jensen, Universities, EV, along with Sansui, Pioneer, Coral, together with early mass market Jap amps people were buying. I remember quite well having blank open reel tapes recorded with various artists of the era using scotts, fishers, dynacos, when ss amps were just flourishing around replacing (sadly) those nice sounding tube amps. I remember quite vividly the recording tech making a comment about the not so good sound from early ss amps (like the new fishers and scotts when they started their own ss amps) while doing tape to tape recordings using tube amps still. Yong scott sabi niya malamig ang sound, yong fisher bloomy ang bajo and mids, and so forth. This was stereo exchange at aurora blvd. Those were the old good ole days in audio. They've never left me and the impression remains the same despite what other things have come my way in the Nad 3020, Sony, Ortofon, Denon, Ar, Luxman, and the like.

That in the nutshell is how vintage is my audio!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:16 pm

Wow a veteran of Manong Fred De Leon ka pala James. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ichabod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:37 am

Good place to hang out and wait while they record the tapes. Yes Fred de Leon the owner. Nice guy to talk to about tube amps.

There's another place near Magnolia, Empire Electronics, the house of Altec Lansings and Bozak speakers. Lotsa master tapes to record from! Camelot was a hit around that time, and they had the original soundtrack of the London cast!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby keith » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 am

Wow James. Small world. Our parents with Jack were very good friends with "Tito Fred." My dad and Tito Fred were very close. Up to now we do touch base with his family, who are mostly based abroad now.
keith
walastick

Postby ichabod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:12 am

That's really nice to know Keith. Fred was very accomodating all the time we were in his shop with my pianist friend, my kababata. They had many tube amps from Clark and Gapo I suppose. I even first heard the Quad 57s in that small place being driven by a fisher amp. I was a young lad then who loved my old folks' standard songs, and Fred had lotsa those! So we gravitated to his place almost every week from Sta Mesa. Small world indeed since our love for audio may have come forth from that same old familiar audio shop that was. At least the original poster can still consider this as part of audio history from this side of the pond.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Technical Archives