Lamm Products (prod profile added)

Moderators: JackD201, keith

Lamm Products (prod profile added)

Postby JackD201 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Welcome to the world of Lamm. Makers of the most universally praised high performance audio electronic products in the world. Armed with four patents, Lamm electronics are unique in their ability to maintain, among other things, harmonic distortion in a very narrow range across the entire audio spectrum DESPITE CHANGES IN IMPEDANCE DUE TO FREQUENCY. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

What does that mean to music lovers like us? It means that each musical event’s envelope remains intact from initial transient to final decay while retaining the essential harmonic attributes required for the sustain of each event. It means that you will experience micro-dynamic events like little chimes even as macro-dynamic events like heavy piano strikes take place at the same time by giving each event its own space. It means music will speak to you with one voice with seemingly limitless layers. It means loud or soft each event sounds more real. Put this all together and as you will later see in the compendium of reviews. Lamm gear makes recorded music sound alive.

Meet the members of the Lamm family. Each defined by their use. Each one a contender for world’s best. Other products will be added.

All-Tube Linestage
LL2 Deluxe

Tube Complement:

V101 - 12AU7A (left channel, first amplification stage)
V103 - 6DJ8 (left channel, second amplification stage)
V102 - 12AU7A (right channel, first amplification stage)
V104 - 6DJ8 (right channel, second amplification stage)
V105 - 6X4/6202 (full wave voltage rectifier)

…The involvement level of the LL2 is so intense, so deep, and so much like music that my words end up getting in the way – which, of course, makes writing a review a pretty difficult task

…Most preamps seem to be able to get the jump and leading edge of cymbals right or the shimmer of brass right, but the LL2 gets both so perfectly correct that it really made every other preamp I’ve heard sound mechanical and, well, wrong.

…I often found myself reacting physically to sounds in the soundstage. The LL2 speaks to me more as a musical instrument than as a piece of gear, which is the highest praise I can offer. Todd Warnke, soundstage.com

-------------------

…Considering its price point, the LL2 line stage's level of performance is nothing short of sensational. Its blend of tonal neutrality, speed, control, and harmonic purity add up to a sure recipe for musical excellence. It is capable of competing in the highest audiophile arena, while its slight spatial reticence and textural softness are easy to live with. It should readily integrate with a diverse range of systems. The LL2's ability to drive a variety of amps and exotic cables allows it to comfortably slip into an existing system without adverse complications. Let me take this opportunity to raise my glass in a toast: to Lamm Industries and Vladimir Shushurin for a job well done. Cheers! Richard Olsher, enjoythemusic.com

----------------------

…The music was so "in the room," it seemed like the speakers were unnecessary bits of furniture which had no part in making music. The Lamm presented music on the upper end of things with bite but no etching, hardness, or silvery cleanliness. Hard to criticize. The midrange, where musical life can be glorious or boring, was magnificent. Timbre was so excellent that it, rather than transients, created the impression of a live event in my room.

…If we were to have Golden Ear Awards or Recommended Component Lists, the Lamm LL2 would be one of my top choices. Larry Cox, positive-feedback.com

---------------------

...The LL2...allowed the music-making to sound more human, and more like something was happening in from of me, not just being retold. I remember in particular thinking that the staccato notes at the beginning of the third movement had a great deal more force -- I could feel them -- with the Lamm LL2 in the system...The Lamm gave the sounds of the notes more body, more feel, and especially more movement.

...In terms of its musical and sonic performance, the Lamm LL2 preamplifier doesn't tower over the other high-quality line-level preamplifiers in quite the same way that the Lamm ML2.1 power amplifier seems to tower over its competition. On the other hand, the LL2 is arguably a much better value for money: In relative terms, I've heard more expensive preamps than this, but I've never heard one that performs better; in absolute terms, judged for its musicality, the quality of its parts and construction, and its sheer design ingenuity, the Lamm LL2 is worth every penny they're asking for it. To say it more plainly: $4990 is not at all unreasonable for a preamp this good. Art Dudley, Stereophile

US MSRP $ 4,990
Last edited by JackD201 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Topic of schedules were split to

Lair Schedules and More

Thanks!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:38 am

The ML 2 Series

The Lamm ML 2 now in its ML 2.1 configuration, is considered THE standard for low power zero feedback amplification. Hmmmm. Actually at 18wpc it ain't no flea and as Stereophile's Art Dudley a Quad ESL fanatic raved about the ML 2.1 by asking Atkinson to please lower the ranking of every class A recommendation he has made. Yup enough to make a new generation Quad sing.

He says nothing can bring quads to life in the way a Lamm does. Ken Kessler de-facto historian of the LS3/5a and McIntosh, feels the same way withe the SET ML2 as well as the Hybrid ML 1.1 (Now in 1.2 reference configuration) with his LS3/5as. So do the folks at Kharma, the folks at Verity, the folks at Wilson and ehem your friendly neighborhood VS boys.

