Bose 901

by popular demand! MsM's very own forum to moderate... :-)

Moderator: m_shoe_maker

Bose 901

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:02 pm

...okay msm, so what makes these speakers really special?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:25 am

A lot. :o

First of all these speakers were the IN thing during my high school days. 8) I always heard New Wave music being played on it in my rich classmates houses, and they simply sounded fantastic (to me at that time :D ).

Imagine 9 small full range drivers per enclosure. :o Direct Reflecting was a magic phrase to me at that time. :o Even the design was not your traditional box. :) It looked and sounded super cool. 8)

The BOSE 901, my first DREAM speaker. 8) This speaker was the reason why I searched for better sound reproduction. :wink: Hard to believe, but the BOSE 901 was the thing that influenced me to become an audiofool. :lol: :lol: :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby kukang » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:42 pm

I used to drool whenever I saw a pair of Bose 901's. Yes, it was also my first dream speaker.

I will never forget that day when I was in first year high school. A classmate invited us to his house for some refreshments. Upon entering his fathers dedicated sound room, I was just floored by these 901's hanging from the ceiling. Behind it was two racks of SAE (Scientific Audio Electronics) equipment. There were Amplifiers, Preamps, and Parametric Eq's in that rack.The front end was comprised of a Revox turntable with a Linear Tracking Arm accompanied by a Nak deck and a Revox open reel player. The mere sight of the equipment was simply overwhelming. We played the cut Birdland from Weather Report. It sounded good and loud.

I will never forget that day. It is the single day that has had the most profound influence on my audio life. And the Bose 901 played a major role.
Last edited by kukang on Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby maitani » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:19 pm

It was also the speaker that inspired HP to publish "The Absolute Sound".(':wink:')
maitani
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:43 pm

I bought my 901 SIII after reading a review on either Stereo Review of Audio Magazine which had also a writeup on the genius of Dr Amar Bose. The salesman of the store I bought it from did not include the equalizer when he sold it to me. But it sounded better than my bookshelf Boston Acoustics at that time. Upon chatting with an old hand, he told me the equalizer was MANDATORY. That was my first rip off experience, I thought. So I had to pay extra for the EQ. But boy, was the change spectacular! The SPL level increased like 3 fold and the bass, yes, the bass suddenly became tighter with a lot of wallop. Of course, I am not refering to low bass, but owners of 901s will know what I mean. I enjoyed this thing for a while till I found out ALL the foam supports of the drivers had pulverized. That got me depressed and I traded them in for a pair of JBL 4311 monitors, which ushered in a different 'sound' for my hungry ears.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby hein » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:48 pm

I saw a brand new one in Hong Kong Ocean Terminal being sold for 163,000 pesos(converted).Wow mahal na pala. Hi-end na rin yung price!
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:55 pm

My cousin had a series III driven by one of those gigantic Marantz integrateds with the giant horizontal tuner wheel. It could really fill up a room with sound. As a kid though I was still in that louder is better phase and the 802 and not the 901 was my dream speaker. When my bro upgraded his Revox speakers to the Revox Triton, that's when I started wondering what the Bose Brouhaha was all about. When my carpool mate invited me to his house and we stole the key to his Dad's listening room to find a pair of 6 ft tall Beveridge 4 panel electrostats then I finally knew what true audiophile sound was all about but yeah the 901 ushered in a completely new generation of enthusiasts. For that alone we gotta give Amar his props.

Hein ba't ang mahal? They list for something like $1600 lang ata may free wave radio pa na kasama :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby arnoldc » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:43 am

BOSE speakers does not sound BAD in the first place, I've heard worse!
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:01 am

JackD201 wrote:My cousin had a series III driven by one of those gigantic Marantz integrateds with the giant horizontal tuner wheel. It could really fill up a room with sound...

I recall the day I finally installed the dedicated EQ on my 901s, indeed it filled up the listening room...so loud that I could hear 2 rooms away, and actually I was enjoying it from that far.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:06 am

Arn, hindi naman talaga masama, sobrang sikat lang naging ironic na. ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ichabod » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:38 am

No. Not the 901s. But Yes. I've had a pair of 301s for a long time which I used in tandem with my Phase Tech 2T later (previous to this was a pair of AR 18s by the way). One pair atop the ceiling, the 301s on some low bookshelf stand but not the way it was intended to be placed. Placed mine standing horizontal with the flaps firing at 45 degrees angle in time to coaslesce with the speakers atop. Tremendously lively sound with all the bass energy of two eight inch woofers. I was happy to say the least! "Engaging" is the word!

So I guess what Arnold says here is true, Bose is not a bad speaker after all, albeit what many seem to say! One challenge for an audiophile is how to make any speaker sound good. Right?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:55 am

Nagsimba kami sa SBMA nitong sunday [visited lolo/lola ng mga babies ko sa Gapo] in an air-conditioned Church... grabe... 2 pairs of Bose 901 ang kanilang speakers! :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:06 am

dogears wrote:Nagsimba kami sa SBMA nitong sunday [visited lolo/lola ng mga babies ko sa Gapo] in an air-conditioned Church... grabe... 2 pairs of Bose 901 ang kanilang speakers! :D

WOW :!: :o Sosyal ah. 8) Di nakuntento sa BOSE 802. :roll:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby dogears » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:11 am

Galing nga eh di ko alam kung saan ako titingin... parang converse... the priest is everywhere!
Out of phase? :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby KD » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:28 am

jadis wrote:I recall the day I finally installed the dedicated EQ on my 901s, indeed it filled up the listening room...so loud that I could hear 2 rooms away, and actually I was enjoying it from that far.

MSM:

If you combine the 901 wwith your JMW10.25, does that mean we can appreciate the soundstage all the way to Davao City?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby cia » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:43 am

I also had a Bose 901 Series II complete with the Bose equalizer and Bose stands. It was powered by the SAE power amp and a Soundcraftman preamp/equalizer. I thought at that time that the ability to boost highs and lows was the way to get good sounds.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:49 am

until you compared it to an Altec Lansing multimedia speakers?
dogears
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:34 pm

got my 901 (don't know what series) in the 90's during my expat assignment in japan. i used it as part of an HT system in the living room. at that time i had a pioneer laser disc player (still works) and a pioneer receiver that was set for simulated surround. the 901s gave a huge sound and did well with chamber music. it would get compliments from my (japanese) staff who thought they were very good and expensive :-)

i eventually sold them and got a pair of b&w floorstanders and a pair of the cdm1 bookshelves. that time i had upgraded the amp to an acurus...which eventually got sold also together with all my speakers :-)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hein » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:05 pm

THE IMAGING YOU GET WHEN USING ORDINARY SPEAKERS

IMAGING OF THE SAME SONG USING BOSE 901
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jjm » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:18 pm

Dr MsM's Clinic??? Doc, I hope this isn't a lynching thread. Different strokes for different folks.
My 901 Series VII works for me. :)
jjm

Next

Return to Dr. MsM's clinic