Let's Talk Digital

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Postby jonas » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:37 am

JackD201 wrote:Yup! Enjoy music outside the home too! Buy a portable player! :)

home audio- analog

car audio- digital
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Donlovejoy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 am

"The MUSICAL FIDELITY TRI-VISTA SACD player has a bad reputation for its reliability. In the DC area I have known some to have failed out of the box. One should stick to reliable old hands at digital such as MERIDIAN, WADIA, DCS, to some extent KRELL, SPECTRAL. The ML is also suspect specially with the company in shaky grounds, I would not want to invest in something expensive and come crunch time you have to junk the unit." - BUGSY

I like to add PROCEED Transport of Madrigal which i use to own the one with the thin tray its chossy on cds and has problem on tracking. The EAD transport works fine the one with the Pioneer stable platter where you have to invert the cd when loading. EAD is a good digital brand for me.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ihatejazz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:57 am

hein wrote:We tested the top of the line SONY ES SACD player against the CLEARAUDIO top of the line turntable using the best stuff at Greg Atienza's house. I can say that the SACD is a formidable challenge to analog. The SACD's performance was probably 85%-90% that of phono. Close enough to say that the Japanese have done their research very well. With an avalanche of new software releases, this format is something to watch out for.

Hein,

Greg sold the SONY SCD-1 right after that session. As to "an avalanche of new software releases" I must dispute this. It comes in trickles! What percentage of releases in digital do you think are in the SACD format? Because a friend asked me to buy some titles last month, I went to the biggest Tower Records in Orange County and I was led to a small area that said "audiophile section" with no more then 100 titles total. Most of the titles very commonly found on $5 LPs selling for $25.00.

Sorry for my ignorance but how much is the cheapest SACD player in the market today? I ask because IMHO it would not be a good investment to pay P280T for a format that has so little software to play. Hopefully when hardware prices come down to earth and more SACD titles are issued then the format will hold its own.

Is the digital format war still raging? What format is now considered?
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Donlovejoy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:53 am

AES-EBU VERSUS AT&T, WHICH IS THE BETTER DIGITAL CABLE?
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:14 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:Excellent info Superman :!: Super ka talaga :!:

SKYWORTH

OK rin ang dating ah. :) Something tells me that the mids and highs of this unit would be great. :roll: Just like having air between vocals and instruments. :)

May potential rin to Superman. :wink: Did you ask how much this brand costs :?:

i have this SKYWORTH and meets my needs for video playback. walang progressive scan yata. no digital out too. p3750, 12 gives sa western.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:14 am

Donlovejoy wrote:"The MUSICAL FIDELITY TRI-VISTA SACD player has a bad reputation for its reliability. In the DC area I have known some to have failed out of the box. One should stick to reliable old hands at digital such as MERIDIAN, WADIA, DCS, to some extent KRELL, SPECTRAL. The ML is also suspect specially with the company in shaky grounds, I would not want to invest in something expensive and come crunch time you have to junk the unit." - BUGSY

I like to add PROCEED Transport of Madrigal which i use to own the one with the thin tray its chossy on cds and has problem on tracking. The EAD transport works fine the one with the Pioneer stable platter where you have to invert the cd when loading. EAD is a good digital brand for me.

Hehe as far as my Trivista is concerned it WORKS and does the job magnificently! Besides Senyor Melvyn Chua himself will make it a point to replace your unit if ever there was such defects. We all know that he is a man of his word. Besides, name me here people who have used the TRIVISTA and have found it unreliable?

If you can afford to buy a ROLEX will you buy a TIMEX? Or if a Jaguar is for you will you get a KIA? Same applies here for EXCELLENCE you buy a TRIVISTA SACD a real bang for the bucks in terms of musical satisfaction. Howbeit if you have budget constraints then you can settle for maybe an ARCAM or JOLIDA perhaps, it all depends on how long your PANTS are pal!

I have isolated my audio setup from my video for best results..integrating them together would only add to confusion. The fantastic sound derived from today's DTS CD, SACD and DVD AUDIO multichannel software is staggering. The sky's the limit for DIGITAL indeed like a TSUNAMI it can only leave analog turntables ALL WET! Being married to the turntable long ago and all it's inherent and pathetic defects has taught me to go DIGITAL.

