Audio Note (UK) CD2.1X where to audition in Manila?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Audio Note (UK) CD2.1X where to audition in Manila?

Postby red76 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:57 pm

Hi All,

Anyone know where in Manila can I audition this AN UK cdp? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this player is being or has been updated since AN UK severed their relations with Kondo (AN Japan) and Jensen Capacitors. There's also a Signature version, anyone know the difference/s between the stock and this one? The info. out there only states the stock player is a combination of the Zero Transport and the 1.1X DAC in one chassis. This DAC has been around for a few years way back when it has Jensen Aluminum Foil caps as stock, so any other info on the CD2.1X you guys have would be great, especially now that the company has revised their product line with new caps and other thingies since early last year.

BTW, I know there is a the official distributor in Cebu, but I have no plans to visit there anytime soon.

Thanks for any input.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Audio Note (UK) CD2.1X where to audition in Manila?

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:11 pm

red76 wrote:Anyone know where in Manila can I audition this AN UK cdp?

Wait about a 1-1.5 months more. My CDT Zero and DAC One.1x should be burned in by then. I hope to have zeroed in on a digital interconnect as well. When these are settled, I'll try my very best to bring 'em to one of the Pinoydiophile sessions.

I've posted some ealy impressions throughout Pinoydiophiles. Some have heard it at about 90-100 hour break in. Audio Tyro, Hyperion, joe3rp, hyperaudio: go ahead, feel free to lambast the CD player. :D

red76 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this player is being or has been updated since AN UK severed their relations with Kondo (AN Japan) and Jensen Capacitors.

I don't know about the one box player but it used to be known as the CD2, right? I don't know if there has been updates or if AN just calls it differently outside of the UK. But from the DAC 1 to DAC 1.1x, I think the biggest change is the non-oversampling/filterless DAC.

Yes, Kondo-san and Peter Qvortrup have severed their relationship (quite publicly at that, check Audio Asylum).

I don't know about the relationship between Jensen caps and AN.

red76 wrote:There's also a Signature version, anyone know the difference/s between the stock and this one?

Apart from at least twice the price, I don't know. :D

Seriously, there are 2 one box players in the AN-UK lineup. One is the CD2.1x and the other is the CD3.1x. The difference is the CD2.1x is the CDT-Zero and DAC One.1x inside. The CD3.1x is the CDT Zero and the DAC 1.1x Signature inside.

As for the difference between the 1.1x, 1.1x Balanced and 1.1x Signature, (and even the 2.1 to the 5 Signatutre) check out: http://www.jcaudio.com/product/AudioNot ... rison.html

Lastly, check out the Pinoydiophiles buy and sell forum. There is a demo unit Audio Note CD2.1x there for sale at a good price. :twisted:
rtsyrtsy

RAM CD25 Signature

Postby red76 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:10 pm

Hi rtsy,

Thanx for all the info and the link (although just I found out that some of those dacs were discontinued except for the higher end ones). No possibility of tube tasting with the 6111WA is one drawback for me. And I find the Jensen aluminum foil caps too dark and lacks transients for my taste, if they had coppr foils that would be a different story since they are THAT much better. I find it weird that they still use the Jensen even if they have severed relations with 'em (they say they use leftover stock when I emailed a distributor) Read this:

http://www.audionote.co.uk/an_capacitor ... in_oil.htm

In the meantime, I have my eyes set on another player:

It's the RAM CD25 Signature from Response Audio/Modwright Audio (Dand Wright mods). A heavily modified Shanling/Music Hall CD25 with zero Op-amops in the analog output stage. Anyway, I could put my 6900 tubes (5687 variant) to good use with it. I just hope they sell abroad.

Link: http://www.responseaudio.com/RA%20CD%20M.htm
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:17 pm

Nice! How much?
rtsyrtsy

Postby arnoldc » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:13 pm

The first mods included upgrading the rectifiers to ultra-fast soft-recover types, to reduce semi-conductor switching noise. This lowers the noise floor and improves bass response. The electrolytic coupling caps and the discrete gain/buffer/filter stage are then completely bypassed in favor of our own tube Class A gain/buffer stage, featuring Auricap coupling caps and zero feedback design. The tube circuit features two Cryo-treated NOS Tung-Sol 5687 tubes. This is a military spec tube with extremely linear operation and exceptional sonics. This tube is, in our opinion, far superior to the standard 12AX7 and 6DJ8/6922 used in comparable designs.

A separate transformer and tube stage power supply, are built into the unit, alongside the stock analog and digital power supply. This includes a Hammond power transformer and our own PCB based high-voltage tube supply circuit, featuring CRC filtering and ultra-fast soft-recovery diodes.

All signal wire inside the player is ultra-pure high-quality stranded copper wire that has been Cryo-treated. Signal path components include Dale-Vishay resistors and Auricap capacitors.

The result is a clean, dynamic, and very musical presentation with black background, dead-quiet operation and bandwidth from 10Hz - 100Khz.

USD1,200 + USD600 for the mods, am I right red76?
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby red76 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:59 pm

USD1,200 + USD600 for the mods, am I right red76?

Hi Arnold,

Not exactly. The $1.2k is for an already modified player, while the $600 price is for modifiying a stock unit if you already have one.

I Just got a reply from them that there's no 240V version yet, but one could use a high quality stepdwon trafo/voltage regulator for a US version if you could not wait. There's also a volume pot option on top of the unit near the shielded tubes for $75 bucks. The added transformer for the tubes are sourced from Hammond. That's all I know so far. A new competitor for Ah!, Heart, or even the slightly more expensive Parts ConneXion upgraded Jolida cdp.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audio_Tyro » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:25 pm

I only heard it for a few minutes, and it's not fully broken in yet. So all I can say for now is that, apparently it doesn't sound much like a CD player at all. It sounds more like a very expensive turntable (you know, without the pop corn noise and ticks!)... Ano, itutuloy ko pa ba ito? :lol:
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:26 pm

red76 wrote:Hi Arnold,

Not exactly. The $1.2k is for an already modified player, while the $600 price is for modifiying a stock unit if you already have one.

great! it is more affordable then. :D

Audio_Tyro wrote:Ano, itutuloy ko pa ba ito?

Bakit naman hindi? :twisted:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Racio » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:05 am

Audio_Tyro wrote:I only heard it for a few minutes, and it's not fully broken in yet. So all I can say for now is that, apparently it doesn't sound much like a CD player at all. It sounds more like a very expensive turntable (you know, without the pop corn noise and ticks!)... Ano, itutuloy ko pa ba ito? :lol:

Oh I implore you pare koi to take the floor and fire away! :wink: (Pero please post your review lang at the "Reviews" section. Thanks! :D )
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Digital