The digital defects of LP

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

The digital defects of LP

Postby Gau_Ban » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:16 am

I finally re-found this page written by a Mr. Jim Lesurf, a retired reader of Physics and Electronics at the School of Physics and Astronomy at St. Andrews University. I read it several years ago but than I forgot where to find it.

In summary, Mr. Lesurf points out that "digital" and "analog" are just concepts and that a signal exhibits properties of both.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/iandm/part12/page1.html

Of particular interest is his take on the "digital defects" of the LP format.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/iandm/part12/page2.html
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Re: The digital defects of LP

Postby sumnerbrowne » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:40 am

Wow! A contrarian perspective.

Thanks, Sir!
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby Gau_Ban » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:05 pm

sumnerbrowne wrote:Wow! A contrarian perspective.

Thanks, Sir!

I am not sure why you say it is a contrarian perspective. There are people who maintain a belief that analog is superior and the article contradicts their cherished beliefs. I've never felt that one format is inherently superior to one or the other. You can get good results as well as bad results with either analog or digital equipment.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Gau_Ban wrote:
sumnerbrowne wrote:Wow! A contrarian perspective.

Thanks, Sir!

I am not sure why you say it is a contrarian perspective. There are people who maintain a belief that analog is superior and the article contradicts their cherished beliefs. I've never felt that one format is inherently superior to one or the other. You can get good results as well as bad results with either analog or digital equipment.

Yup, it is contrarian relative to the analog stickler's vantage point. For this the link you sent is appreciated. Thanks.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Return to Digital