MSM's new TURNTABLE - for real this time :-)

by popular demand! MsM's very own forum to moderate... :-)

Moderator: m_shoe_maker

Postby Racio » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:55 am

Holy guacamole... man, I almost slipped on my own puddle of saliva... ang lupet naman talaga ng rig ni idol! Pero Fritz, reading thru the posts here, it seems that aside sa "tukso" ka na nga (sa upgrades), "pakipot" ka pa raw (sa reviews), "bitin" ka na rin (sa replies). tsk tsk. Kailan ka ba talaga "bibigay"? :twisted:

Whadaheck, since this is your forum, lemme join the fray then: what are your thoughts on them Koetsu's (the Rosewood Sig Platinum perhaps)? Might you find what you're yearning for in Sugano's creations? (I've a strange feeling that chances are I'll get a twisted answer here)
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:43 am

racio, there is something fritz is looking for that the Koetsu may not provide based on what i've heard from two Koetsu in the past :twisted:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Racio » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:57 am

arnoldc wrote:racio, there is something fritz is looking for that the Koetsu may not provide based on what i've heard from two Koetsu in the past :twisted:

Oh, what exactly did you hear pare? I was also fortunate enough to listen to two Koetsu-clad systems, Jadis' Black and JR's Onyx, but I found it impossible to isolate their signature since no cart rolling was done during those sessions.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:02 am

sshhhh ;)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:50 am

Racio wrote:I was also fortunate enough to listen to two Koetsu-clad systems, Jadis' Black and JR's Onyx, but I found it impossible to isolate their signature since no cart rolling was done during those sessions.

If I'm not mistaken, :roll:

JR's Koetsu has been retipped by Van den Hul.... :roll:
Jadis' Koetsu has been modified by Ken Chan who commissions Lyra for the work.... :roll:

Ergo, Koetsu's signature sound on those cartridges are gone or diminished. :roll:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Racio » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:24 am

arnoldc wrote:sshhhh ;)

ssshhhhh right back at you pare. hehe. :wink: :wink: :wink:

m_shoe_maker wrote:If I'm not mistaken, :roll:

Jadis' Koetsu has been modified by Ken Chan who commissions Lyra for the work.... :roll:

Ergo, Koetsu's signature sound on those cartridges are gone or diminished. :roll:

Mutant carts?! At any rate, I was still impressed. Hey, care to take a stab at my prior question above? I've read the reviews, but I'm still mystified by them Koetsu's.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:17 am

Racio wrote:

Mutant carts?! At any rate, I was still impressed. Hey, care to take a stab at my prior question above? I've read the reviews, but I'm still mystified by them Koetsu's.

Knowing the very cautious MSM well enough, I doubt if he will take a poke at something he is not familiar with moreso something he has never seen.
Try another corner!........
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:42 am

ihatejazz wrote:
Racio wrote:

Knowing the very cautious MSM well enough, I doubt if he will take a poke at something he is not familiar with moreso something he has never seen.

Yup, I've heard some"real" Koetsus decades ago, but I have never gotten the chance to personally use it, and compare it with my other carts using my own equipment at home during that time... :( So, unlike some "reviewers" who do "shotgun" or table appraisals / "reviews", I really can't say anything that would hold water. :wink:

Hey Racio, you could ask some people here who just love making "reviews" on anything they see on stores or friends' houses. :D :lol: :lol: I'm sure they can give an audiofool jargonistic statement or two. :lol: :lol: :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Hyperion » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:16 am

Koetsus are one of those work of art audio stuff that don't even need audiofool jargon to describe ... a picture alone would suffice :D :

yum Jade yum Platinum yum :D
Hyperion

Postby ihatejazz » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:37 am

Hyperion wrote:Koetsus are one of those work of art audio stuff that don't even need audiofool jargon to describe ... a picture alone would suffice :D :

Sinar,
For awhile, i thought it was the buko pandan hopia you gave me. Its a look alike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:12 pm

ihatejazz wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Koetsus are one of those work of art audio stuff that don't even need audiofool jargon to describe ... a picture alone would suffice :D :

Sinar,
For awhile, i thought it was the buko pandan hopia you gave me. Its a look alike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anong Sinar :?: :roll: Si Hyperion yun. :) Malabo na talaga mata ni Benny. :lol: Di na yan kaya mag analog. :D Pang digital ka na lang. :lol: :lol:

Akin na lang HRX at Phantom mo. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:21 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:
ihatejazz wrote:

Sinar,

Anong Sinar :?: :roll: Si Hyperion yun. :) Malabo na talaga mata ni Benny. :lol: Di na yan kaya mag analog. :D Pang digital ka na lang. :lol: :lol:

Akin na lang HRX at Phantom mo. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MSM,
my post was meant for Sinar to read. The other day, in exchange for a pair of ML camac adaptors (d kaya ako lugi?), I was given 2 boxes of hopia. One was ube and the other was buko pandan. The color of the buko pandan looked exactly like the Koetsu Hyperion posted. Naubos na ko agad kaya nun nakita ko yun Koetsu naalala ko yun hopia at na gutom ako bigla. Sarap kasi eh!!!......ng buko pandan hopia :lol: :lol: :lol:
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Racio » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:50 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
ihatejazz wrote:
Racio wrote:

Yup, I've heard some"real" Koetsus decades ago, but I have never gotten the chance to personally use it, and compare it with my other carts using my own equipment at home during that time... :( So, unlike some "reviewers" who do "shotgun" or table appraisals / "reviews", I really can't say anything that would hold water. :wink:

Hey Racio, you could ask some people here who just love making "reviews" on anything they see on stores or friends' houses. :D :lol: :lol: I'm sure they can give an audiofool jargonistic statement or two. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ganun ba? Being out of the loop for long time, I wasn't aware of the changes here at WS. So alrighty then, I get your drift, say no more. Thanks.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:11 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
Racio wrote:I was also fortunate enough to listen to two Koetsu-clad systems, Jadis' Black and JR's Onyx, but I found it impossible to isolate their signature since no cart rolling was done during those sessions.

