Digitize My Music

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Digitize My Music

Postby egay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:46 am

For the past 1 or 2 years now, I have grown my computer audio files from about 500Gb to close to 1Tb, many of which started as CD collections ripped to FLAC and later to AIFF.

It was enjoyable ripping for the 1st 100 discs but it gets tiring as I move on. Must be my age ;)
Being sometimes stubborn, I continued ripping until my main desktop conked-out and then I've grown weary being such a knucklehead: I've invested quite a sum of money for that gamer-level PC, less the poser LEDs, and when it broke down, I said, "Quits!" and bought myself a Lenovo Q190, loaded it with JRiver 19 and enjoyed.

That was until mid-2014.

then I learned of DSD: well, actually, I knew of DSD as my SACDs, but then they are now available for downloads.
Wow. But that's another story. Later.

Is it really worth ripping my 300+ CDs, and some SACDs?
2 years ago, I supposed, "Yes" is reasonable. But today, I believe, it is more like, "Hell, NO!".

There are now so many download sights for high resolution audio that buying physical CDs seems to make no real sense; it has become like a waste of time.

At this point, I am retaining my physical discs, "as is". No more ripping. Just playing them the "old fashion way" and simply enjoy them while they can still play; remembering the phrase, "good sound forever" (or something like that) and then slapping myself silly for "momentarily" dropping LPs - but, hey, LPs are still here :P

I have retained my ripped music and the discs where they originated from, but I have resisted buying the physical media for as long as I can buy the high resolution copies; and they are growing.

I have retained some 200 LPs (after letting go close to a thousand over the past years) and my collection is growing again. I may have some inkling of stopping, but not today.
I refrain buying 96kHz & 192kHz copies when DSDs are available.
I still have my old Wadia 6i that formidably and wonderfully plays 44.1Khz CDs, but I have a "newer" combo - Transport+DAC - that plays upto 192Khz.
I've invested in a DSD-only DAC as a "support" for my PCM-only combo.

Heck, I just spent my Christmas present! :wasntme:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... hoto%2cjpg

Digital and Analog music co-existed in my system since the 90s.
Several years ago there was this argument here in WS about these media and those that "love" them, and the results were silly.

I suppose we all grew-up along the way.

Best Wishes for 2015!
And enjoy the music, WS Friends :hai:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Digitize My Music

Postby joejet » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Gorgeous Nu Vista 800. A legend reborn.
Digital and Analog in perfect harmony.
that's some serious setup you've got.
I love it.
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Nice!

DSD streaming + DAC is the way to go.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:06 pm

joejet wrote:Gorgeous Nu Vista 800. A legend reborn.
Digital and Analog in perfect harmony.
that's some serious setup you've got.
I love it.

yeah.
after years of waiting, it's finally here... again.
If Michaelson sticks with his 'tradition', then a DAC would follow soon.

Thanks Joejet :hai:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 pm

zenaudio wrote:Nice!

DSD streaming + DAC is the way to go.

Hi Nes,
Happy New Year!

I am currently using a MacMini as my music server and the Oracle DAC serves the processing.
The photos were the initial setup, which I have rearranged over the weekend...magulo pa yun listening room ko eh.
Yes, I do stream; and it's fun :rofl:

My DSD-only DAC is yet to arrive; na-traffic yata.

Downloadable music has improved a lot and the availability of high resolution PCM files is growing. I suppose it is because internet bandwidths have improved a lot, too, and the costs of HD have become cheaper. DSD - pure DSD, not conversions, on the other hand is a niche and may or may not make it mainstream but I hope it does.

I've simplified my analog front; at first I thought I would be lost with the pivoted TA but it turned-out easier to manage than my CA TQ1. still, I missed horizontal tracking... but not much.

Age is catching-up and I am getting lazy with LPs. But it will definitely not go away from here.

Cheers!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audionut » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your audio odyssey. I myself have opted to go the Digital route due to convenience. I haven't though tried DSD yet and so I'm very intrigued by it. Could you share what sites offer DSD downloads?

Many thanks!
alex
audionut
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 pm

audionut wrote:Thanks for sharing your audio odyssey. I myself have opted to go the Digital route due to convenience. I haven't though tried DSD yet and so I'm very intrigued by it. Could you share what sites offer DSD downloads?

Many thanks!
alex

Hi Alex,

There are a number of sites that offer DSD, for example:

HiFi Track
    HDTracks
    Pro Studio Masters
    Acoustic Sounds
    and my favorite: Native DSD

Wilson Audio also has some samplers.

Try them out.
I'm sure you will like them :hai: