Let's Talk Digital

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Postby Donlovejoy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:57 pm

I enjoy the new CDs now, especially SACDs and DVD audio. But the problem is there are only few titles available in the market. Hope that the titles available increases and the prices decreases! Hehehe :lol:
Last edited by Donlovejoy on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Tama na yan. If you don't like SoftClipper's post, ignore it.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Donlovejoy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:59 pm

arnoldc wrote:Tama na yan. If you don't like SoftClipper's post, ignore it.
Hay Salamat naman! Now can we go on with the digital talk Pleassse!
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:29 pm

jo2 wrote:SoFtCliPpEr,

Some WS members here like TURNTABLE and some like CD/SACD.

I like "digital" and I like "Analog."

This issue about LP/Vinyl Versus CD/SACD had been discussed for the NTH times on most AUDIO Forums here and outside WS.

Why I don't understand is why dig up a long time buried discussion?

I believe both formats should co-exist.

To settle on what formats to choose is irrelevant on one's preference.

I know, You're intelligent enough to understand this. Since you mentioned that you use to be a TT user and moved on.

Some are still enjoying the TT way to experience music at home but others took the plunged ( like me) and tried to explore other avenues out there!

Pabayaan mo na lang sila! Dun sila masaya!

My friendly advice?

Maraming matitigas ulo!

They heard and noticed you regarding your experience and knowledge with "DIGITAL."

They'll remember you one day. I hope :)

"tama nga ba o mali si SoFtCliPpEr!?"

Sa akin lang, I'll keep playing LP/Vinyl and at the same time play CD/SACD in my system.

Meyroon bang nalalaro! If you know what I mean. :wink:

Well said Jo2,

However whether I feel this way or the other is of no importance here. My impressions on the analogue disaster are for the benefit mostly of not those who have already taken the path to popcorn land but mainly for the next generation of audiophiles.

Very clear and anybody can merely scroll back to the earlier portion of this post that the off topic low blows were done by mr.porma first. Besides I have not said anything against him which does not border on the truth. His innuendos are clear and mere personal attacks against my character.

There is nothing wrong by pointing out the defects inherent in a particular format, these matters should be addressed and accepted as a norm to be the bare essence of the truth in hi fidelity.
Everyman has the right to defend his castle within reasonable limits. However to resort to character assasination is another thing. I can be Osama Bin Laden to the eyes of an amateur audio buff like mr.porma, however that will never change the fact about how good DIGITAL is against analog does it? The reason he is sourgraping is the fact that he got hurt because now he realises he is listening to a far inferior system than mine. I know for I have had the chance to live with his gear for awhile. Hehe we don't really care about what car he drives, but the thing is, he is probably, or sadly only experiencing 30% of what the music recording can offer especially in the DIGITAL realm. Actually the most faithful performer in his set up is the Samsung DVD player.

Why we don't really know for sure how long mr.porma considered himself to be an audiophile. Chances are many newbies here like Donlovejoy could have been in the scene longer than he did. I count 30 years, I listen to my music 10 hours a day. I love DIGITAL simply because I can play it all over for a thousand times and not suffer any decay or deterioration more so on my software of choice which is SACD.

These truths are the important things, the bare essentials of what this thread is all about. In the pursuit of my course towards musical nirvana we cannot avoid for small nickle and dimers hooked on analog to get hurt, thus we must merely dismiss them as casualties of war. I reserve the right to keep the torch of my convictions relevant as I can for I believe what we teach the young audiophiles today will judge us all tomorrow. Our elders taught us the turntable simply because there was no available alternative. Now we have the better alternative must we now keep the future breed of audiophiles in the dark ages?

Man's craziness to be polygamous in nature has led to the greatest lie of all. And that is that both analogue and DIGITAL could co-exist. That may be true during the early days of DIGITAL, but not anymore today. Why, we don't even have a DEDICATED forum on DIGITAL here at WS, just this thread. Unlike Mike Fremer and Harry Pearson who has opened up to the reality of DIGITAL in their magazine columns. Must we be also third world in the area of DIGITAL progress? No one can serve two masters at the same time..you will either hate one and love the other. If they were both as good as the other then let's simply put it this way. How would your wife or girlfriend react if she caught you kissing another woman and you told her Errr honey no need to worry I was thinking of you all the time! Hehe.

