Goldring GR1

by popular demand! MsM's very own forum to moderate... :-)

Moderator: m_shoe_maker

Goldring GR1

Postby philpath » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Good day sir. Dr. MSM, would you be so kind to recommend upgrades for my goldring gr1. I am using a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. Salamat po ng marami.
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Goldring GR1

Postby spare_2_win » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:58 pm

philpath wrote:Good day sir. Dr. MSM, would you be so kind to recommend upgrades for my goldring gr1. I am using a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. Salamat po ng marami.

Sir you can try rewiring your tonearm with Cardas or Litz. Or you can also replace your mdf platter with a glass one. Both can be bought at Hyperaudio in Makati at the back of Cash&Carry. It will definetely provide a substantial improvement to your GR1. ;)
spare_2_win
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:30 pm

S2W is correct! :)

In addition..... :?:

You can change your plastic end-stub to a steel one. 8) Then install a matching dropped counterweight. 8) Origin Live and Expressimo Audio used to have these before. :)

You can also replace the plastic sub-platter to a Deep Groove sub-platter. :)

You can buy a Heed Speed Controller too. :)

You can replace your mdf platter to an Iron Audio acrylic platter. :)

Dami talaga upgrdes for Rega-based TTs. :) Whether these will contribute to "better" sound, it really depends on how you will view the change it will make. ;)

But if I were you, I'd upgrade the cart. ;) if you already like the synergy of Regas and Dynavectors, why not try out a higher level Dyna cart; XX2? :) XV1s? :devil:

So what are you waiting for, philpath? :?:

Banat na!!!! :devil:

(sulsultants of swing) :devil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby philpath » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 pm

Hehehe. Salamat po sa mga replies. I already like the performance of the dynavectors. I just keep comparing my Goldring to my old Denon full auto turntable. It is if I am not mistaken a DP47f fitted with a Sumiko Blue point. The bass and prescence or "laki ng tunog" seem to be less in my Goldring. Any views on the mater. I have spoken to hypertriode and he seems tot hink that the cable upgrades to the Goldring will not bring a big increse in performance. I am interested though in the Origin live upgrades for the tonearm. Are these available in the Phils.?
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby philpath » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Rene thinkd though that replacing the mdf platter with a glass one from rega sill be a more cost effective upgrade. Any thoughts on the matter? By the way Sir MSM, are you from Marikina by any chance?
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:21 pm

philpath wrote:Hehehe. Salamat po sa mga replies. I already like the performance of the dynavectors. I just keep comparing my Goldring to my old Denon full auto turntable. It is if I am not mistaken a DP47f fitted with a Sumiko Blue point. The bass and prescence or "laki ng tunog" seem to be less in my Goldring. Any views on the mater. I have spoken to hypertriode and he seems tot hink that the cable upgrades to the Goldring will not bring a big increse in performance. I am interested though in the Origin live upgrades for the tonearm. Are these available in the Phils.?

Try contacting redline_xp :)

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16851
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:26 pm

philpath wrote:Rene thinkd though that replacing the mdf platter with a glass one from rega sill be a more cost effective upgrade. Any thoughts on the matter?

I had a Rega Planar 2 (mdf platter) and a Rega Planar 3 (glass platter) before, and the two do sound different. :geek: Which is "better" is really a matter of personal taste. ;)

Ask the Master Hyper if you could audition the glass platter. :) Listen to some of your favourite LPs, and choose which you prefer, the mdf or glass platter. That would be the safest way to go, bro. :!:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 pm

philpath wrote:By the way Sir MSM, are you from Marikina by any chance?

:D :D :D

You are the nth person who asked that. :D I am not from Marikina, and I do not make shoes. :D

My username is just a play on the name of my idol who drives my car. :devil: But he already retired :( .... tried to come back :) ...... but can't due to a past injury. :(
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby philpath » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Oks ok boss. ayos
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:49 pm

XV1s lang ang sagot dyan! :devil: :devil: :devil:

instant chick appeal! 8)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby endrik35 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 am

Sir MSM, may questions din ako about upgrades like philpath. Recently bought a Goldring gr 1.2 from sir Rollie. At present, rega glass platter pa lang nakabit ko. My planned upgrades are changing the rega platter and felt mat. Noon ko pa gusto yung Iron audio acrylic glass platter, less than $100 price niya sa internet. However, no one seems to carry this brand. Then nalaman ko na distibutor ng funk firm yung friend kong si Jun Diaz so nagorder nako ng funk firm achroplat and achromat na hopefelly sabi ni Jun eh darating daw 3rd week of September. Wanna change din to deep groove aluminum subplatter and Litz internal wirings at magpafabricate ng female plug sa likod para sa RCA kay sir Rene. Changing my cart to a dynavector high ouput 10x5 is also one of my options. Yun lang, the big problem is money. . one upgrade at a time. I called up killer_mike narin regarding the fabrication of a acrylic/plexiglass plinth. Is all these upgrades worth the hassle? I'm worrying na sa imamahal ng upgrades, nakabili na sana ako ng Rega P3-24 which would require less tweaking, less additional gastos and better sound! I need your opinons on these sirs. Thanks and Godbless! :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:16 am

may i answer...

