TEST: 24-bit vs. 16-bit audio - can you hear the difference?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

TEST: 24-bit vs. 16-bit audio - can you hear the difference?

Postby Archimago » Fri May 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Hello everyone. About a year ago I ran a test of lossless FLAC vs. MP3 that I know a number of you contributed to - thanks!

This time around, it's time to evaluate the concept of high-resolution audio! With the advent of things like HDTracks and the upcoming Pono music systems, does the home listener have the ability to discern 24-bit vs. 16-bit audio? Here's your chance to find out for yourself and contribute to an Internet effort to figure this out...

Come to my blog's test page, download the test package, and when you've done the evaluation, please fill in my on-line survey to let me know. Please do not take out the audio editor before listening, also please do not talk about answers and bias anyone else! :x

Finally - it's important to make sure your equipment is capable of actually delivering >16-bit resolution... This usually means not listening directly from your computer unless you know the DAC in it is good. Most modern hifi DACs should be capable though.

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/04/internet-test-24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio.html

All the best!
Archimago

Re: TEST: 24-bit vs. 16-bit audio - can you hear the difference?

Postby JackD201 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:15 am

Hi Arch,

I apologize for not taking part of your survey. Mainly, I just don't have the time. Also, you did not indicate the sources of your 16bit files. Is this a case of the 24bit release vs a rip of the 16bit release or is it the 24bit downconverted to 16bit? I think this is an important variable because mastering may differ between two releases of the same album.

In my experience when I go from a true 24 to the 16bit DOWNCONVERSION from the 24, the difference is obvious. I would harken comparing releases as comparing apples to oranges in effect making the comparison insufficient in terms of controls. JMHO.
JackD201
Immortal

Re: TEST: 24-bit vs. 16-bit audio - can you hear the difference?

Postby hearhead » Sun May 04, 2014 4:04 am

I know the test is being done in the spirit of good fun and ab testing and the resultant opinions is a goldmine of data but there are some points to be refined.

1. Unless you get two releases from the original master in both 16 and 24 bit youre method (if youre downgrading the file from 24 to 16bit) may introduce so many artifacts in the end result that run the gamut from jitter to how okay is your power supply in NOT interfering with your rips or downgrading.

2. If a user notices a lesser file size that user will form a bias which would color his opinion

3. If your user listens to those files with:

A. Vintage Gear
B. An untreated room
C. A certain threshold or noise floor within his listening space that he doesnt know about

Your results will likely be colored as the advantages of extended range will likely be very subtle if at all felt.

That being said weve listened to 16 vs 24 in a studio with an outboard Protools HD system and if it werent for the file size we all prefer the 24bit version. What we do is imagine a single point source for a specific instrument and we listen multiple times to the track until we adequately have an idea of how that instrument's sound occupies an imaginary space. When we listen to the other track and the imaginary boundary we put the instrument in, extends or becomes more spherical usually thats the higher res file.

That technique wont serve you though if your houses noise floor is high. Youd just hear the ref or the light humming instead of hearing another layer of range.

But again, i believe that 24 bit has a place in the life of music appreciators which includes most consumers because we dont listen with our ears alone. Our head vibrates and our skin "hears" in a tactile manner and 24 bits advantages may rely on the realm of psychoacoustics. Also, a subwoofer and a supertweeter actually makes sense with 24bit files.

Sorry. Insomnia got the best of me :D
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Digital