Baerwald or Loefgren Alignment?

by popular demand! MsM's very own forum to moderate... :-)

Moderator: m_shoe_maker

Re: Baerwald or Loefgren Alignment?

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:55 pm

noctilux wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:Which technique do you use :?: What alignment tool do you use for it :?:

I ask coz I'm curious :?: I'm interested in getting a Wally Tractor since it has both Baerwald and Leofgren alignment arcs. 8)

Hindi ba si Leofgren yung Univesal Soldier at yung kalaban ni Rocky Balboa sa Rocky 3? Or was is Rocky 4?

Nhocts.

Si Lingenfelter yun, Nhocty. :wink: Kamag-anak nung nag ti-tweak ng mga Corvette. :twisted: :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby noctilux » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:00 pm

KD wrote:The VPI alignment tool aligns at only one point. Ano naman yon? Mabasa method?

Yung Mabasa method, parang Onanism yata. When in doubt, pull-out.
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sinar » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 pm

JackD201 wrote:
Jeanne, the headshell comes with an overhang jig too I forgot to tell you nga pala.

thanks jack. finally i'll have the original technics jig. :D
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby noctilux » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:58 pm

KD wrote:The VPI alignment tool aligns at only one point. Ano naman yon? Mabasa method?

On a seious note,

The two point alignment method generally assumes that the cantilever can be aligned at 2 tangent points on the record. The single point of vpi just makes it simpler by just doing away with the other point, with the assumption that it would still be tangent there. The 2nd point is actually still at some point of the record but vpi had assumed the user did it right at the 1st point.

For checking purposes due to sight error at the first point, the 2nd point is marked out as well. This is similar to other alignment tools such as the one I had uploaded in the analog section and the tool I use all the time, the DB Systems version. The DB system uses 121mm and 66mm points from the spindle as the "null" points or points of tangency. The Steve Rochlin protractor uses 127mm and 70mm distances from the spindle as the null points.

My geometry is a bit rusty and corroded but there must be reasons to this. I've noticed that pre mounted carts on headshells (ala ortofon and shure) for DJ tables/arms are aligned using the 127mm and 70mm distances as null points.

Any which way, modern teeny-tiny stylii today are more tolerant of tracking error unlike the huge stones of yore. Should your cart distort in the inner groove with more and more LP's, then it's a worn/damaged stylus. Time to shell out the big bucks again ... and again ...

MSM, sorry for the so many words and usage of your bandwidth.

rgds
Nhocty

PS: if your cart can't align at any of the points, however you do it, the guy who mounted the arm made a mistake. The arm pivot may be too far or too close to the record.
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ihatejazz » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:17 am

JackD201 wrote:So you have a choice of which standard you will be considered "wala sa alignment" :lol:

Jacko,

If you look at your Clearaudio alignment gauge, you have several choices but I just use the IEC 8)
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:31 pm

IHJ, okidocs tatang!

Nhocty, anong focal length maganda sa 1st point ulit? :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby noctilux » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:01 pm

JackD201 wrote:IHJ, okidocs tatang!

Nhocty, anong focal length maganda sa 1st point ulit? :lol:

JhackD,