TechDAS

Moderators: JackD201, keith

TechDAS

Postby keith » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Here we go again. Jack continues to have his ear to the ground (a la Tonto) searching for new offerings from PureSound. We're proud to announce that TechDas has arrived on our shores.

With Jack away, I spirited away the newly arrived TechDAS D-7i DAC. From the TechDAS website:

"The first release from TechDAS is DA converter with high performance, high functionality and high sound quality. Recently, new music sources called PC audio or network audio appeared and large number of DA converters supporting USB is produced. High sound quality sources that exceed traditional packaged media such as high-resolution source or datastreaming through the web sound data have possibility and ability to become the major music source in the future. However, the market is full with products that are not making full use of high sound quality music source. The Stella team is concerned that this might lead the experienced audio/music lovers to misunderstand the possibility of new music sources. It is clear that sound quality would not be satisfying when the sound of the DA converter itself is bad even with high-resolution music sources. We aimed to develop a DA converter with performance, sound quality and musicality that will fully work as high-end audio in an affordable price for ourselves. We understand that the price is relatively higher than other DA converters supporting USB but we are confident that the sound quality and musicality that cannot be described in the specifications are competitive with imported products that cost twice as much.

•Supporting DSD files by DSD Over PCM (DoP)

The Wolfson WM8741, TechDAS D-7 series employed for D/A chip has an capability to process the DSD file in native.
The D-7i/192DSD and D-7/192DSD is supporting the DSD file through by theDSD Over PCM (DoP) Spec.

•Supporting USB 192kHz

Fully prepared for the coming of age of high resolution.
USB input: Perfect construction to give sound quality top priority based on asynchronous transmission by XMOS made controller and dedicated software. Perfectly supports 176.4/192kHz, 24bit.

Supporting OS: WINDOWS XP (SP2 or later,) WINDOWS Vista, WINDOWS 7, Mac OSX 10.6 or later. WINDOWS OS needs to be installed with attached driver

•Digital input: Up to 192kHz for also TOS, RCA input

•Supporting iPod Digital Out
D-7i/192DSD, "i" model Enables direct digital input from iPod by connecting the USB cable attached to iPod into the front USB-A terminal.This function allows you to use your iPod as a high-end audio player.

*The front USB-A terminal is also mounted on D-7/192DSD but not functional.

•High performance D/A converter

High grade DAC chip corresponding 192kHz made by the established Wolfson from England is used. All input terminals accept up to 192kHz/24bit for digital input. Ensures low jitter by mounting a dedicated clock in D/A.

•Powerful power supply

The key of the sound quality for audio products is the power. TechDAS designed a full-scale power supply ignoring costs. Adopts power circuit with large leeway by using two high capacity power transformers with one of them used as an independent power supply dedicated for analog circuit.Provides convincible music reproduction by solid sound structure with energy on each particles of the sound.

•External clock input terminal

External clock input terminal accepting 10MHz standard signal enabling higher-grade performance in connection with atom clocks or other clocks.

•Sampling rate converter

Sampling rate converter mounted to reduce jitter for all digital inputs.Integral multiple upsampling is selectable between x1, x2 and x4 by the switch on the front panel (up to x2 for 88.2kHz and 96kHz signals.)

•Balanced output (XLR) and single ended (RCA)

DAC output: Balanced output is equipped as standard in addition to single ended (RCA). Perfect for usage as high-end DA converter.

•Pre-output terminal (RCA)

Variable pre-output is included as standard equipment enabling usage as DAC-Pre. Volume carefully selected giving highest priority to sound quality enables to build a compact system with high sound quality by connecting with power amplifiers or speakers with built-in amplifiers.

•Digital output terminal (SPDIF)

Digital output terminal (SPDIF) on the back panel corresponds with sampling rate converter and can be used as an upsampling converter. It can also be used as DD converter that converts USB input to SPDIF

*Apple policy does not allow digital output for iPod input.

•High-grade headphone amplifier

Equipped with standard headphone jack. High-grade headphone amplifier based on dedicated board fully drives high impedance high-end audio headphones and provides excellent sound quality and S/N.

Board structure with high expandability
Structure of internal board layout: Boards from each parts -digital part, analog part and USB interface part- are independent of each other. This will create the merit to prepare for future updates, as well as to take care of the sound quality by preventing mutual interference.

•Future expandability

Possible to add LAN terminal in the future. Also possible to support network audio with future update."

I never thought my Accuphase would ever be doing transport duties, but using TechDAS' DAC at 44.1 kHz (I haven't evaluated the upsampling features), I am definitely enjoying myself. As to trying out DSD using a PC/Mac or a server, I don't have the hard drive space at the moment, so that will have to wait. In the meantime, here are some actual photos.

keith
walastick

Re: TechDAS

Postby JackD201 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Anakanang........medjo bitin naman brad, that's all ya got ta say? :@ Uwi na nga ako!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sidenote: While the TechDAS AF turntable which has just gotten rave reviews from Harry Pearson and Mikey Fremer has gotten all the attention and all the Ultra Hi-End boards buzzing, the D7 was actually TechDAS' first product. The D7 was featured earlier this year in one of Lamm's :) rooms at CES 2013 with it's TT brother, Graham Elite, ZYX UNiverse 2, the Lamm L2 Reference, Lamm LP2, two pairs of ML2.2 SETs and Verity's veritable Lonhengrin II. Cabling by Kubala-Sosna. Racks by Critical Mass Systems. :)
JackD201
Immortal

TechDAS

Postby keith » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Hey give me a break. It's only been hours. ;-) Before I left for anticipated Sunday mass, I was able to listen to some piano pieces and some jazz vocals. The TechDAS has yet to disappoint. Heck, it is straight out of the box and it is sounding this way. I'm impressed. I'm leaving the Accuphase and TechDAS on loop overnight. I'm curious how much more it will open up after tens of hours.

This early though, It has that warmth and three dimensionality that I'm accustomed to from all the DACs and players that have visited my humble abode. I love how it sounds. Pretty analogue-like if you ask me. And you guys do know my frustration of not being able to bring home a turntable.

To be continued ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keith
walastick

Postby JackD201 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 pm

I used it all afternoon yesterday playing everything from The Doors to Salvatore Accardo.

Puwede na rin :?: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Superman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:35 pm

SRP sir?
Superman
Master Showman

Postby JackD201 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 pm

6.5k USD bro.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Superman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:34 pm

JackD201 wrote:6.5k USD bro.

Wowowee!!! That's literally a GEM!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby JackD201 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:37 am

There was a kiddie swimming party at Emperor's today so I brought my laptop and the D7 to find out how the little guy sounded in the most revealing system I've ever heard. Very sweet but detailed top end and very textured mids over the Siegfried II driven VR-11 Mk2s. The low end was tuneful and deep but not as solid and punchy as the EMMlabs DAC6 or the Tentation. All in all, very very good. Muntik nang hindi ako payagang iuwi ng may-ari ng bahay. :D :D :D

Next stop, the Lair where I get to compare it with our range topping DAC the Light Harmonic Da Vinci. :devil:
JackD201
Immortal

Return to >> Von Schweikert, Lamm, LSA/DK Design, CMS <<