Amoeba!

by popular demand! MsM's very own forum to moderate... :-)

Moderator: m_shoe_maker

Amoeba!

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:57 pm

Outside, its just like any other store selling old stuff....... :roll:

Then it hits me :!: The stories are true! :D Tons and tons of LPs :!: :shock:

MSM is like a kid inside a huge candy store :!: :shock:

m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby bayonic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:06 pm

Happy Eating MSM !

pwede pabili ? :) :) :)
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Nice pics, MSM. Did you get some sort of neck strain from browsing those racks and racks of LPs??? :) Reminds me of my first trip to SF's Tower Records back in 1984 when there were no CDs yet in the store, only SEALED LPs of any of your music. Boy, talk about being a kid in a candy store. I can relate. The thing is, that kid in me suffered some sort of neck strain after making 'babad' at the store for many many hours...But the thing is, I would always have the urge to go back to that store the day after....Masarap magbabad sa vinyl. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:12 pm

bayonic wrote:Happy Eating MSM !

pwede pabili ? :) :) :)

I went there last November 05. :) Ngayon lang sinipag to upload the pics. :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:19 pm

jadis wrote:Nice pics, MSM. Did you get some sort of neck strain from browsing those racks and racks of LPs??? :) Reminds me of my first trip to SF's Tower Records back in 1984 when there were no CDs yet in the store, only SEALED LPs of any of your music. Boy, talk about being a kid in a candy store. I can relate. The thing is, that kid in me suffered some sort of neck strain after making 'babad' at the store for many many hours...But the thing is, I would always have the urge to go back to that store the day after....Masarap magbabad sa vinyl. :)

Thanks Jadis. :) Yes, I had some sort of muscle neck strain :evil: , I had a migraine headache (I get this when I move my eyes to much to the left and right at very fast intervals) :evil: , I had a bad case of sinuses (dusty LPs) after my 4-hour stay in the shop. :evil: :evil: :evil:

But it was well worth it :!: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:00 am

That looks like Amoeba in the Haight. Used to frequent that place when I was living in So. San Fran. Last time I went there a few months ago (Nov. 9 to be exact) while passing through via SF from MD to MNL, Amoeba's LPs have shrunk from how it used to be. There were even more LPs there about 3 - 4 years ago. There is also another record store in the Haight. There is also a record store in San Mateo on 25th St., good selection not as big as Amoeba. There is also an Amoeba in Berkeley. A smaller record store in College Drive in Berkeley.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:05 am

Anytime, MSM you go to NYC let me know. I'll join you. I know of where to find the stash of goodies there. Jadis, you should also go. You guys can ship via LBC balikbayan boxes.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:15 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:That looks like Amoeba in the Haight. Used to frequent that place when I was living in So. San Fran. Last time I went there a few months ago (Nov. 9 to be exact) while passing through via SF from MD to MNL, Amoeba's LPs have shrunk from how it used to be. There were even more LPs there about 3 - 4 years ago. There is also another record store in the Haight. There is also a record store in San Mateo on 25th St., good selection not as big as Amoeba. There is also an Amoeba in Berkeley. A smaller record store in College Drive in Berkeley.

audiophileman2002,

well, it seems you just struck the local vinyl piranha/shark community with the 'amoeba strain virus'. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:30 am

Hi Jadis,
Certainly had a good time there in SF. Lived there for over 15 years.
I remember me and my buddies at the Bay Area Audio Asylum would meet at the McDonalds at the corner for breakfast before Amoeba opens. It is easier also to park on Haight early. Most of us have our notebooks so we know what we are buying and counter checking with our inventory. Akala mo professionals. We'd check out also almost simultaneously because we have to go in one vehicle usually an SUV. Clerks shake their heads as a few of them will be tied up ringing up hundreds of records. We had fun devouring that place. Can you imagine a lot were at $1 each and in good condition?
I brought a friend from Manila and we had to carry records out of there including his wife.
I'm sure you'll be ecstatic going to places like Amoeba javascript:emoticon(':D')
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:35 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:Anytime, MSM you go to NYC let me know. I'll join you. I know of where to find the stash of goodies there. Jadis, you should also go. You guys can ship via LBC balikbayan boxes.

I'd love to join up with you over there, audiophileman2002. I visited one record store that stacked their LPs like books in a library and one had to walked thru the aisles one by one to browse the LPs. Very hard to do, and I did not even know how to start. The Ameoba set up is much better. A couple of years back, my sister in law was in NYC and she knew nothing about LPs and I gave here a short list and she brought me an original RCA Living Stereo 'Hatari' at a nice price. 1s/1s to boot. I look forward to a trip to NYC soon. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:41 am

Make it soon before the piranhas finish them all!!!
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:46 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:Hi Jadis,
Certainly had a good time there in SF. Lived there for over 15 years.
I remember me and my buddies at the Bay Area Audio Asylum would meet at the McDonalds at the corner for breakfast before Amoeba opens. It is easier also to park on Haight early. Most of us have our notebooks so we know what we are buying and counter checking with our inventory. Akala mo professionals. We'd check out also almost simultaneously because we have to go in one vehicle usually an SUV. Clerks shake their heads as a few of them will be tied up ringing up hundreds of records. We had fun devouring that place. Can you imagine a lot were at $1 each and in good condition?
I brought a friend from Manila and we had to carry records out of there including his wife.
I'm sure you'll be ecstatic going to places like Amoeba javascript:emoticon(':D')

