Where to get new DACMagic Plus?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Where to get new DACMagic Plus?

Postby carbondated » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:05 am

The new DACs just keep getting better and better. I'd just swapped out my Cambridge Audio DacMagic for the Musical Fidelity V-Dac II with asynchronous USB, which was harsh for the first week or so until it opened up nicely -- just can't stand the chipipay thin metal case. Now Cambridge Audio have announced the new DacMagic Plus with asynchronous USB and a level control with new chips. Any idea who distributes CA and when they'll hit our shores?
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Where to get new DACMagic Plus?

Postby joejet » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:32 am

The dealer is 5th Avenue Electronics. I used to have a DACMAGIC that I specially ordered from 5th Ave as they didn't bring in this particular item. This new DACMAGIC plus really looks good from its spec sheets. I believe you can indent order from them..I ordered mine then from Shangrila branch..
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:04 am

AFAIK, Avesco is still the distributor of CA. 5th avenues is the retail arm of Avesco.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby carbondated » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks, guys :) It's a shame Cambridge Audio isn't really very dynamic in their marketing here -- most of their products have amazing quality-to-price ratio. Walang cachet nga lang kasi made in China...
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

carbondated wrote:Thanks, guys :) It's a shame Cambridge Audio isn't really very dynamic in their marketing here -- most of their products have amazing quality-to-price ratio. Walang cachet nga lang kasi made in China...

If you think the marketing is weak in Manila i hope you never experience their service support in Singapore.
A few years ago Cambridge Audio issued a notice on their website to change a certain power supply for the DACMagic as the case was prone to cracking open.
I wrote to the Singapore dealer, twice, no reply. (I purchased in Singapore, silly me, never again).
Wrote to Cambridge Audio UK, received a pretty fast response telling me to go through the dealer in Singapore, which i did again and again no reply.
So now i am waiting patiently for my power supply case to crack and electrocute me, after which my family will sue both the Singaporean dealer and Cambridge Audio UK.

Yes i like Cambridge Audio products, i have a few, dealing with the distributor in KL is a pleasant enough experience but their Singapore service attitude and safety concerns are a joke.

If the Singapore dealer happens to read this : Hey MORON, i have copies of my one way correspondence with you and copies of my correspondence with Cambridge Audio.

(I can only assume he thinks he is dealing with a Malay so does not need to bother with service)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby dafos » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm

It's obvious the singapore dealer doesn't really care, so why dont you just coordinate with 5th ave audio/avesco for the new power supply. I know they'll probably charge you the cost of a replacement but it's better than risking serious injury. And for all you know, as a matter of PR, they may just honor the warranty on your unit.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 pm

dafos wrote:It's obvious the singapore dealer doesn't really care, so why dont you just coordinate with 5th ave audio/avesco for the new power supply. I know they'll probably charge you the cost of a replacement but it's better than risking serious injury. And for all you know, as a matter of PR, they may just honor the warranty on your unit.

Understood, but as Cambridge Audio UK posted a safety notice on their website i feel they should do something other than refer me back to the Singaporean dealer after being told twice that he does not respond.

I have just sent a final email to the Singaporean dealer, i will wait 5 days......
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby carbondated » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:05 pm

I had the same problem -- I was living in the UK then and I just received an email saying a replacement was in the post, and it arrived a week later!

5th Ave is like a hardware shop that sells everything under the sun these days; I've a feeling CA is the least of their priorities... wish someone would take over the dealership!
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dafos » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:38 pm

About a year ago, I purchased an AVR from 5th ave and I saw the cambridge gear. The store manager seemed to know enough of these Cambridge products.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Within a few hours of sending my 3rd email, a response from the dealer, one PSU will be sent to KL.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Return to Digital