Nope, I would beg to disagree, DIGITAL is better if analog is.. how come we don't even read about it's merits here more so when I mention about it's failures? Some arrogant goats like mr.porma would even like to be "convinced" to DIGITAL..I say what for?He already mentioned he was tired of the ticks and pops! I really would have to resort to more medications as I try to figure out what these pretender's positions really are hehehe.

During my lunacy with the turntable this experience occured. My brand new Linn Sondek LP12 with it's then ITTOK arm and Koetsu cartridge was now ready to be used. This after the painstaking process of setting it all up to initiate playback. I took out my sealed brand new record of Cat Stevens, as I cued the thing on the first cut I started to hear popcorn on my speakers! As the stylus moved on by force of gravity I began to hear the following.. "It's not time to make a change..Just relax, take it easy..You're still young that's your fault..zsssst thud..that's your fault..zssst thud..that's your fault..SCREEEECH!..from the moment I was small. Geeze suddenly as if by magic I was in the middle of the refrain!

Please don't get me wrong, if the analogue thingy still turns you on then by all means enjoy it. Hehe however on this humble thread you might read my contributions and feel slighted then please accept my apologies in advance ganyan talaga ang buhay, as I explained, my plunge towards DIGITAL is never really for the light hearted. This thread creates the perfect balance to the realities of audio in the 21st century. The next time you ask yourself the question where you belong in all these controversies simply try to determine the number of listening hours you spend on both formats granting you are still in the middle of the fence, chances are you will determine where you belong and that's the most important thing in hi fidelity.

I for one would respect an analogista's views and contrary opinions provided they can of course defend their faith and gain my respect. But for the other's here who resort to vile allegations to meet their small victories..we the DIGITAL lovers can only feel sorry for them for indeed they are SCIONS of the Lost Cause. However my thanks for everybody including you jonas inspite of their difference in convictions who continue to read and contribute to this thread. " although their views may be wrong..or may even be perverted." Depeche Mode

SC

Your Love for DIGITAL begins..where your Devotion to the turntable ends!
Last edited by SoFtCliPpEr on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:47 pm

Donlovejoy wrote:I enjoy the new CDs now, especially SACDs and DVD audio. But the problem is there are only few titles available in the market. Hope that the titles available increases and the prices decreases! Hehehe :lol:

Hmmm allow me to share another experience. I was at Fully Booked at the Powerplant yesterday. And I was surprised at the turnout of music lovers buying their share of please take note: DTS 5.1 SURROUND CD, DTS DVD AUDIO, SACD and CD's!

I had to fall in line hehe. I can't help but notice a guy who was also looking over the vinyls available. What intrigued me was the fact that he was holding records to his chest tightly only to return them on the rack.
He kept doing this over and over again until to my surprise he started to go over the IRMA selection of CD's and got himself a couple of Eumir Deodato's! He caught up with me in line so I asked him. What's the matter didn't you like the vinyl selections afterall why so?

He sort of chuckled and said I would have loved to indulge but you see I'm using an old SL6 technics turntable, I can't believe I have to pay 3.000 pesos to hear Dido! Cd's would be a cooler choice on my Denon universal player he said. He quickly left the line in a hurry saying as if he just realised "oh excuse me I think 'll go back for the Dido cd as well can you keep my spot please." Hehe GLADLY!

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:52 pm

Audiogeek wrote:
JackD201 wrote:At this point we may have CDs for a much longer time than we would like much like flying in a 40 year old 747, when tech could have given us supersonic widebodies 20 years ago.

I totally agree that CD is in for a longer time and they are in for a good fight cos a lot of hirez cds are coming out now, recorded from a 24bit/192khz digital transfer, much like the SACD and DVD Audio in audiophile listening.

