VR-4 SR Mk2 by Rick Becker Enjoy the Music

Moderators: JackD201, keith

VR-4 SR Mk2 by Rick Becker Enjoy the Music

Postby JackD201 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:44 am

The SRs are currently the entry point into the VSA Premium Line experience. Designed to be more forgiving than their more demanding brothers the VR-5 Anniversary, VR-9 SE and the mind boggling VR-11 SE. While not inexpensive, they represent a great portion of what their heralded siblings offer at less than 1/2, 1/8, and 1/15th respectively. VSA speakers are the reference speakers of at least 8 professional reviewers I've come across as well as mastering monitors in many professional houses. They hold a special place for those that hold transparency and true full range reproduction in high regard. In an industry filled with hype, something even VSA's marketing speak is prone to :lol:, few can actually deliver.

SRs have sold almost as well as the JRs over here and while the owners aren't WS members except for Crisdlr who owns a pair of the original run SRs, we can safely say as Becker does that in the varied system configurations the SRs were never the limiting factor instead acting like a blank canvass for their owners to paint their desired musical landscape whether using tubes, solid state, IcePower amps, digital analog and in one instance fronted by no less than a cartridge costing almost twice as much as the speakers themselves. A commonality between our own experiences and the many VSA reviews is the "you are there" experience. I call my VRs "my teleporter" as does Keith and the other Bozanians. Again RB, like those that have come before him, mentioned the very same experience in this review. If you read carefully, you'll find it. If moving through space and time sounds like a cool concept to you, if you have the desire to achieve this, like us you might find that VSA can be your launch pad. We've been there and done that so we can help you do the same. Suit up!

Enjoy the snippet of Rick Becker's review from enjoythemusic.com below folks. I'll consolidate the other reviews as well.

Summary

It wasn't until the final combination of products came together that the Mk2 became as fast and coherent as electrostatics, as Albert claimed. That is quite an achievement. True, my front end could use some upgrading, but I think I've pointed you in the right direction here. Be clear; this is a Real World loudspeaker that is capable of world-class performance in medium to moderately large rooms. To reach that goal, you will need to surround it with very fine components connected with high quality cables. Tweak your system and tune your room and you will be handsomely rewarded. The Sound Dead Steel Isofeet will be very helpful in this regard.

In small to medium size rooms the newer version of the JRs with the right amplification might do you very well. They've risen in price to $5695 and are on backorder as I write this in mid December 2007. If you wish to step up a notch or two consider the new Anniversary JR at $6000/pr. in African Hazelwood or the Signature version in Steinway High-gloss black with Mundorf capacitors at $7500/pair.

Successful manufacturers have a knack for properly pricing their products. Overpriced or under-selling products have a way of falling by the wayside as the technology evolves. Albert Von Schweikert and his staff are clearly among the very elite manufacturers of our time. It came as no surprise that the VR-4SR Mk2 was as good as it was. What surprised me was how good it became with the addition of the modest Sound Dead Steel Isofeet and the new Von Schweikert speaker cable. Not only is it as good, if not better than other American made loudspeakers at much higher prices, given the weak United States dollar, it trumps most everything in its league from abroad. In this upper echelon, the VR-4SR Mk2 loudspeakers have outstanding value. If you are on the verge of purchasing a new loudspeaker, this could easily be the one, which is to say it has my highest recommendation. If you can't find them locally, book a flight and go have a listen.

Read the full article here http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superiorau ... sr_mk2.htm
JackD201
Immortal

Return to >> Von Schweikert, Lamm, LSA/DK Design, CMS <<