does a CD lens die?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Postby mullard88 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:09 am

Hi jadis,

CD lenses do die. I first encountered this when the Philips player I used as a transport for the Wadia would not play. Mario, the one who maintains my system, told me the lens had died. He also told me that replacement lenses comes in different qualities that determines the service life of the lens. I think your transport is a McCormack modified Philips player, and I think Mario can easily change the lens for you if it is really the cause of your the problem you are encountering.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:12 am

Hi jadis,

I just realized that you encountered the problem in 2005. It was the first time that I saw this topic and I presumed that it was a recent post. My apologies.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:24 am

No problem, Mullard. And thanks for the input. I seldom use the CD player nowaways but it's good to know Mario can fix the problem when it needs be.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby vapo_chill » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:10 am

if its a philips, pioneer and sony transport/lens, its very easy to find a replacement. A friend of mine had a Philips 89' (forgot the model) cd player, got a replacement lens sa deeco and just cost us Php 350 Sony medyo mahal, mahirap Yamaha, Denon etc.
vapo_chill
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:42 am

With Sony, the lens cdp mechanism may be common with their dvd players so it is possible to find a replacement.

I am having some problems with Marantz. They used to be owned by Philips but has been sold. I've got a Maratntz sacd/cd player that needs lens replacement. Anybody knows where to have this serviced?

TIA.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ferds » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:43 am

sir whats the model of your marantz? tnx
ferds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 am

ferds wrote:sir whats the model of your marantz? tnx

SA 8260
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby iceman90a » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:43 am

recently resurrected a Philips discman, at first it wouldn't read the CD. then consecutive trials (and wiping the lens with a cotton bud) led to it recognizing that there's a cd inside until finally it started playing.

i figure it needs a little lubrication on the rail where the lens runs, what would be safe to use? (i once had my sony playstation serviced and the tech used some white stuff on the rails)

thanks
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edwin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:06 am

iceman90a wrote:recently resurrected a Philips discman, at first it wouldn't read the CD. then consecutive trials (and wiping the lens with a cotton bud) led to it recognizing that there's a cd inside until finally it started playing.

i figure it needs a little lubrication on the rail where the lens runs, what would be safe to use? (i once had my sony playstation serviced and the tech used some white stuff on the rails)

thanks

Sometimes, skipping or unable to read disc is just caused by a dirty lens or gears and rails. Kung minsan natutuyo ang grease causing the laser mechanism to get stuck at a certain position in the railing. Ito and sakit ng Micromega CD Player dahil the transport that was used was the batch that was manufactured in Malaysia with the wrong type of grease.

All you need to do is clean/remove all grease and relube it. Also use a clean cotton bud (best dip in 100% alcohol) and very gently wipe the lens.

If all done above still doesn't work, then you might already have a dying or dead lens.
edwin
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ferds » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:12 am

If you want to check what lens or optical module and dac chips your CDP have. see here: http://www.vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-pla ... nsport.htm

See here the available lens in raon. http://newportelec.com/cd_dvd_lens.html
ferds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby riprig+panic » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:19 pm

totoo po bang madaling makasira ng lens yung mga burned discs? :?:
naka ilang discman na po ako, 2-3 years lang sila tumatagal :cry:
riprig+panic
Citizen
Citizen

Re:

Postby mcbry1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:52 pm

ferds wrote:sad to say po pero parang kailangan ng palitan ung lens.. KSS-151A yung lens na kailangan mo.. Na-try ko na maghanap nyan sa RAON pero wala na sila stock.. Pero try nyo po linisin muna ung lens baka pwede pa.

$70-100 price nung lens online. :shock:

BTW 1988 lumabas ung 228esd. http://cdp101.hp.infoseek.co.jp/esseries-main.html

:D

up ko lang ang thread na to.
meron pa bang available na KSS-151A lens dito sa atin ngayon?
how much and saan meron?

i plan to change the lens of my sony 228esd cdp sana if hindi naman ganun kamahal yung price ng lense.
mcbry1
Citizen
Citizen

Re: does a CD lens die?

Postby brady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:20 am

i think that model is readily available. Less than P1k, i think. Just go to any electronic shop
brady
Citizen
Citizen

Postby botvinik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am

My 17 year old Nad just died on me. It reads the cds but it wont play them anymore. lens problem ba to? Where can i find a replacement?
botvinik
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 am

wow, i virtually forgot i was the OP of this. :lol:

to answer my own question 5 years ago, yes, it can die. because mine finally did, about early this year. it did not want to read any disc anymore after 23 years. :lol: can't blame the thing. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jcatral14 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:13 am

Just to add to the thread...

Two years ago the drawer on my Wadia wouldn't open so I contacted them about repairs and they also brought up the laser replacement.

This is part of the email I received:

One other thing to consider would be a laser replacement. The laser is something that will wear out over time and depending on use we find that lasers commonly last between 8 to 10 years.

:o

That time I thought he was just out to get more money from me but I guess they really do wear out over time.

Fast forward to today. I just sent my unit in finally to get fixed :lol: I asked about replacing the assembly while it's there kaya lang I was informed that they are trying to source better laser assemblies as the ones they got did not meet their specs. Hopefully I won't need a new assembly for now. I'll just send it back when it craps out :tmi:

Oh, they quoted me $400 including repair of the drawer, replacement of the laser assembly and return shipping with new boxes.
jcatral14

Postby backupfiles » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:32 pm

I have an old stage 3 micromega i'd like to ressurect. I've tried silicon lubrication and wiping the lens but had no success.
I would appreciate a referral to a reputable repair shop.
thanks.
backupfiles

Laser Diagnositcs and Laser Surgery

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:42 pm

The laser does sometimes die, but not nearly as often as a lot of people think. There are myriad other reasons why the cd may not be read properly, from dirt, to dried lubrication to dried out capacitors or other power supply problems.

I have posted this link before, but I do think it deserves another posting. http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRA ... ology.html You can do some quick diagnosis of your problem and determine whether it is likely that a new laser assembly is needed. It is a good read that may save you both time and money.
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hein » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 am

backupfiles wrote:I have an old stage 3 micromega i'd like to ressurect. I've tried silicon lubrication and wiping the lens but had no success.
thanks.

The MICROMEGA Stage 3 is one of the Best CD players I have ever had.

My friend has a Rare PHILIPs CDM 12.4 laser mechanism for this model a year ago. Ill try to look for him. Ill PM you when I get any news. :)
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edwin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:30 am

backupfiles wrote:I have an old stage 3 micromega i'd like to ressurect. I've tried silicon lubrication and wiping the lens but had no success.
thanks.

I had the Micromega stage 2 and had this skipping problem. Later i found because of dried up grease that is causing the jerking movement of the lens on the transport metal rod. Cleaned and put teflon grease and it was fine.

Bought a spare 12.4 for S$15 dollars as a spare.
edwin
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Digital