Indeed the feeling would be ecstatic. Adds more meaning to the phrase 'There's nothing like plastic'. For women, plastic means CREDIT CARD. For us, it means VINYL! :lol:

Yeah, I heard nm/m LPs there are the $1 - $2 variety. :shock:
Amazing how far your $100 can go huh. So, all roads lead to AMOEBA!!!
:)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:30 am

That Amoeba is the one at Sunset Blvd., L.A. :) I went there during Black Friday. :) While my wife went, and braved the long lines at Wallmart that day to avail of the big discounts that day, I went to Amoeba. :lol: :lol: Boy I was in for a surprise. :roll: From Cerritos, I took a cab. :roll: Damn :!: :evil: Ang layo pala :!: :evil: :evil: I paid $55 for the cab :!: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I also went to the one at Haight, S.F. :) It was a lot smaller than the one at L.A. , but none the less great also. 8) Initially my wife wanted to go, and wait for me while I was there. :evil: I told her to go wait at McDo (beside it), eat, read, meet some people, coz this will take looooooong. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: At the end of the day, my wife and I were carrying plastic bags full of New Wave LPs on our way to the bus stop, Bus # 51 please.
:)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 am

You must have an awesome time, didn't you. You can get more next time and have it shipped via Balikbayan boxes.
Also if you travel around here, pls. don't get taxis. Cheaper to just rent a small car.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:52 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:You must have an awesome time, didn't you. You can get more next time and have it shipped via Balikbayan boxes.

That's what I did with my stash from Amoeba L.A. :) I had it shipped na lang since L.A. was the start of our trip. :) We did a road trip up to S.F. via the scenic coastal road 101 and 1 (did I get the highways correct :?: ). :)

As for my Amoeba S.F. stash, I placed it in another Balikbayan Box, but it was part of our check-in luggage. :) SF was the last destination of our vacation. :)

audiophileman2002 wrote:Also if you travel around here, pls. don't get taxis. Cheaper to just rent a small car.

Yeah, that was recommended by Benny to me. :) Problem is I'm afraid of driving in the U.S., as I am a typical uncivilized Pinoy driver. :twisted: Baka mahuli ako. :lol: :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:Anytime, MSM you go to NYC let me know. I'll join you. I know of where to find the stash of goodies there. Jadis, you should also go. You guys can ship via LBC balikbayan boxes.

Thanks for the invite audiophileman2002. :) I will keep you in mind if and when I go to the East Coast. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:14 am

You got that right, I101 and Highway 1. That is a beautiful drive. Did you stop at San Simeon to have a look at the Hearst castle?
There is also close to SF on highway 1 in the city of Moss Beach a very nice romantic restaurant (Moss Beach Distillery) overlooking the ocean. Specially during chilly nights in the fall (time you were there) you can first have a drink in the open patio in front of a fire and they give you blankets so you and your loved one can cuddle up. Go check out: http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/ It is a very interesting read about the ghost of moss beach distillery.
Don't be afraid to drive. You'll be surprised that Filipinos easily adapt. The only thing that they are not used to is to stop in stop signs and that is what you watch out for. Cops will most possibly just give a warning. They know you are not local.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:27 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:You got that right, I101 and Highway 1. That is a beautiful drive. Did you stop at San Simeon to have a look at the Hearst castle?

Yup, went to see the castle. :) Grabe talaga si Hearst :!: Galit sa pera. His castle reminded me of Las Vegas - iba iba ang theme. :lol:

We passed through Sta. Barbara, Solvang, San Simeon, Monterey (loved this place :D ) sidetracked to Yosemite Park, then to SF.

audiophileman2002 wrote:There is also close to SF on highway 1 in the city of Moss Beach a very nice romantic restaurant (Moss Beach Distillery) overlooking the ocean. Specially during chilly nights in the fall (time you were there) you can first have a drink in the open patio in front of a fire and they give you blankets so you and your loved one can cuddle up. Go check out: http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/ It is a very interesting read about the ghost of moss beach distillery.

Hmmmm.... I think my wife and I missed this one. :(

audiophileman2002 wrote:Don't be afraid to drive. You'll be surprised that Filipinos easily adapt. The only thing that they are not used to is to stop in stop signs and that is what you watch out for. Cops will most possibly just give a warning. They know you are not local.

Yeah, I kept on thinking why my brother in law always stopped at intersections, even if there were no pedestrians around. :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Re: Amoeba!

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:45 am

I wanna go back! :@ :@ :@

m_shoe_maker
Idol

Re: Amoeba!

Postby JackD201 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:29 pm

It has been said that once you get Amoebiasis, it never really goes away. Kaya pala ang payat mo partner, may LBM ka pa rin :P :D :D
JackD201
Immortal

Return to Dr. MsM's clinic