The next time you listen to your vinyl classical records be still and hear the quiet subtle passages if the surface noise and the TICKS and POPS to go doesn't bother you for you can neither hear it or care, be not alarmed for you are already DEAD to the music. Ask any concertmaster what their premium is to absolute silence when they perform. Their ears are so keen to hear the slightest noise and misplaying of any member in the orchestra! Geeze if people can't get that together then just like Ivor I'll be needing my medications to understand their hold on analog. Hehe good thing GOD gave us DIGITAL for now we are closest to the music.

Those are the issues here on this thread boys. If you can't hear the horrific surface noise WE DIGITAL LOVERS DO! If it matters not to you that it would entail considerable costs for you to maintain a turntable (Personally for me if it isn't an LP12 or worth at least 5,000 USD with a cartridge worth around 3,000 USD forget it) it most certainly matter to US DIGITAL LOVERS. It really is a simple truth analog lovers have cancelled out the noise and pretend they are engrossed in the sound they hear..while on the otherhand we the DIGITAL purist can never tolerate such inadequacies.

The next time you go shopping for a turntable STOP! Consider the type of transducer (cartridge) you are gonna use and can afford, believe me it's way better to bring along the cartridge to a possible turntable to try if it works than to be stuck with a mediocre turntable, one which in time I assure you will be replaced anyway by a digital product. More on these subject on my next postings.

SC
Last edited by SoFtCliPpEr on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:53 am

jo2 wrote:Hi,

Just my opinion both formats have their merits and inadequacy to consider IT as THE ONE AND ONLY MEDIUM FOR MUSIC. :)

Neither is right!

Preference to LP/Vinyl over CD/SACD or vice versa is again subjective.

Both recording format were designed to ENJOY and APPRECIATE MUSIC AT HOME! :wink:

In the end you have to choose the lesser EVIL pal :)

Allow me to give you a rundown on the 7 deadly SINS of analogue:

1.) Thou shalt hear SURFACE NOISE ( DIGITAL will give you clean
accurate music remember the mother of Musicality is Accuracy)

2.) Thou shalt be subjected to the troubles of experiencing
Tonearm compatibility adjustment and Cartridge selection.
Remember you never mate a turntable worth let's say 5,000 USD with
puny 50 USD cartridge for best results. You must try to narrow your
choices down to British Turntables like Rega and Linn
,everything else is mere gravy. (DIGITAL on the otherhand affords
a host of a wide range of alternatives)

3.) Thou shalt be compelled to treat your vinyl collection with extra care.
Be advised that the nature of FRICTION when the EVIL
CARTRIDGE
attacks the grooves on your records constitutes to
it's ultimate demise and wear and tear. I say the only good record is
an unused one.

4.) Thou shalt thus consider a decent record cleaning system for your
vinyl oftentimes it proves to be more expensive than your turntable!

5.) Thou shalt be lulled as if in a trance to believe the you are actually
experiencing hi fidelity at its finest inspite the presence of rumble
wow and flutter and often speed changes and mechanical motor
problems.

6.) Thou shalt not be able to buy local born PARI pressed inexpensive
vinyl records sometimes during my lunacy with analog sounded even
better than the imported ones, well those were the days.

7.) Thou shalt not be afforded the comforts of a remote control to play
your favorite tracks. Just imagine yourself in the 21st century
watching cable TV without a remote controller? Instead your devotion
to the spinning platter will be rewarded by ARTHRITIS all due to the
rigors of ritually playing an LP!

These and many more are clear reasons to go DIGITAL, not to mention the area of software development as far as CD remastering, SACD, DVD,DVD AUDIO and DTS CD are concerned. The multichannel juggernaut can no longer be avoided even people in the know who make writing about audio their living are all in awe with the avanlance of technology vis a vis who or what anybody here may discern. Do yourself a good thing and listen to Pink Flloyd's Dark Side Of The Moon in a properly set up 5.1 system allow your ears to hear and let your brain believe!
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:19 pm

Don,

I've used both AES/EBU and AT&T Glass, I went with AES/EBU for my 10 meter run from transport to DAC for its rejection properties. Honestly for short runs I couldn't make out any trully discernable differences since my DAC has a rather large input buffer and re-clocks all signals.

ihatejazz, there are SACD players out ther for about 300 USD, I have one of the first sony's. Comparing the SACD layer from the Sony made it sound all in all still slightly inferior to the CD layer playing off the Proceed AVP2's DAC and my No. 360S DAC (better top end, better imaging, extremely sterile midrange, hardly any low end). One thing this points out is $300 worth of SACD can bring you pretty close to $8000 worth of CD, if the darned titles didn't cost so much. In that context $4500 for a pretty respectable LP rig which sounds better than both can be viewed as somewhat of a good bargain huh? :wink:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby bb3 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:22 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
jo2 wrote:Hi,

Just my opinion both formats have their merits and inadequacy to consider IT as THE ONE AND ONLY MEDIUM FOR MUSIC. :)

Neither is right!