save your money and get a rega p3 or better a p5. a preowned p5 floats around 50k+ which is about the same amount you'll spend.....well unless you want to have fun with the upgrading.

for one, the p3-24 has a rb301 arm while the p5 has the better rb700. they also come with the stable power supplies. i have personal experiences with the p5 and its one hell of a table ;) :) the tweaks thereafter will not anymore cost you much as that of the gr.1

also, should you decide to sell the table some day soon, the p3 or p5 will command a better price than a supersouped up gr1.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby endrik35 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:46 am

thanks sir hall for your sound advice! Your absolutely right, the p5 is one hell of a tt. The only problem is money, pabugso bugso, parang ulan. Maybe the desire to tweak resides in a males subconscious. Mahilig tayo magkalikot. I remember the "tamiya days", mura lang yung kotse mismo pero i almost spent a 100k for the parts and the upgrades. . .thats the fun factor sa upgrades. . .he he. Hirap kase magipon pag mahal ang bibilhin, laging nababawasan.
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby nicole » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:20 pm

resulta ng kalikot :lol: :lol: :lol:
Goldring GR1.2
nicole
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:22 pm

nicole wrote:resulta ng kalikot :lol: :lol: :lol:
Goldring GR1.2

AYUS! Congrats Ronald! :D Bagay diyan yung "toot"...Just let me know soon :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby nicole » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:24 pm

yun talaga purpose nyan sir. :) :) . MM & MC :lol: :lol:
nicole
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:37 pm

nicole wrote:yun talaga purpose nyan sir. :) :) . MM & MC :lol: :lol:

You're all set pare! :D Yun na lang ang kulang!! :clap: :clap:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby endrik35 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:52 pm

wow! Napakaganda namang kalikot nyan sir Ronald! 2 tone arms. Narra b yan o mahogany plinth? Magkano inabot yan? Sana maudi ko yung gr mo. . .
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:36 pm

endrik35 wrote:Sir MSM, may questions din ako about upgrades like philpath. Recently bought a Goldring gr 1.2 from sir Rollie. At present, rega glass platter pa lang nakabit ko. My planned upgrades are changing the rega platter and felt mat. Noon ko pa gusto yung Iron audio acrylic glass platter, less than $100 price niya sa internet. However, no one seems to carry this brand. Then nalaman ko na distibutor ng funk firm yung friend kong si Jun Diaz so nagorder nako ng funk firm achroplat and achromat na hopefelly sabi ni Jun eh darating daw 3rd week of September. Wanna change din to deep groove aluminum subplatter and Litz internal wirings at magpafabricate ng female plug sa likod para sa RCA kay sir Rene. Changing my cart to a dynavector high ouput 10x5 is also one of my options. Yun lang, the big problem is money. . one upgrade at a time. I called up killer_mike narin regarding the fabrication of a acrylic/plexiglass plinth. Is all these upgrades worth the hassle? I'm worrying na sa imamahal ng upgrades, nakabili na sana ako ng Rega P3-24 which would require less tweaking, less additional gastos and better sound! I need your opinons on these sirs. Thanks and Godbless! :)

Halls has a point. :) You have come to a point of analog madness wherein you want to upgrade your front end as mucho as you can. 8) Its really like upgrading a Toyota Starlet to perform like a slalom demon, or just go buy a stock Toyota Celica - for even more mods in the future. :) Both are fun but in different ways. ;) There will come a time when the Starlet has reached its max, and no more upgrades can be done anymore. :sweat: Then what? :yawn: How long before the upgrade path runs dry? :yawn: Time to sell and move up to higher models - to the big leagues so to speak? |( Again, I guess only you can answer this. :!: But like most of us mortals, yes moolah is the problem. :envy:

As for me, when I was still very hot in the pursuit of "hi-end" analog front-end madness, what I do is save up moolah for about a year, then buy that "subjectively best" turntable that my analog funds can afford. :devil: As in I have really maxed out my audio funds and no more upgrades for about a year, but with the excitement and anticipation to have fresh funds for the upgrade / kalikot madness all over again. :devil: :devil: My musts? It must be maporma - for chick appeal :!: :devil: , and upgradable for the future kalikot. :) I too loved to kalikot, and most of my turntables evolve from basic models to upgraded models. :clap:

So if you are becoming like me, stay away from "dead-end tables" which do not offer much upgrade path, but rather go with brands which are known to be "modular" and offer upgrade parts for each section of the TT. 8) 8) I knew there are other brands out there that were subjectively better than what I used to buy, but the fact that these tables were not modular / upgradable made me loose interest. |( I was just really a hungry front-end kalikot / upgrade-type of audiofool before. :devil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:47 pm

nicole wrote:resulta ng kalikot :lol: :lol: :lol:
Goldring GR1.2

Hmmm...... what's that transparent base for the second arm, nicole? :?:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Next

Return to Dr. MsM's clinic