Minimum notebook specs to play SACD iso with JR media player

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Minimum notebook specs to play SACD iso with JR media player

Postby mr8382004 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Hello, I'm planning to buy a notebook with the lowest specs that can play SACD iso on J River media player. I do prefer a touch screen notebook, but my budget is less than 30k. Intel atom and celeron processors are cheaper but I don't know if it can handle those Hi Res files? Can someone suggest what particular brand and model and what minimum RAM needed. And also I preferred 13 to 14 inch screen size.
Thanks
And also, I'll paired it with a DAC (Peachtree DAC itx), will this DAC help in processing the files?
mr8382004

Re: Minimum notebook specs to play SACD iso with JR media player

Postby onedown » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:15 am

if the lens of the notebook's optical drive can read data from the disc, i think notebooks with those processors should be able to handle it. note sure though if there are notebooks that can read sacds.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:51 pm

If you are not in a hurry, a lot of information on building your music server via desktop or laptop is available in this website: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gau_Ban » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:34 am

If I understand correctly, the SACD has already been converted into a format that a computer can read. I am not aware of any optical drive for PC that is SACD compatible due to licensing restrictions.

The minimum system requirements for jriver windows can be found here

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Window ... quirements

Woahh...ripping SACD requires jumping through many flaming hoops.

http://amplioaudio.blogspot.com/2014/02 ... ur-pc.html
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mr8382004 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks guys for the info specially to the link provided by Gau. Hope someone can still give me more info because I think the intel i5 processor is out of my budget. I'm currently using a Haswell Pentium 3 gigahertz 4 gig ram desktop which is ok playing the files, and want to know what's the equivalent processor for notebook.
And yes, SACD ISO is a digital file of a particular SACD disc so you don't need a SACD drive to play just the software only.
And these files were rip or extracted using a hacked first iteration of PS3 consule, later release of PS3 won't work bec. Sony revised it after learning the flaws.
mr8382004

Postby Gau_Ban » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 am

mr8382004 wrote:Thanks guys for the info specially to the link provided by Gau. Hope someone can still give me more info because I think the intel i5 processor is out of my budget. I'm currently using a Haswell Pentium 3 gigahertz 4 gig ram desktop which is ok playing the files, and want to know what's the equivalent processor for notebook.
And yes, SACD ISO is a digital file of a particular SACD disc so you don't need a SACD drive to play just the software only.
And these files were rip or extracted using a hacked first iteration of PS3 consule, later release of PS3 won't work bec. Sony revised it after learning the flaws.

In the "Recommended System" Jriver recommends an i5 processor because "Theater View and Video playback both require a more powerful, modern PC." So they recommend an i5 for video playback, not audio playback.

SACD audio files should be easy even for a Celeron. Unless you are running photoshop at the same time. So it depends how resource intensive your other tasks are. But just to play an SACD audio file doesn't require a high-end processor.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mr8382004 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks Gau, but can Celeron play the multi channel file of SACD? :)
mr8382004

Postby Gau_Ban » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:00 am

Jriver offers a network media player called the Id. It runs on a celeron and linux and it s based on an Intel NUC.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id#Quality_Hardware
In the Details section it says:

"Multichannel and DSD are supported over HDMI."

But why don't you ask at the jriver support forums? It won't hurt to get confirmation there.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mr8382004 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks very much sir Gau, I'll try your suggestion :D
mr8382004

Return to Digital