I recently purchased a remastered CD of Al Somma it sure knocked out some of my prized SACD :)
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby bb3 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:09 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:

During my lunacy with the turntable this experience occured. My brand new Linn Sondek LP12 with it's then ITTOK arm and Koetsu cartridge was now ready to be used. This after the painstaking process of setting it all up to initiate playback. I took out my sealed brand new record of James Taylor, as I cued the thing on the first cut I started to hear popcorn on my speakers! As the stylus moved on by force of gravity I began to hear the following.. "It's not time to make a change..Just relax, take it easy..You're still young that's your fault..zsssst thud..that's your fault..zssst thud..that's your fault..SCREEEECH!..from the moment I was small. Geeze suddenly as if by magic I was in the middle of the refrain!

that must be some rare record you have.
didn't know that james taylor had a version of "father and son" by cat stevens.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Donlovejoy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:15 pm

What's your take on Japanese CD titles JASRAC (Made in Japan), I use to buy at CD Exchange at Greenhills, there is also a special rack of this at Tower Records. One good buy was "The harbor lights" by Bozz Scags JASRAC Made in Japan
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:23 pm

discexchange2003 wrote:
SoFtCliPpEr wrote:

During my lunacy with the turntable this experience occured. My brand new Linn Sondek LP12 with it's then ITTOK arm and Koetsu cartridge was now ready to be used. This after the painstaking process of setting it all up to initiate playback. I took out my sealed brand new record of James Taylor, as I cued the thing on the first cut I started to hear popcorn on my speakers! As the stylus moved on by force of gravity I began to hear the following.. "It's not time to make a change..Just relax, take it easy..You're still young that's your fault..zsssst thud..that's your fault..zssst thud..that's your fault..SCREEEECH!..from the moment I was small. Geeze suddenly as if by magic I was in the middle of the refrain!

that must be some rare record you have.
didn't know that james taylor had a version of "father and son" by cat stevens.

Thanks for the correction :) you good!
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby Donlovejoy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:31 pm

SoFtCliPpER Wrote

"During my lunacy with the turntable this experience occured. My brand new Linn Sondek LP12 with it's then ITTOK arm and Koetsu cartridge was now ready to be used. This after the painstaking process of setting it all up to initiate playback. I took out my sealed brand new record of James Taylor, as I cued the thing on the first cut I started to hear popcorn on my speakers! As the stylus moved on by force of gravity I began to hear the following.. "It's not time to make a change..Just relax, take it easy..You're still young that's your fault..zsssst thud..that's your fault..zssst thud..that's your fault..SCREEEECH!..from the moment I was small. Geeze suddenly as if by magic I was in the middle of the refrain! "

Hey SoFtCliPpER;

That song is Father and Son by CATS STEVENS, your experience reminds me of my younger days when I was 10 years old. When the stereo system were as big as chest freezer and the only source was LP, those were the days of Radiowealth, National, etc.and yes you have to open it like a chest freezer inside it was the turn table, when it starts to skip I would place a 1 peso coin on top of the cartridge para lalo dumiin, and then ok na, pag nag skip uli put another 1 peso hanggang five 1 peso coins lang baka ma sobrahan sa gasgas. :lol:
Last edited by Donlovejoy on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:32 pm

Donlovejoy wrote:What's your take on Japanese CD titles JASRAC (Made in Japan), I use to buy at CD Exchange at Greenhills, there is also a special rack of this at Tower Records. One good buy was "The harbor lights" by Bozz Scags JASRAC Made in Japan

I have a jasrac SACD of CCR Creedence Clearwater Revival much to my dismay the sound quality was not up to par with my old CCR CD pressed in the US. However the JVC Synergy CD of mine of Salena Jones was comparable to my XRCD"s.

I'll check out that one you mentioned thanks
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby jonas » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:35 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
Very clear and anybody can merely scroll back to the earlier portion of this post that the off topic low blows were done by mr.porma first. !
SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
I don't really give a HOOT of how it will sound in your room pal. As for me I believe I have been generous enough to invite you to bring your "gear" over my place. No sense in you getting all worked up if I wouldn't like to let you borrow my babies pal.