Preference to LP/Vinyl over CD/SACD or vice versa is again subjective.

Both recording format were designed to ENJOY and APPRECIATE MUSIC AT HOME! :wink:

In the end you have to choose the lesser EVIL pal :)

Allow me to give you a rundown on the 7 deadly SINS of analogue:

1.) Thou shalt hear SURFACE NOISE ( DIGITAL will give you clean
accurate music remember the mother of Musicality is Accuracy)

sorry to butt in, but i've heard a lot of accurately recorded songs that ar far from musical.

for the record, i'm a believer of both formats. . .
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jonas » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:55 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
If you can afford to buy a ROLEX will you buy a TIMEX? Or if a Jaguar is for you will you get a KIA? Same applies here for EXCELLENCE you buy a TRIVISTA SACD a real bang for the bucks in terms of musical satisfaction. Howbeit if you have budget constraints then you can settle for maybe an ARCAM or JOLIDA perhaps, it all depends on how long your PANTS are pal! SC

depends also if watch and cars are important to you. i know of a neurologist who owns a few over 2 Million peso paintings and yet drives an early 1990s corolla. im happy with my samsung DVD player to play my CDs probably because i havent heard a significantly better system. maybe your offer to lend your trivista can be extended to me also. i sure would like to listen to it in my set up so that i can weep and pity myself afterwards that i cant afford such a machine.
SoFtCliPpEr wrote:go doesn't bother you for you can neither hear it or care, be not alarmed for you are already DEAD to the music. Ask any concertmaster what their premium is to absolute silence when they perform. Their ears are so keen to hear the slightest noise and misplaying of any member in the orchestra! SC

i wonder what setup1 (JE) 's comments are on these?
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Donlovejoy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Hi jackd201;

I have a chance to compare the performance of the two digital cables when i use to have that Escoteric CD Transport (its now with ZACH :cry: ). I compare an Aural Symphonics AESEBU against an Audioquest AT&T.

Verdict: It sounds good with the AT&T
Last edited by Donlovejoy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Donlovejoy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:44 pm

My SACD player is a sony BS770 QS, UK tuned - around UK500 pounds. European model.
It plays well with SACD-play only disk (Single Layer disk), for Hybrid SACD disk i notice the performance dip on chesky SACDS, but not with FIM, GROOVE, MERCURY Living Stereo Hybrid SACD disks good sound mga brand na to. Im eyeing a MOFI SACD pa may budget na ko lagot yon sa kin.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:17 pm

JackD201 wrote:Don,

I've used both AES/EBU and AT&T Glass, I went with AES/EBU for my 10 meter run from transport to DAC for its rejection properties. Honestly for short runs I couldn't make out any trully discernable differences since my DAC has a rather large input buffer and re-clocks all signals.

ihatejazz, there are SACD players out ther for about 300 USD, I have one of the first sony's. Comparing the SACD layer from the Sony made it sound all in all still slightly inferior to the CD layer playing off the Proceed AVP2's DAC and my No. 360S DAC (better top end, better imaging, extremely sterile midrange, hardly any low end). One thing this points out is $300 worth of SACD can bring you pretty close to $8000 worth of CD, if the darned titles didn't cost so much. In that context $4500 for a pretty respectable LP rig which sounds better than both can be viewed as somewhat of a good bargain huh? :wink:

I'm still on medication after reading this one..surething but why spend 4,500 bucks when you can get the same distorted NOISE on a cheaper turntable? LOL!
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:39 pm

[quote="jonas"][quote="SoFtCliPpEr"]

depends also if watch and cars are important to you. i know of a neurologist who owns a few over 2 Million peso paintings and yet drives an early 1990s corolla. im happy with my samsung DVD player to play my CDs probably because i havent heard a significantly better system. maybe your offer to lend your trivista can be extended to me also. i sure would like to listen to it in my set up so that i can weep and pity myself afterwards that i cant afford such a machine.
[quote="SoFtCliPpEr"]

One thing is for certain if ever you were to take home a Trivista to AB test on your Samsung dvd/cd player.. you will never be the same! Apparently digital sound has already found it's place in your listening room. Be advised that the Trivista is a stand alone Stereo SACD/CD player while your Samsung could most probably be a "UNI" player.

