MIDI Audio setup basics: HELP

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

MIDI Audio setup basics: HELP

Postby Quiel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:40 am

Hope this is the right forum for this inquiry.

I did some research but I need more specific info on this subject. For peeps who went thru this setup, may i request for tips on what componets to consider? Would prefer brands and models locally available. Nothing fancy and high-end but something decent to get my son started in accomplishing these objectives: 1) play keytar for different emulations like a Strat , 2) record instruments tracks to beef up live performances.

Here's a simple diagram of what I have in mind:
http://www.musicmall.com/cmp/TutorialImages/compsys1.gif

We do have midi-capable keyboard and keytar. And we're thinking of getting and building on this as well: http://www.musiclab.com/products/realstrat/info.html.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Re: MIDI Audio setup basics: HELP

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 am

im a frustrated music producer so i dont know if this will help hehe

i like the roland sound module most....more natural tone than the yamaha imho. i also used cakewalk for software which previously is a standard.

dont know new products now...but a lot of cheaper alternative already you can see at JB music mart....forgot the brand but its a blue/black packaging.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Quiel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am

thanks.

checked one sequencer s/w+h/w from JB @ P37k! Lowest na nga yata yun. Anyway, downloaded and installed some demo DAWs. hope they work and easy enough for a noob like me
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:08 am

you can use some midi keyboard as sound generator pala....look for how many instrument it can produce at one time. i dont know if sound blaster still has the premium roland chip sound card but they do have that variant long time ago. you should note that there is a diff between how sound is generated. most cheaper midi sound library are computer generated as compared to sampled sound of the more expensive kind.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Quiel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 am

salamat. our keytar carries several instruments. but even it's guitar isn't very convincing.

sharing an update: installed demo version of Real Strat. Connected keytar via USB and voila! EMULATION successful. wow, it does sound like a real electric guitar!!! now, if I can only play even a little shade of my fave lead guitarist :). this should work with any other keyboard with MIDI.

am sure my son will be thrilled.
Quiel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby lurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:24 pm

basically MIDI instruments also known as synthesizers were in hardware format that had it limitations in how much memory (the sound set, ROM memory) it could carry. the bigger the the memory the more it was expensive to manufacture. Now going into the digital age they are called softsynths (software synthsizers) and now are installed into computers. There is more headroom for sound set memory because of the combination of ram memory and harddisk space. An entire symphony orchestra sample set could reach more than 40-100 gigabytes, so this is an advantage when doing movie soundtracks and big projects that need a "near-simulation of an authentic musical instrument.

For those starting out usually a fast PC, a (audio interface) sound card which has ASIO drivers (for low latency response), a midi keyboard or a MIDI controller to trigger/record MIDi events and software. usually you have sequencing software and then add softsynth software or sometimes the software is standalone meaning it is a complete package of the instrument samples and also the program itself. the usual buzzwords with this setup are "ASIO" - a proprietary audio system for efficient input/out of audio. , "latency" - the degree of audio delay. lower is better, "VST" - virtual studio technology. This is a standard host for VST plugins created by Steinberg.

For beginners you can get away with a creative audigy or xfi sound card which has low latency drivers, and of course sequencing software which is vst compatible and vst instrument software.

Entry level equipment would be a M-audio 24/96 pci card with bundled software at 7.2k, next would be the Avid recording studio with a 24/48 usb interface and Pro tools SE at 9.5k. alternatively the Behringer u-control uca202 usb at less than 3k would be okay for beginners, but it has its limitations.
lurker

Postby alfa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi as for the MIDI source or player i'll let the others suggest on what's best to use.

If you have a Mac computer the garageband is more than enough to let him play. Problem is your midi controller has to have USB out. I think theres an adapter that lets you hook up your midi to the Mac's USB port. Perfect pitch would have that.

Other option is to install garageband in the iPad. I got a gadget called iRig. It hooks up to the iPad charging port and it has inputs for the midi controller. The sound you pipe out through the ipad's headphone out

If its a PC there are programs similar to garageband. To get the midi signal into the PC you have to get a sound card which has a midi/in out. Creative Labs should have one. There's also a USB to MIDI cable just check which is cheaper and would work.

As for the stores check perfect pitch and JB Music as the latter is the distributor of M-Audio
alfa
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Digital