Despite the differences in speakers, all agree. This is THE "attainable" standard for the 21st century. For the trully unattainable see Lamm's own ML3 and Wavac's 833 :lol:

Meet the most highly regarded SET amplifier in the Western Hemisphere.

The ML 2.1 *Note: The ML 2.1 is a true SET -the other 6c33c tube is not paralleled it is used for voltage regulation :shock:

But don't just take our word for it.......

Here is what the prominent audio critics have said about the ML2:

...Perhaps the best sound currently attainable--treble and bass extension, lively and magical midrange, speed, great retrieval of detail, complete lack of amusical artifacts; as natural as reproduced music gets.

...The ML2s are true luxury items whose value is in the mind of their owner; to those who can afford them, they may be considered priceless.

Marc Mickelson, www.soundstage.com (March, 1999)

...the LAMM ML2 is the finest amplifier I have encountered in my system...and is the finest amplifier I have heard to date.

Sam Tellig, Stereophile (July, 1999)

...Because the first and most vivid characteristic of the Lamm ML2 is its staggering transparency and freedom from grunge, it acts like a true window into the sound. Thus, it’s a real trooper when it comes to unveiling subtle differences between components.

...Even for jaded listeners, the first dose of Lamm ML2 is something special... The transparency and sheer clarity are as good as it gets, but the ML2’s disappearing act is aided and abetted by one of the widest, deepest soundstages I’ve ever experienced...

... the Lamms behave more like a conduit for pure sound than any amp I’ve used in recent memory.

Ken Kessler, Hi-Fi News & Record Review (June, 2001)

The LAMM ML2 single-ended monoblocks are the best power amplifiers I've heard.

...Honest to G-d, listening to these amps...was like th[e] very first taste of High End audio all over again. The Lamm ML2s aren't just better than most other amps; they are so much better that you will find it hard (and a little depressing) to go back to the way things were.

...At the moment...the laurels belong to the ML2 alone.

Jonathan Valin, The Absolute Sound, issue 118 (1999)

...Listening to the ML2s presents me with music in a more lucid and understandable way than ever before. But it is not an impressive sound in a hi-fi sense. Instead it is astonishingly natural and unforced, simply clean, clear and transparent, consistent with the recording and nothing else. It is also surprisingly consistent with different speakers and source components, undisturbed by the load the amplifiers see, faithful to the signal they are fed.

...With any such transparent device, choice of pre-amp is critical. I [had] access to [a number of preamps including] Lamm's own L2 Reference line-stage. ...it's the [L2] which makes the greater musical sense, coherently and evenly, from top to bottom. It's an interesting discovery because what it shows is designer Vladimir Lamm's innate appreciation of musical balance. He's quite prepared to sacrifice hi-fi attributes in a product in order to achieve a more musically satisfying overall result. It makes the ML2s' stellar hi-fi performance all the more remarkable, for this is above all, a musically natural sounding amplifier. It presents the entire bandwidth, from deepest bass to as far up the treble range as it reaches, as a single continuous, coherent whole. There is no discernible discontinuity or change in the nature of the sound. Instead, the speed, resolution and propagation of musical energy is completely even regardless of frequency.

...It's this ability to accurately shape and deliver the energy profile of a note that sets the Lamm apart: that and the fact that it achieves the trick regardless of frequency, a particularly difficult feat for an amplifier that is driving a dynamic load. So the bass isn't just deep and powerful, fast with natural weight; it's tuneful and harmonically rich and vibrant. It's got life and detail, texture and shape. It's as far removed from 'hi-fi' slam as it's possible to be. It sounds real. So does the mid-band, and so too does the upper register. I've labored the point with the bass simply because it's so unexpected [for a single-ended amplifier -- V.L.].

…[the ML2's] quality lies not just in the delivery of musical energy, but the manner of its delivery. Like all great hi-fi, you don't hear it working. That grace extends across the range. ...the ML2 is completely consistent, ensuring that changes in space, texture and perspective imposed by the amplifier never distract the listener from the music.

...the ML2 presents the listener with a classic conundrum. Here is a low powered amplifier that will drive the whole audible spectrum with authority, speed and transparency. It will also drive awkward loads of the type that give most triodes, single-ended or not, a severe case of the heeby-jeebies accompanied by that sorry soggy bottom sensation.

...the Lamms performed flawless with everything I threw at them. They are the nearest thing to an invisible power amp I've ever come, so natural is their overall presentation.

