question on the thorens td166mkII re: vta

by popular demand! MsM's very own forum to moderate... :-)

Moderator: m_shoe_maker

question on the thorens td166mkII re: vta

Postby conspicuous » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:35 am

hi msm,

i could have posted this in the thorens section but i know you had this specific model at one point in time:

i have the same model with the stock tp11 mkIII tone arm. does this have VTA? there's a screw at the base of the tone arm pivot (on the black ring just above the plate) that i tried to loosen so i could lift the arm up or down to do the VTA. but it wouldn't budge. i figured after 17 years it just got stuck up. :( :?

would you know if this arm has VTA? if none, what would you recommend. I like the sound of 200gram records but when i go back to regular records it sounds a bit thinner. VTA would help offset this.

thanks! :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Naku conspicuous, nakalimutan ko na. :oops: When I had my TD166 with the stock tonearm, I think I did not touch the VTA (if there was one). :roll: The time I had this table, wala pa akong 200 grammers. :) The tonearm was parallel to the platter when using 180 grammers. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby conspicuous » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:21 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Naku conspicuous, nakalimutan ko na. :oops: When I had my TD166 with the stock tonearm, I think I did not touch the VTA (if there was one). :roll: The time I had this table, wala pa akong 200 grammers. :) The tonearm was parallel to the platter when using 180 grammers. :)

well thanks anyway :) increasing the weight from 1.5g to 2.0g seems to have helped the sound gain more body. i also tried putting something in between the metal platter and stock rubber mat to increase the record height :P but i didn't like the effect so i stopped that :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiophileman2002 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:53 pm

Hi,
Check this out in case you haven't seen this:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/adjusting_vta.htm
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:36 am

audiophileman2002 wrote:Hi,