New Bozanian

Moderators: JackD201, keith

New Bozanian

Postby JackD201 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Greg Weaver, Senior Editor of Positive Feedback Online received his review units of VR-5SE Anniversary Editions a few months back. While the formal review has yet to come out in PFO, he divulges the most telling fact in his personal website http://www.theaudioanalyst.com./. (click on the "system" tab for a look see :) )

Greg Weaver is buying the pair :twisted:

Welcome to Bozania Greg!!!!!!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Superman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:43 pm

WOW! :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :shock: :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Superman
Master Showman

Postby Voltraizer » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Good News for Bozania! :!:.....

:D: :D: :D:
another good idea i found when I clicked on the "warped lp" section and guess what :!: :?:
remember that absolutely pristine-looking Mobile Fidelity copy of Katy Lied you found mixed in with all the Mitch Miller sing-a-longs and children’s Christmas records at that garage sale two years ago -- the one that you paid all of $.50 for even though it was too warped to play? Or how ‘bout that original Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s that your dad gave you for the same reason 30 years ago rather than just throw away? Ha! Go get ‘em Musical Meddlers, it’s time to play ‘em. Well, almost. You’d be amazed with what you can accomplish with two pieces of glass and your oven.

No, I’ve not gone off the deep end. I’ve been able to restore to service just about any warped record I’ve run across, but not without a few crash and burns along the way. The first thing I have to caution you about when using this method is that it is a process you have to practice. Start with old, unimportant records. That way, should something go wrong before you master the process, you won’t decry the loss of a precious and irreplaceable treasure.

If you are like most vinyl collectors, you have one or two slightly warped pieces lying in wait. If not, you can troll the local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores, where you may be able to dredge up a couple of warped discs for next to nothing to experiment with and get your process perfected. No letters if you ruin one or two records in the process please -- use this method ONLY at your own risk. I assure you, once you’ve gotten this method down, you’ll be glad you took the extra time to iron out (sorry, I couldn’t resist) the wrinkles in the process.

The first thing you’ll need to do is call or stop by a local glass shop -- not one of those drive-to-your-parking-lot-to-replace-your-cracked-windshield places (unless they do plate glass too), but someone who specializes in cutting and installing plate glass. Order up two 1/4" thick, 14" square pieces of tempered glass. MAKE SURE to get tempered glass. Regular plate glass isn’t durable enough to take the heat and abuse we are going to dish out. Though I got mine for about $6 over 10 years ago, a local company informed me that two plates cut to these dimensions shouldn’t set you back more than $20. When you get them home, clean them thoroughly, both sides, with a glass cleaner that leaves no residue and use a cloth that leaves no lint behind. No paper towels, please!

Stoke your oven, place the baking rack in the center, set the dial to 150 degrees, and let the oven pre-heat. Make sure the record you are about to restore is as clean as humanly possible. I suggest something like the Disc Doctor’s Miracle Record Cleaner, LAST’s Power Cleaner, or maybe even my own recipe. Don’t be afraid to clean the record twice just to be safe. I would even recommend a distilled-water bath after both cleanings, just to be sure that you have removed all residue and debris from the surface of the record. What you are about to do next COULD bond any residual dirt, dust or debris to the record for the rest of its life, so be SURE the record is as clean as you can get it.

Now, place the immaculate record in the center of one of the glass plates, gently lower the other one on top of it and gingerly place your vinyl sandwich on the rack. Now all you have to do is set the timer for 12 minutes and wait. Remember what I said about trial and error? This is the trial part. The actual time will vary with vinyl quality and thickness, but 12 minutes is a safe starting point.

When time is up, take the warm sandwich out of the oven and place it on a cooling rack for about half an hour, or until the entire sandwich is cool to the touch and back to room temperature. Don’t take any shortcuts here, or you won’t have achieved anything. All your care and effort will have been for nothing. Carefully separate the two panes of glass and inspect the record. If you find you haven’t succeeded after the first try, give it a second go, increasing the in-oven time by two to three minutes per try until you nail it. But if all looks like the pre-Copernican view of the earth, you just made a swan of an ugly duckling. Enjoy.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: 8)
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

question...

Postby Pause » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:14 pm

...what's with the Bozania fetish? Is there an in-joke or fact that I'm missing? Are one of the VS designers named Armstrong or something? :D
Last edited by Pause on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pause
Citizen
Citizen

Re: question...

Postby Superman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Pause wrote:...what's with the Bozania fetish? Is there an in-joke or fact that I'm missing? Are one of the VS desingers named Armstrong or something? :D

I suggest you read through all the VS threads...You'll find out why
Superman
Master Showman

All? : )

Postby Pause » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:23 pm

That'll take all night :D Now I'm getting really intrigued with these speakers.
Pause
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 am

Terry, these are the improved versions of the speakers that elicited the comment from you about sounding exactly like being in a jazz club ;)

Freaky huh? :D
JackD201
Immortal

at the risk of sounding like a Penthouse forum letter...

Postby Pause » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:39 am

Ok I was late and on my way out of the VSA Lair, trying to get out as quickly as possible to the waiting wife and kids downstairs without seeming rude to my gracious hosts Jack and Keith.
I go through the dividing doors and enter the main listening area and hear that the vr5's are playing on the Lamm system so I figure what the hell lets have a listen.
So for five minutes I listened to the VR5s playing a lively instrumental piece and at the end of the five minutes, I swear it was THE most realistic reproduced sound I've ever heard.
Mind you it was only five minutes and one track but wow I can't quite remember how many " holy sh*t!s " I said under my breathe that day but they were a lot.
I heard a similar sound to these speakers recently, it was at the second floor of the Manila Peninsula listening to the live ensemble they had there :D
Now I may be a newbie to Wiredstate but I've been into audio for a long time and over the years I've snuck into a few listening sessions that included the Darth Vader-esque Wilsons, Utopias, Electras, C2s and the almighty Evidence ( albeit fresh out of the box ) but nothing quite came close to the realism I heard from those VR5's.
I don't know what exactly it was about the VR5s that made them sound so convincing since I think you would really have to listen very critically to truly put this speakers considerable strengths into words but one aspect that I noticed immediately is the bass. It was real world bass, not bass for impressive bass sake or an intellectual, dry lean version of bass but real honest to goodness bass.
All the other things like soundstaging, midrange, grain, bloom yadda yadda yadda i didn't even bother scrutinising, what for? It sounded so real it was pointless.
Pause
Citizen
Citizen

Cong. R. Biazon

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:47 pm

jack,
is cong. Ruffie a Bozanian? I was watching his interview on ANC and saw what looked like a vr4jr. What bothered me was that he had it placed all the way to a corner, where i don't think it deserves to be.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: New Bozanian

Postby JackD201 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi O.D. I really don't know. His bilas owns a pair of juniors but moved up to VR-5s. Ruffy might have borrowed this from R.J. I'll find out :) Ruffy is my kumpare so I'd gladly help him set them up if he indeed bought them.
JackD201
Immortal

Greg Weaver official VR-5 review at PFO

Postby JackD201 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:35 am

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4 ... ersary.htm

GW's currently reviewing some new Wavac monoblocks I hear. Can't wait for that review to come out!
JackD201
Immortal

Return to >> Von Schweikert, Lamm, LSA/DK Design, CMS <<