...The ML2s don't come with rose tinted spectacles, or any of the other triode baggage. In fact, they don't sound like the traditional model of a triode at all. They aren't finicky in terms of matching, or fiddly in terms of use. Operationally speaking they are one of the best thought-out valve amps I've ever come across (they even have externally switchable international voltages). Then of course, there's the sound, which is peerless in my experience (and I've heard the amps in a whole variety of systems, situations and rooms): Triodes without the limitations, valves without the trouble. Throw out your prejudices and pre-conceptions; throw out your limited horizons too. The Lamms arrive with none of the stunted aspirations that afflict the majority of hi-fi. They also arrive with a way hefty price tag. They're worth every penny.

Roy Gregory, Hi-Fi+ (U.K.) (issue 16, 2002)

US MSRP $ 29,990
Last edited by JackD201 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:37 pm

updated

see above
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:38 am

The Lamm LP2

Well what's new? Yet another world standard Lamm product. Aren't they all anyway?

In the US and Europe the Lamm LP2 has become a true reference product. In fact it is the yardstick for even the most exotic phonostages as the Messenger and the Walker.What makes it different? It's Plug and play baby! Oh and did I say that it is actually the most affordable of the phonostages belonging in the "gold standard" club? Did I say it's a LAMM? :lol:

With a step up custom built for them by Jensen, WE 417 tubes and a 6X4 tube regulated and copper caged power supply the 40lb LP2 mates arguably the most transparent step up device with one of the most robust, agile and musical high output (MM or MI) stage in the world. All in a configuration that brings Lamm's vanishingly low velvet black noisefloor with no need to worry about loading. I use an XV-1s a fairly low output cart yet the ultra low noise floor comparable with the best solid state designs brings the XV-1s into new territory in terms of dynamic range. It may have a tad less bloom than tube pres that use 6922s but speed,resolution and ultimately musicality are beyond reproach. Besides, the Lamm amps will give one all the realistic action of music's natural ebb, flow and swell.

Perfect for the cart and step-up collecting analog enthusiasts in love with the unique voices of their cart and step up collections. Skip the hassle of toggles and knobs that are all too prone to disuse and even abuse. Forget having to crank up your preamp to the point where tube rush smears the delicate nuances of your favorite performances. Experiece true transparency where steel sounds like steel, brass like brass, wood like wood and drumskins like taught leather instead of like a childs plastic or paper toy.

Take time out to Google the reviews or better yet hear it for yourself at the Lair or demoed in your own home. Be careful of the latter though. You just may not let it leave your home.

The Lamm LP2 Deluxe msrp $ 6,990
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 pm

"I've lived with some of the best and most expensive phono preamplifiers currently in production. The Convergent Audio Technology and Jadis immediately come to mind. Let me make this perfectly clear: the LP2 exceeds the standards set by its competitors, regardless of price or prestige. It is a unique product that blends together some of the traditional solid-state strengths of solid stage designs such as bass power and low-noise, with the glorious harmonic textures and dynamic conviction of tubes. The Lamm Industries LP2 makes a statement, and it's clearly about the sonic potential of the WE 417A. This tube in the right setting has the potential to exert a powerful magnetic pull on musical detail and microdynamics, bringing low-level detail and emotions to the forefront. The LP2 is that right setting: it harnesses the 417A's total musical power. To my mind, it is easily the most important achievement in phono stage artistry of the last decade."

Olsher, Enjoythemusic.com

"The LP2 Deluxe was super-quiet in both MM (38dB gain) and MC (58dB) modes. Backgrounds were pitch-black, out of which emerged the subtlest of low-level details and graceful musical textures. In fact, the LP2 competed texturally with the Boulder 2008, and bested the Manley Steelhead in that regard, The Manley -- still my reference, and I'm still in love with it -- can sometimes sound a bit mechanical on top."

"Subtle dynamic scaling was on a par with the Boulder and notably superior to the Connoisseur, which, while maintaining a superb musical grip, seemed to jump more than it flowed, dynamically and rhythmically. The Lamm had great control of the proceedings, but also knew when to let go."

"Subtle string textures, reeds, and female voices were positively thrilling, and the size and weight of the entire picture -- especially stage depth extending well behind and in front of the speakers -- was particularly impressive. Add that to snap-you-back-in-your-seat dynamics and authoritative decay, and the Lamm became one of a handful of the finest phono sections I've ever heard."

Fremer, Stereophile

"As a committed vinylphile, I’m giddy about the significant number of superb phono stages currently available. In this era of digital everything, it’s nice to know that there’s still a viable market for LPs and the gear with which to enjoy them.

Although a relative latecomer to the analog party, the Lamm Industries LP2 offers truly extraordinary performance and is a real contender for state-of-the-art honors. With its benchmark-setting noise floor, explosive dynamics, see-through transparency, and superb extension at the frequency extremes, the LP2 should be on the proverbial short-list of anyone who’s looking for a phono stage at or well above its price range."