I hope you can put a closure to these dream of yours and settle with the wonderful sound of your Samsung hehehe.!

i think the above was first blood. you did offer a home audition. i guess you changed your mind when you found out it was going to be compared with the samsung. you yourself said the samsung is the most legit of my equipment.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:Hehe panay kasi paninira niyan saksakan naman ng barat mamili. Para pang babae magdesisyon gusto niya tikman muna lahat sa hule ende naman tutupad sa usapan dyahe sa mga katoto niyang analogista.

mr.porma ala naman pera, cash usapan magbabayad ka ng tsekeng PDC hahaha. Keep your ill gotten money jonas mga pipitsugin mong "gear" like the A3.2 nagamit ko na yan bro.. tunog SS yan, haha mag tube ka para ende masyado matalas mga ABBA cd mo. Mag Sonus Faber ka din lang ende pa Cremona binili mo maybe ayaw tanggapin tseke mo ng Upscale ano? By the way I also junked my Auditors kasi mas maganda talaga tumunog ang Ls35'a's na hangad mong arborin hehe.

The only reason you want to get my babies in your home is to have your wife consent kung puedeng pagkagastusan yan mga pinagbibili mo. Hehehe ugaling "tigas" yan pre. Talk DIGITAL in this thread your off topic contributions are of no value here except to you alone hehe.

SC

if you claim the above wasnt a personal attack (since you said you didnt ), ill take your word for it just so i dont prove you wrong.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:sama Bin Laden to the eyes of an amateur audio buff like mr.porma, however that will never change the fact about how good DIGITAL is against analog does it? The reason he is sourgraping is the fact that he got hurt because now he realises he is listening to a far inferior system than mine. SC

this may be true but i only buy what i can afford. and i have not really listened to your system for me to believe it. i am happy with my MF3.2cr power amp with a DIY foreplay preamp but i am looking to upgrade my samsung.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:I know for I have had the chance to live with his gear for awhile. Hehe we don't really care about what car he drives, but the thing is, he is probably, or sadly only experiencing 30% of what the music recording can offer especially in the DIGITAL realm. Actually the most faithful performer in his set up is the Samsung DVD player.SC

ok, then, maybe ill keep my samsung. im still curious how your broken in trivista would sound in my setup.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:Why we don't really know for sure how long mr.porma considered himself to be an audiophile. Chances are many newbies here like Donlovejoy could have been in the scene longer than he did. I count 30 years, I listen to my music 10 hours a day. SC

almost everybody in wiredstate knows i only got on this hobby last year and i can only afford to listen max of 2 hours a day. where did you get your crazy ideas?
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:37 pm

Donlovejoy wrote:SoFtCliPpER Wrote

"During my lunacy with the turntable this experience occured. My brand new Linn Sondek LP12 with it's then ITTOK arm and Koetsu cartridge was now ready to be used. This after the painstaking process of setting it all up to initiate playback. I took out my sealed brand new record of James Taylor, as I cued the thing on the first cut I started to hear popcorn on my speakers! As the stylus moved on by force of gravity I began to hear the following.. "It's not time to make a change..Just relax, take it easy..You're still young that's your fault..zsssst thud..that's your fault..zssst thud..that's your fault..SCREEEECH!..from the moment I was small. Geeze suddenly as if by magic I was in the middle of the refrain! "

Hey SoFtCliPpER;

Thats by Father and Son by CATS STEVENS, your experience reminds me of my younger days when I was 10 years old. When the stereo system were as big as chest freezer and the only source was LP, those were the days of Radiowealth, National, etc.and yes you have to open it like a chest freezer inside it was the turn table, when it starts to skip I would place a 1 peso coin on top of the cartridge para lalo dumiin, and then ok na, pag nag skip uli put another 1 peso hangang five 1 peso coins lang baka ma sobrahan sa gasgas. :lol:

Honga thanks for correcting my error hehe! SC <------ Bangs his PC on his head. LOL tagal na kasi eh.

I remember the radiowealth Claire de lune of old. My deja vu happened much later naman hehe. I must add the stylus was easily detachable too and would often get lost in the middle of the party we had.

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:43 pm

jonas wrote:
SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
Very clear and anybody can merely scroll back to the earlier portion of this post that the off topic low blows were done by mr.porma first. !
SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
I don't really give a HOOT of how it will sound in your room pal. As for me I believe I have been generous enough to invite you to bring your "gear" over my place. No sense in you getting all worked up if I wouldn't like to let you borrow my babies pal.

