Fraternal Twins the VSA way

Moderators: JackD201, keith

Fraternal Twins the VSA way

Postby JackD201 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Ferdinand Piech set the automotive world on fire. A grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, the man eventually became head of VW. The Veyron, Audi Quattro, Audi R8 and the new generations of Bentleys assured his place in automotive history but he did much more. VW popularized the use of common chassis across the VW groups many models and brands. The chassis for the Golf is shared by SEAT and the Audi A3. The Passat and the A4 share the same chassis, so on and so forth. This seemingly simple idea has allowed VW to come back and come back strong by offering various levels of performance like rungs on a ladder while keeping costs lower. The savings are then passed on to the customers.

A few short years ago, VSA delivered it's first fraternal twin. Using the same basic "chassis" as the VR-4 SR, the Ebony VR-5 SE, affectionally named Juan (as in Serial No. 000Juan :lol: ) arrived and saw active duty in the Lair.

VR-4 SR Mk3

VR-5 SE

Those with sharp eyes will notice that the VR-5's used the exact drivers as these

The VR-9s and the VR-11s

So how exactly did this come about? Albert and I, having the same interest in automobiles were talking on the phone. I had asked if he would consider doing what's tantamount to an M Car or an AMG version of the VR-4s using the 9 and 11 circuitry and drivers. And so it came to pass.

In the meantime, hard times had befallen the United States, times the largest economy in the world has still not fully recovered from. Needing to provide good products for a market whose disposable incomes had just been whacked silly and also to continue to be relevant, Albert did something even I never expected. He came out with a loudspeaker that was ground down to what he deemed the barest essentials without sacrificing. He threw out all the fancy cabinetry and went back the VSA look of yesteryear and to sell factory direct like Magnepan had done before with the famous MMG. As audiophiles begun downsizing their homes across the US part of the design goals was to be able to deliver deep bass while saving as much floor space as possible.The result was a loudspeaker with typical VSA performance for, get this, $3,750. Folks meet the VR-33. From what I've gathered from their owners in the US, they ain't much to look at but they sure can sing.

VR-33

So successful has this model been in the US that VSA despite the recession, moved to a larger facility. But what about the rest of the world? Since the VR-33 is factory direct, VSA can't afford to sell it abroad for the same price obviously because the cost would actually be given taxes and freight more in the ballpark of $5,500 without leaving us poor dealers any Chippy and Coca-Cola money. We still have to pay our people so what the heck could VSA give us now that we internationals have people asking us for the VR-33? Meet the second fraternal twin, the VR-35 Export Edition.

VR-35 Export Deluxe

You're eyes will have to be much sharper because the cloth covers the different drivers. The only giveaway would be the Rhodium Binding Posts and the shinier end caps. Like the VR-5 is the M or AMG version of the VR-4, this fraternal twin, is the hotrod version of the VR-33. Available both in the US and everywhere else, the 35 uses the triple wall construction first introduced in the Unifield 3, has different drivers and while the 33s come with excellent mid level Mundorfs, again like the 5s, 9s and 11s, you'll find a certain Teflon cap inside :devil: Lots of them! The best news is that if you happened to be hankering for a VR-33 that will cost you $5,500 or more , the VR-35, a much better loudspeaker can be had for $8,000 LIST. You know we always try our best to fall under US retail.

Here's the deal. For the FIRST person that PMs me or Keith and makes a firm order with a downpayment, we will sell you the buena mano unit at 0 mark-up. Yup, open books. You pay what we pay out, but installation and delivery by us will be free. This is a one shot deal just like the Unifield 1 auction. Why are we doing this? We just want to hear what the heck everybody's raving about!

We will keep everything confidential. Remember, do not post your intention. PM. :)

Thanks for reading!!!!!