The encouraging fact is that you find and like the CD sound being reproduced on the Samsung, and as you say haven't heard a significantly "better" system. But be not be dismayed..although compared to the stand alone stereo SACD/CD Trivista vis a vis the "compromised" design of the universal Samsung, it would be quite easy for you to discern which is the better product in terms of musical stereo reproduction.

The bottom line is both are DIGITAL sources and in the end your ears and pocket will decide your choices. I suggest you now venture into the domain of DTS CD software which can open a whole new door to the DIGITAL frontier!

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby jonas » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:19 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:One thing is for certain if ever you were to take home a Trivista to AB test on your Samsung dvd/cd player.. you will never be the same! Apparently digital sound has already found it's place in your listening room. Be advised that the Trivista is a stand alone Stereo SACD/CD player while your Samsung could most probably be a "UNI" player.

SC

ok, then, when can i pass by your place to pick up the trivista so that i can listen to it? it should match my MF 3.2 cr pre and power amp driving SF grand piano, right?

a lot of audio gear sellers in wiredstate can vouch for me. im not going to run away with your machine. so please reply ASAP. ill just pretend i didnt get your original reply to my PM.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby T-Rex » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:20 pm

Jonas,

padinig PAGpina-home-audition sayo as I would be interested to find out if the samsung will finally be dethroned.

jonas wrote:i sure would like to listen to it in my set up so that i can weep and pity myself afterwards that i cant afford such a machine.

TOO humble :!: So, have you ordered the 2 seater :?:

jonas wrote:ill just pretend i didnt get your original reply to my PM

Nasty ba :?:
T-Rex
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jonas » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:13 pm

T-Rex wrote:Jonas,

padinig PAGpina-home-audition sayo as I would be interested to find out if the samsung will finally be dethroned.

i dont know why he wouldn't let me home audition. maybe he doesnt think my 3.2cr and the grand piano will bring out the real talents of his trivista. or maybe he thinks my dedicated audio room is not acoustically treated enough. its not as if im going to AB the trivista with my 15K TT. its going head to head with a samsung DVD player so that the fight will be more even. i may even buy his trivista if he's selling and if im impressed with its sound. but then again if i get his trivista my new chick-magnet will have to wait another month.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:13 am

jonas, Nissan 300Z na ba? :twisted: Paano na yung Volvo, baka maging lonely :lol:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Donlovejoy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:32 am

"I have isolated my audio setup from my video for best results..integrating them together would only add to confusion. The fantastic sound derived from today's DTS CD, SACD and DVD AUDIO multichannel software is staggering. The sky's the limit for DIGITAL indeed like a TSUNAMI it can only leave analog turntables ALL WET! Being married to the turntable long ago and all it's inherent and pathetic defects has taught me to go DIGITAL.

The next time you listen to your vinyl classical records be still and hear the quiet subtle passages if the surface noise and the TICKS and POPS to go doesn't bother you for you can neither hear it or care, be not alarmed for you are already DEAD to the music. Ask any concertmaster what their premium is to absolute silence when they perform. Their ears are so keen to hear the slightest noise and misplaying of any member in the orchestra! Geeze if people can't get that together then just like Ivor I'll be needing my medications to understand their hold on analog. Hehe good thing GOD gave us DIGITAL for now we are closest to the music."

As Quoted from Softclipper, I say amen to that: 101% I AGREE

Michael Fremer Analog Corner of Stereophile is beginning to love SACD
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:27 pm

jonas wrote:
T-Rex wrote:Jonas,

i dont know why he wouldn't let me home audition. maybe he doesnt think my 3.2cr and the grand piano will bring out the real talents of his trivista. or maybe he thinks my dedicated audio room is not acoustically treated enough. its not as if im going to AB the trivista with my 15K TT. its going head to head with a samsung DVD player so that the fight will be more even. i may even buy his trivista if he's selling and if im impressed with its sound. but then again if i get his trivista my new chick-magnet will have to wait another month.

jonas

I don't really give a HOOT of how it will sound in your room pal. As for me I believe I have been generous enough to invite you to bring your "gear" over my place. No sense in you getting all worked up if I wouldn't like to let you borrow my babies pal.

I hope you can put a closure to these dream of yours and settle with the wonderful sound of your Samsung hehehe.

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

PreviousNext

Return to Digital