CD Turns 30

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

CD Turns 30

Postby Audiogeek » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 am

CNN: Rock on! The compact disc turns 30

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* On October 1, 1982, Billy Joel's "52nd Street" was released commercially on CD.
* CDs wouldn't overtake cassettes in popularity until the late 1980s.
* CDs remain popular but are losing ground to MP3s and streaming music.
* Whether the audio quality of CDs is greater than vinyl remains a hotly debated topic.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: CD Turns 30

Postby egay » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:15 am

Audiogeek wrote:CNN: Rock on! The compact disc turns 30

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* On October 1, 1982, Billy Joel's "52nd Street" was released commercially on CD.
* CDs wouldn't overtake cassettes in popularity until the late 1980s.
* CDs remain popular but are losing ground to MP3s and streaming music.
* Whether the audio quality of CDs is greater than vinyl remains a hotly debated topic.

Nostalgic?

Well, the promise of "good sound forever" was really too good to be true, but technology did make the disc sound better than when it started in the 80s.

I was among those who first who "braved" the technology and went on to order my first "high-end" (high-priced??) CDP - the Wadia 6... the flagship 7 & 9 were tremendous, but they are wayyyyy over my pay-grade. At that stage, I was preparing to get the formidable Counterpoint SA9 Phonostage set for a little bit more peso, but the allure of the Wadia got me; PLUS, I can ditch my preamp and spend the rest of my change on those "little, shiny" discs that looked prettier than the black plactic.... hahaha! I'm ok :clap: |(

Hmmm :?:, in retrospect, my expectation that the LPs will die a natural death was short-lived because here we are now, still investing in a "tractor" technology and still hunting for that elusive disc; meanwhile the CeeDee seems to be in the ICU and waiting for the final bacteria or virus to seal its fate... :wasntme: ...

But 30 years?
Wow, quite a long time to die.

I'm still having my eyes on "that" Wadia even though I have another player whose technology maybe at par but not better. I'm sure of that.

so, what is it then?
Happy birthday? :drunk:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Digital