Player for Mac OS

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Player for Mac OS

Postby sientobente » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi, I need advice on which player to use for Mac OS. Currently, the good ones like Amarra and JRiver are not for free. Foobar isn't available for Mac. Any suggestions? Thanks.
sientobente

Re: Player for Mac OS

Postby Superman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:21 pm

A versatile player for both PC and Mac is JRiver
Superman
Master Showman

Postby sientobente » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:16 pm

I am currently running both the trial versions for JRiver Media 20 and Audirvana Plus 2. My initial impression is, both sound miles better than VLC and just iTunes. Can't find a remote though for JRiver for iOS while the native remote for ITunes work for Audirvana. My problem though wih Audirvana is, I can't import my FLAC files. :(
sientobente

Postby JackD201 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm an Amarra fan. Worth the money if you ask me. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby sientobente » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks for the input Sir Jack. Will go try that next :)
sientobente

Postby xander1925 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:11 pm

sientobente wrote:I am currently running both the trial versions for JRiver Media 20 and Audirvana Plus 2. My initial impression is, both sound miles better than VLC and just iTunes. Can't find a remote though for JRiver for iOS while the native remote for ITunes work for Audirvana. My problem though wih Audirvana is, I can't import my FLAC files. :(

I use Jremote for IOS to control Jriver... Maganda tong remote na to bro..
xander1925

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Another vote for Amarra here...
rtsyrtsy

Postby sientobente » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 am

xander1925 wrote:
sientobente wrote:I am currently running both the trial versions for JRiver Media 20 and Audirvana Plus 2. My initial impression is, both sound miles better than VLC and just iTunes. Can't find a remote though for JRiver for iOS while the native remote for ITunes work for Audirvana. My problem though wih Audirvana is, I can't import my FLAC files. :(

I use Jremote for IOS to control Jriver... Maganda tong remote na to bro..

Thanks for the pointing that out. I am pretty cheap and I haven't forked out $10 for the remote since I am still deciding which music software I need to purchase.

rtsyrtsy wrote:Another vote for Amarra here...

Thanks for the feedback sir. Already downloaded the Amarra Hifi. I just hope it plays FLAC since I got more than 300GB worth of FLAC files.
sientobente

Postby sientobente » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:02 am

After further review, looks like I'll be purchasing JRiver Media Center 20. Among the players tested, this is the only one that can play my FLAC files. It also helps that it cost less than Audirvana and has more features than the entry level Amarra for its price.
sientobente

Postby egay » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 am

sientobente wrote:After further review, looks like I'll be purchasing JRiver Media Center 20. Among the players tested, this is the only one that can play my FLAC files. It also helps that it cost less than Audirvana and has more features than the entry level Amarra for its price.

I've used the JRiver for a long time now starting with the 18 up to the 20 (now) and had been very happy with any. I use this to play all my PCM files directed towards USB 4 of my Mac Mini.
I use Audirvana for all my DSD files directed towards USB 3 of the Mac Mini.

The Audirvana is the simplest, No Fuss player in all.
The JRiver isn't that 'bad' in terms of setting-up - if you can figure those things out.
I have Amarra but I find it quirky and fussy because I can't seem to make it function well with iTunes (I don't really use iTunes but a friend does successfully). It's still installed in my Mac, though.

Just a note on storage :: In my experience, keeping my external HD maxed at 70% keeps my server at 100% functionality - no drop-outs, as compared to when I had a unit crammed to 80~90% capacity. Lesson I learned is 70% seems to be the one being followed by all my friends who are into Music Servers.

enjoy.

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Audivarna with DSD files got me hooked on digital and portables
detubo
Master
Master

Postby JoeyGS » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:37 pm

I am using JRiver 21 for over a year now

It can stream various music file types including DSD/DXD provided you have a DSD/DXD capable DAC.

It is installed in a music server (PC/windows server 2012/audiophile optimizer) for my main audio system and remote controlled by JRemote. I also have a renderer (SOTM SMS100) which supplies wifi streamed music to a headphone set-up. The wifi streamed music is coming from the same music server and is also controlled buy JRemote thru DHCP settings. So far no problems and working flawlessly. Both set-up, main and headphone, can operate simultaneously with the JRiver system.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Digital