If I'm not mistaken, :roll:

The Koetsu that I am using since 1997 till today is a Black. It is a late 70s/early 80s production. Prior to this, I was indeed using a nude Koetsu Ken Chan (modified by Scantech that makes the Lyra lines of cartridges). Ken Chan of Sound Chamber HK told me the only thing retained is the magnet of a Koetsu Rosewood, the rest of the parts supplied by Scantech and worked on by a certain Mishima-san, himself a former employee of Sugano-san.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:18 pm

jadis wrote: The Koetsu that I am using since 1997 till today is a Black. It is a late 70s/early 80s production. Prior to this, I was indeed using a nude Koetsu Ken Chan (modified by Scantech that makes the Lyra lines of cartridges). Ken Chan of Sound Chamber HK told me the only thing retained is the magnet of a Koetsu Rosewood, the rest of the parts supplied by Scantech and worked on by a certain Mishima-san, himself a former employee of Sugano-san.

I know that the Koetsu's sound is worlds apart from the Scantech sound. :) I consider their "House Sound" practically opposite sides of the cartridge spectrum. :wink: How did your modified Koetsu sound :?: Was it more of Koetsu-ish, or more of Scantech-ish :?:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:37 am

Fritz,

I would say the Koetsu Ken Chan was like 80% "Scantech-ish". It has most of the character of the then highly rated Clavis and then the Parnassus, whose most spectacular trait were transparency and superb separation of instruments in the soundfield. Ken would say that if a certain cartridge had excellent space between the instruments, the topdog Lyra would make you 'WALK AROUND THE INSTRUMENTS' . :) The midband of the Koetsu KC possessed only 'mildly' the famed Koetsu 'lushness'. It is surprising to me that despite using the Koetsu's magnet while stripping its body, the mere usage of a Scantech cantilever, stylus, and wiring made this version sound like a Lyra cartridge. My guess is that the body has a lot to do with the Koetsu house sound as evidenced by the use of such exotic materials like Rosewood, Onyx, and Jade. They now even have a Tiger Eye model. Hmm.....
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:22 pm

jadis wrote:I would say the Koetsu Ken Chan was like 80% "Scantech-ish". It has most of the character of the then highly rated Clavis and then the Parnassus, whose most spectacular trait were transparency and superb separation of instruments in the soundfield. Ken would say that if a certain cartridge had excellent space between the instruments, the topdog Lyra would make you 'WALK AROUND THE INSTRUMENTS' . :)

You got that right :!: :) Iba talaga Scantech / Lyra. Top end extension, without the etch (pitfall of a lot of MCs) is its hallmark. :) What you get is air, air and AIR between instruments. :o

jadis wrote:The midband of the Koetsu KC possessed only 'mildly' the famed Koetsu 'lushness'. It is surprising to me that despite using the Koetsu's magnet while stripping its body, the mere usage of a Scantech cantilever, stylus, and wiring made this version sound like a Lyra cartridge. My guess is that the body has a lot to do with the Koetsu house sound as evidenced by the use of such exotic materials like Rosewood, Onyx, and Jade. They now even have a Tiger Eye model. Hmm.....

Scantech's top end smoothness with Koetsu's midrange lushness :?: Now that's one hell of a chop-chop cartridge. :o Best of both worlds. :o

BTW, did Scantech put that white thin paper under your cart :?: The one they always put on all their creations from the Parnasus to the new Titan :?: "Moshi Paper" ba tawag dun :?: :roll:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:21 pm

There was no 'moshi paper' in this one. Just a plain old Koetsu box. And just like the 'normal' Koetsu, it has no technical paper, no graphs, no tools, and no stylus brush included. One would think that for such price, they better give some freebies. In the end, this Koetsu Ken Chan kinda died on its own, after 3 years of usage. The stylus was 'pudpud' na, and I can hardly see it even with a magnifying glass. But it still was playing music on such condition. I don't know if Scantech's stylus really wear out that quick on their own models. And one last thing, looking at the nude Koetsu KC, what impressed me most was how they soldered the wires to the 4 pins when in fact, the wires looks like only one-tenth of a hair's thickness. And, for the longest time, I could only count 3 such thin wires with my bare eyes. Marvelous guys at Scantech.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:31 pm

Shoemie so what's it gonna be? Lyra Titan or CA Titanium? :twisted:

OT,

Racio, hey! when did your SFGH's woofers get the animated .gif treatment? Ok yan ah! :D

Jadis, the "Fille" is spectacular :D A fantastic emotional journey through all types of both familiar and alien landscapes! Buti na lang you found a copy for me, I was planning on akyat bahay-ing your music room to snatch yours :lol:. You da man!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:01 pm

Yes, Jack. I found out the other day, the La Fille was one of the 14 classical albums to be included in the 'Best of the Best' category on the Super LP List on Issue 98, 1994. :) Don't you love the horn and string section of Royal Opera House Orchestra? Yeah...my intel told me that some record snatching gangs were on the prowl in QC, that's why I quickly sourced you a 'brand new' copy to boot. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. MsM's clinic