Oh and here's a review you might want to read.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superiorau ... deluxe.htm
JackD201
Immortal

Re: Fraternal Twins the VSA way

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:26 am

We have a PM reply. We will post if the deal is consummated. In the meantime feel free to continue to PM so you can be in the queue.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Lock-a-doodle-doo! Congratulations Mr. Buena Mano :)
JackD201
Immortal

Re: Fraternal Twins the VSA way: VR-35

Postby O.D. Yeo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Hey Jack,

Guess what I found on EnjoytheMusic.com's Best of 2011 Blue Note Equipment Awards today:

Loudspeakers

Von Schweikert VR-35 Export Deluxe Loudspeakers

My Blue Note Award this year is going to the new Von Schweikert VR-35 Export Deluxe loudspeaker. On the front panel are two twin six inch (170mm) bass-mid range ScanSpeak drivers with composite cones consisting of paper, plastic, resin, and carbon fiber. Using an M-T-M array setup a One-inch (25mm) Silk Dome Dual Ring Wide Surround Radiator is mounted in-between the two bass-midrange drivers for an increased sound field with better imaging and off-axis response. Around back facing the wall is a ten inch (250mm) rear-firing Scan-Design woofer crossed over at 80 Hz using a Triple Chambered Transmission Line hybrid. The VR-35 uses premium drivers, hand-picked at the factory for Grade-A response (+/- 1dB) and features five-way binding posts with a polished rhodium plate for better looks, sound and a bi-wiring option. It comes with US-made copper foil and Teflon dielectric caps manufactured for VSA by a major OEM company which by themselves have a combined retail cost of $3,600. Six caps are needed (3 in each loudspeaker) with a retail cost of about $600 each. These foil and Teflon caps allow the VR-35 to obtain a high degree of transparency. Made to be placed close to the rear wall it did not dominate my room allowing for more living space in my modest home. After a long break-in period followed by a few days of placement experiments it finally dawned on me just how incredible the VR-35’s actually are. All my efforts paid off as one magical musical experience after another revealed previously hidden treasure within my CD and Vinyl collection. Their motto that, "Every Listening Session Will Become an Event Not Soon Forgotten..." was one with which I can whole heartily agree. For $7995 it must be considered a worthy contender to the throne. Albert Von Schweikert, through the creation of the VR-35, has given us a design that can be tucked out of the way due to size, shape and placement considerations, does not cost a small fortune and sounds like loudspeakers costing considerably more. My review sample came in a pure black cloth outer covering with a piano black finish on both the top and bottom caps. They VR-35's were elegant looking, meeting my wife’s high standard of approval. We loved them so much, we purchased the review sample, what else can I say. -- Anthony Nicosia
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Wow! How could I have forgotten to post that! Thanks O.D.!

Damon and I were having coffee when he got the Text. Apparently around 120 products reviewed and the VR-35 was one of 12 (or was it 18?) selected. We'll be hearing them for ourselves in a few weeks, won't we? :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JoeyGS » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:49 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JackD201 wrote:Wow! How could I have forgotten to post that! Thanks O.D.!

Damon and I were having coffee when he got the Text. Apparently around 120 products reviewed and the VR-35 was one of 12 (or was it 18?) selected. We'll be hearing them for ourselves in a few weeks, won't we? :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby qguy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:08 pm

JackD201 wrote:Wow! How could I have forgotten to post that! Thanks O.D.!

Will this be present come November ?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:39 pm

The plan is to show the Unifield 1 with Valvet and EERA electronics. The VR-35s will have a happy owner and I doubt that that unit will be leaving his house :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There is also a possibility of a new VSA VR Series model making it's Asian debut in lieu of or alongside the Unifield 1 if that model can make it to Rocky Mountain Audiofest and then be flown here. We're crossing our fingers for that new model. :x :x :x
JackD201
Immortal

Postby O.D. Yeo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 pm

O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 pm

they're nice speakers. here's mine, driven by Trodt 6c33-b 8)
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to >> Von Schweikert, Lamm, LSA/DK Design, CMS <<