Need help with Superpro 707 DAC

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Need help with Superpro 707 DAC

Postby hawk01 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Hello Folks!

I have an incoming Superpro 707 DAC. I am already familiar with the coaxial, optical toslink, as well as the USB type-B input ports on the unit. However, there is an I2S port (marked CTL on picture) which is supposed to provide a more direct connection to the DAC chip according to the literature online. See (red arrow) below pics for reference. Is anyone here familiar with what type of cable to be used in order to utilize this port? It seems like a LAN (CAT5e) type of cable to me. TIA for any feedback...

hawk01

Re: Need help with Superpro 707 DAC

Postby timber715 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Seems like an rj45 would fit, what music source do you use? Am curious cause there is a very small number of music player that has an "I2s out" in the market.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hawk01 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:45 pm

timber715 wrote:Seems like an rj45 would fit, what music source do you use? Am curious cause there is a very small number of music player that has an "I2s out" in the market.

According to the information (please see both links below) on features letter "a." USB inputs run direct to D to A...I2S...

Aside from CDP using the optical toslink port, my other source would be laptop using the USB port. I am assuming there would be a cable adapter where you have USB on one side and I2S on the other instead of the USB type B???

It does look like an RJ45 but having an RJ45 plug type on either end would be like hooking the laptop to a LAN instead of a DAC. Need advise on this one... TIA

http://www.diykits.com.hk/dac_super_pro_dac707.htm
http://www.diykits.com.hk/dac_super_pro_dac707.htm
hawk01

Postby timber715 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:01 am

I have another brand dac that also has a i2s input and from what I have read and research, you would need a source that has an i2s output. In case you wish to have the converter from usb to i2s it might cost you so much more than your dac. Last I inquired from a respected diy guy who makes these converters, he said it should set me back around 1.5k........ US dollars!
Maybe the store also carries the converter at a better price, it might be a better option though.
If your dac has a ess sabre chip, having a direct i2s connection allows you to play dsd, having said that I don't think the superpro has that...
If your dac chip cannot play dsd, it might be futile to look for the i2s since there would really be not much benefit. But if you really wish to pursue be ready for the costs. The custom cable alone could cost much more than your dac. Imho....
It would be a better option to replace your dac with another that suits the sound you look for or has the capability you seek.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hawk01 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:30 am

timber715 wrote:I have another brand dac that also has a i2s input and from what I have read and research, you would need a source that has an i2s output. In case you wish to have the converter from usb to i2s it might cost you so much more than your dac.

it does not make sense to spend more on connectivity than what the superpro costs to begin with. at least from your advise i realize the source must also have the I2S output in order to utilize this feature on the DAC. thanks for the tip, so laptop links via USB typeB on the superpro...
hawk01

Return to Digital