Chasin, Soundstage
JackD201
Immortal

/

Postby juju » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:09 am

Hi jack

where can i listen to lamm preamps?

juju
juju
Citizen
Citizen

Audition

Postby JackD201 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi Juju,

Auditions can be scheduled at the Lair. You can just PM me or keith for schedule and details. Please feel free to bring any of your favorite recordings digital or analog.

The Lair is at Wack Wack Twin Towers, Mandaluyong. In front of Wack Wack Golf Club just off the Petron station on Shaw Blvd.

Hope to see you soon. :)

Jack
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:13 pm

TEASER ;) More to follow

Lamm M1.2 Reference and M2.2 Hybrid Power Amplifiers

JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 pm

M1.2 and 2.2 Hybrids

Many amps have come along described as bridging the gap between tubes and solid state by allowing the resolution of tubes and the dynamics of solid state. Meet the duo that has obliterated the stereo type.

I've lived with some really good toobs and some of the best SS. At one point I even pondered bi-amping with my primo pair. In came the 220wpc Single Ended Zero Feedback M2.2s from Lamm. A true paradox. Lair visitors familiar with the evolution of the system have left the building scratching their heads. Why? Because the sound is warmer, more liquid and sweeter but at the same time is faster, more detailed and possesses the ability to pound you into the ground. :lol: Images float and pulsate yet are solidly grounded. This is exactly the way things are with their Reference sibling the M1.2 now being burned in at Bozanian Emperor Zambazil's Chamber. The 1.2 has even more texture and nuance at only the slight penalty of less power. Power not needed for his incoming 96dB sensitive VR-9 SEs.

Here is a pic with Draco's VR-5s on loan.

JackD201
Immortal

Re: Lamm Products (prod profile added)

Postby fld » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:03 am

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/on_the_lamm_again.htm

On the Lamm Again

by Paul Bolin | October 12, 2009

or a long list of personal and financial reasons no sane person would ever want to read, I was without a stereo system for an extended period. About a year ago, I got things up and running again, but I was still missing my most cherished reference components, my Lamm M1.2 Reference mono amplifiers ($22,290/pair). I knew that I was lucky to have available for use a thoroughly respectable high-power solid-state amp that had been lurking around my premises for the last eight years or so, but I missed my Lamms. Little did I know how much I missed them.

I reviewed the '1.2 back in the February 2005 issue of Stereophile and proclaimed it to be the most musically involving and sonically complete amplifier I had heard, or words very much to that effect. Over the last few weeks I managed to pry my Nordost Valhalla cabling from the audiobuddy to whom I had loaned it (and who was in no hurry to give it back) and installed it throughout the system (described in my review of the Audio Research CD 5 CD player). The Valhalla's incomparable phase coherence, speed and bandwidth lifted things to another level entirely. I was quite pleased, but I wondered what would happen when the Wilson Audio Sasha W/P speakers in for review were finally connected to my ultimate reference amps.

Then came the return of the Lamms. I retrieved them this past Saturday from the tech who had handled the repairs here in the Twin Cities (with all Lamm-supplied parts, I might add), moved them into my system, turned them on and let them cook for a couple of hours. At last the time for music arrived.

An amplifier I had been quite satisfied with the previous evening suddenly sounded rather sad and lifeless -- boring, even. With the Lamms returned a sense of three-dimensionality, of living, breathing humans making music; image density was improved to a degree beyond my capabilities to express, and there was the unique sense of organic and ordered purpose to the music of CD after LP. Every recording became, once again, an event demanding full attention at all times.

How does Vladimir Lamm do it? Beats the living heck out of me. Ask him and he will tell you it is all engineering and painstakingly precise artisanal manufacturing. Press him and he will explain that every Lamm component is designed in compliance with his mathematical model of human hearing, and there his explanation ceases.

I have been listening to and reviewing the man's equipment for more than eight years, and every Lamm product has worked this same magic -- every time and in every context. Are there other great amplifiers out there in the big, broad world of high-end audio? You bet your boots there are, and I want to hear and review as many of them as I possibly can. But as things stand now, I will still be coming home to the Lamm M1.2 Reference monoblocks until I finally hear something that is more dependably full of music's vital essences regardless of what it is teamed with.

Lamm's slogan is "Quite simply...the world's best audio electronics." It takes some considerable onions to put that on the home page of one's website, but in the words of "Dandy" Don Meredith, "If you can do it, it ain't braggin'."

Vladimir Lamm ain't braggin'.

Reference, indeed.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:27 am

...all roads lead to a lamm... ;)

(the patek of audio)

congrats!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:46 pm

vintage_dog wrote:...all roads lead to a lamm... ;)

Ah, a statement that brings advanced notice of good things to come.

Congrats, Francis. :D
rtsyrtsy

Return to >> Von Schweikert, Lamm, LSA/DK Design, CMS <<