I hope you can put a closure to these dream of yours and settle with the wonderful sound of your Samsung hehehe.!

i think the above was first blood. you did offer a home audition. i guess you changed your mind when you found out it was going to be compared with the samsung. you yourself said the samsung is the most legit of my equipment.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:Hehe panay kasi paninira niyan saksakan naman ng barat mamili. Para pang babae magdesisyon gusto niya tikman muna lahat sa hule ende naman tutupad sa usapan dyahe sa mga katoto niyang analogista.

mr.porma ala naman pera, cash usapan magbabayad ka ng tsekeng PDC hahaha. Keep your ill gotten money jonas mga pipitsugin mong "gear" like the A3.2 nagamit ko na yan bro.. tunog SS yan, haha mag tube ka para ende masyado matalas mga ABBA cd mo. Mag Sonus Faber ka din lang ende pa Cremona binili mo maybe ayaw tanggapin tseke mo ng Upscale ano? By the way I also junked my Auditors kasi mas maganda talaga tumunog ang Ls35'a's na hangad mong arborin hehe.

The only reason you want to get my babies in your home is to have your wife consent kung puedeng pagkagastusan yan mga pinagbibili mo. Hehehe ugaling "tigas" yan pre. Talk DIGITAL in this thread your off topic contributions are of no value here except to you alone hehe.

SC

if you claim the above wasnt a personal attack (since you said you didnt ), ill take your word for it just so i dont prove you wrong.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:sama Bin Laden to the eyes of an amateur audio buff like mr.porma, however that will never change the fact about how good DIGITAL is against analog does it? The reason he is sourgraping is the fact that he got hurt because now he realises he is listening to a far inferior system than mine. SC

this may be true but i only buy what i can afford. and i have not really listened to your system for me to believe it. i am happy with my MF3.2cr power amp with a DIY foreplay preamp but i am looking to upgrade my samsung.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:I know for I have had the chance to live with his gear for awhile. Hehe we don't really care about what car he drives, but the thing is, he is probably, or sadly only experiencing 30% of what the music recording can offer especially in the DIGITAL realm. Actually the most faithful performer in his set up is the Samsung DVD player.SC

ok, then, maybe ill keep my samsung. im still curious how your broken in trivista would sound in my setup.

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:Why we don't really know for sure how long mr.porma considered himself to be an audiophile. Chances are many newbies here like Donlovejoy could have been in the scene longer than he did. I count 30 years, I listen to my music 10 hours a day. SC

almost everybody in wiredstate knows i only got on this hobby last year and i can only afford to listen max of 2 hours a day. where did you get your crazy ideas?

Shhh I hear whitenoise LOL! BTW good to see you have accepted the monnicker I gave you :D
If you still wanna compare the Samsung to my Trivista no problemo you can still bring it over to my place. You know where I am.
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby Donlovejoy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:52 pm

SoFtCliPpEr:
SACD na JASRAC pa! WOW!!! :o Saan available and anong mga titles? :twisted:
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:13 pm

I used to buy a whole bunch of japanese CDs at D-Ex then they disappeared. I glimpsed a D-Ex sign on Connecticut st. (Tama ba? Road between Ghills East and North East). Is it the same store? A lot of the Japanese CDs sound comparable or better than my XRCDs. I'd like to find a local source for these again. Can anybody point the way? I'd appreciate it.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby arnoldc » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:16 pm

jackd, disc exchange it is. alive and well.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Donlovejoy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:29 pm

arnoldc wrote:jackd, disc exchange it is. alive and well.

Monseiur ARNOLDC where is this? The one at Virra mall was closed.

JackD201 your right some JASRAC sounds better than XRCD. But not the Three Blind Mice XRCD (Yamamoto rendition of Misty is legendary)
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:34 pm

it is near UCC, i think Connecticut. open from 1pm to 10pm i think. PM discexchange, he's the man. lotsa japanese CDs.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby detubo » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:38 pm

Dex is located along connecticut near the UCC Coffee house
detubo
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Digital