Apple Time Capsule or NAS?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Apple Time Capsule or NAS?

Postby Mamimili » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:55 pm

JoeyGS wrote:If you are open into building your own music server (ala DIY style) and still prefers hi-res music output, this is what I am using now.......

Music Server:
CAPS v3 Zuma (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... s-v3-zuma/) with Vortex Box OS/MusicPlayer
NOTE: This computer is configured for audio play only and cannot be used as an all around computer.

Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO - This case is built for handling fanless processors and power supply. This ensures that the noise generated by fans does not contaminate the audio signal
Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Motherboard - Current Intel motherboards are recommended as they use less power and generate less heat
Processor: Intel i3 - or even i7.... what's critical is to use the processor model that generates less heat even at higher processing speeds. This helps in eliminating the use of cooling fans
Memory: 4GB RAM or more
HDD: 2.5" 1TB - The better upgrade is to use SSD for the OS and another HDD for the music files. Eventually, when SSD capacities increase and price decreases, this is the way to go. With SSD, then are no mechanical operation thereby eliminating induced noise from the mechanical moving parts
Power Supply: picoPSU-150-XT + Adapter Power Kit - This is a fanless power supply system with enough wattage for audio purpose only. The next upgrade for this is an external linear power supply.
OS: VortexBox / Fedora Linux - Currently I am satisfied with the performance of this OS. This OS is free. The drawback of the Linux based OS is that you need some knowledge to facilitate its installation process. The next upgrade I am looking at is the use of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 coupled with JRiver. The advantage of this OS is that it's more user friendly since I am a windows user for a long time already. I already heard this combo in my system and it raises the bar in another level.
Playback App: SqueezPad, Logitech Media Server (formerly SlimServer, SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox Server) - This application provides wireless remote and wire streaming. Nice GUI and easy to use.
Accessories: Audiophile grade SATA cable, USB card re-clocker, isolation platforms for HDD/SSD - This accessories inside the music server has provide several levels of improvement in audio quality. At first I did not believe it, but when it was installed in the server, there is no turning back.....

You supply your own DAC to connect to the above music server via USB. Quality of the USB cable also matters and has an impact on the output quality. I would also be nice to get DACs with DSD/DXD capabilities together with the regular PCM.

Hope the above helps...... just sharing.......

Hello Joey
Now that i no longer have audio dropout I am starting to "get" this whole digital thing and considering SQ and operation improvements. I just re-read your guide. I am not ready to go diy yet, but i am getting closer!
Cheers
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:39 pm

How do i stop itunes from limiting me to 44.1 / 16 bit playback???

I have changed to 96/24 and window audio session on the playback preferences tab but it makes no difference.
System is windows 8 - wireless to apple airport express - Cambridge Audio DacMagic.
Files stored on WD MyCloud
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby hshrader » Wed May 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Have you considered Bluesound - it's node has a wireless playback of your files and internet radio in a system not tainted by itunes or DNLA playback.
hshrader
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 13, 2015 7:36 pm

hshrader wrote:Have you considered Bluesound - it's node has a wireless playback of your files and internet radio in a system not tainted by itunes or DNLA playback.

I have gone as far as i want to go, spent enough etc.
A digital system, for me, is never going to be anything but a lazy option.
Just like a cd, i find digital files flat and lifeless.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Previous

Return to Digital