MSM's new TURNTABLE - for real this time :-)

by popular demand! MsM's very own forum to moderate... :-)

Moderator: m_shoe_maker

Postby bayonic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:33 am

hi sir ...

i'm curious how the outer periphery ring works to clamp down warped ... ok slightly warped LPs :)
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:10 pm

Superman wrote:...nabalitaan ko kasi na may tinatago ka daw "bago"...share naman diyan! :D

Yung medyo bago lang is the Lyra "Argo i" cartridge which I have a separate thread. :wink:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:18 pm

bayonic wrote:hi sir ...

i'm curious how the outer periphery ring works to clamp down warped ... ok slightly warped LPs :)

Its main purpose is to clamp down slightly warped LPs. :) Its quite effective even for brand new reissues which sometimes, are also kinda warped. :evil:

It also creates a flywheel effect. :wink: It has something to do with physics and all of those nerdish crap. :twisted: Putting weight at the edge of a spinning platter makes it have a heavier effective mass or something. :roll: A heavier mass would make it less prone to sudden speed changes, ergo better speed stability, ergo better sound, and all those audiofool crap. :twisted:

To me, the most important feature of the outer ring is that it adds porma. :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby bayonic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:39 pm

thanks for the explanation Doc :)

so you just place the ring on the platter and place the LP on the ring ??? no additional clamping required ??? ( except of course for the clamp on the spindle )

just noticed that the new Nottingham Analogue tables now has a 14 inch platter ... same reason kaya ?
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:34 pm

bayonic wrote:thanks for the explanation Doc :)

so you just place the ring on the platter and place the LP on the ring ??? no additional clamping required ??? ( except of course for the clamp on the spindle )

just noticed that the new Nottingham Analogue tables now has a 14 inch platter ... same reason kaya ?

I actually use the Outer Ring for clamping down the LP. :) Everytime I play an LP, I first place the LP on the platter, put the Center Weight (not a clamp, no thread), then put the Outer Ring. :) When removing the LP, I do the reverse order. :)

Nakakatamad especially if I play my 12 inch remixes na isa lang ang kanta. :evil: Imagine, doing all of those rituals every 5 minutes. :evil: :evil: But, sanayan lang talaga. :D

The reason for bigger platters (be it thicker, or wider in diameter) is to have a bigger rotating mass -> which is supposed to have a more stable speed. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:43 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
bayonic wrote:thanks for the explanation Doc :)

I actually use the Outer Ring for clamping down the LP. :) Everytime I play an LP, I first place the LP on the platter, put the Center Weight (not a clamp, no thread), then put the Outer Ring. :) When removing the LP, I do the reverse order. :)

Nakakatamad especially if I play my 12 inch remixes na isa lang ang kanta. :evil: Imagine, doing all of those rituals every 5 minutes. :evil: :evil: But, sanayan lang talaga. :D

The reason for bigger platters (be it thicker, or wider in diameter) is to have a bigger rotating mass -> which is supposed to have a more stable speed. :)

ok lang yan libre ka na sa gym :lol: You will develop a good muscle after 5 LPs changes :lol:
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby zetroce » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:47 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
Superman wrote:...nabalitaan ko kasi na may tinatago ka daw "bago"...share naman diyan! :D

Yung medyo bago lang is the Lyra "Argo i" cartridge which I have a separate thread. :wink:

Sir MSM,

Parang ikaw yung nakita ko kahapon na may bago, bagong Honda CIVIC!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Parang blue yata yun!!! :?:
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:51 pm

same with my JVC, and there's no way we can put an outer ring on those, unless a ring with a very thick lip will be designed.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:52 pm

zetroce wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:

Sir MSM,

Parang ikaw yung nakita ko kahapon na may bago, bagong Honda CIVIC!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Parang blue yata yun!!! :?:

Di ako yun, baka kamuka lang. :roll: Wala kong Civic. :( Baka si Tom Croos ang nakita mo. :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby chalapenio » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:05 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:

yun bang 'argo i' ang nakakabit when i went to your den several weeks ago?

galing ng peripheral ring mo, and imo the more effective solution for warps (vs. center clamp); and it's really the only solution for 'platito' records. kaya lang, naknakan naman ng mahal! :(

taya na lang muna ako ng lotto in the meantime.

looking forward to our next new wave listening session.

cheers
chalapenio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:08 pm

chalapenio wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:

yun bang 'argo i' ang nakakabit when i went to your den several weeks ago?

galing ng peripheral ring mo, and imo the more effective solution for warps (vs. center clamp); and it's really the only solution for 'platito' records. kaya lang, naknakan naman ng mahal! :(

taya na lang muna ako ng lotto in the meantime.

looking forward to our next new wave listening session.

cheers

Yup, it was the "Argo i" installed. :D

Bili na uli ng plaka :!:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Previous

Return to Dr. MsM's clinic