Digital Signal from Ipod/Ipad/Iphone

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Digital Signal from Ipod/Ipad/Iphone

Postby takussa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:40 am

Fiio adapters?
takussa
Citizen
Citizen

Postby maitani » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Just wanted to share my experience in getting the best sound from IOS devices (iPad 2 & iPhone 4S). The best setup I have tried:
1. GoldenEar app in iPhone 4S/iPad2 – can play flac files up to 24 bit 192 kHz (downloaded from Linn music store)
2. Nuforce Icon iDo – iPhone/iPad plugs into this device via USB cable
3. Nuforce DDA-100 amp – iDo plugs into this "power DAC" via digital coaxial cable

I have heard the setup connected to top Polk bookshelf monitors and Definitive Technology tower speakers. Please note that I did not buy the Icon iDo but just used it to evaluate the DDA-100 amp which I eventually bought.

About 2 years ago, I have also listened to HRT iStreamer connected to my iPad 2 and that was good too but clearly below the standard of the HRT Music Streamer II also connected to my iPad via Camera Connection Kit and powered Belkin USB hub. I bought the HRT Music Streamer II but subsequent Apple updates broke the ability to it connect to the iPad.

Joey, in your setup, the Icon iDo will replace the iPod doc and DAC. The icon iDo can be just another input to your preamp as the Icon iDo has both digital and analog outputs.
maitani
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks for sharing.... at least I have other options.

In your HRT Music Streamer II, what was the error message when you updated the IOS?

Also, was the HRT connected this way? .........IPAD --> CCK --> Belkin USB Hub --> HRT Music Streamer II

Regards,
JoeyGS

maitani wrote:Just wanted to share my experience in getting the best sound from IOS devices (iPad 2 & iPhone 4S). The best setup I have tried:
1. GoldenEar app in iPhone 4S/iPad2 – can play flac files up to 24 bit 192 kHz (downloaded from Linn music store)
2. Nuforce Icon iDo – iPhone/iPad plugs into this device via USB cable
3. Nuforce DDA-100 amp – iDo plugs into this "power DAC" via digital coaxial cable

I have heard the setup connected to top Polk bookshelf monitors and Definitive Technology tower speakers. Please note that I did not buy the Icon iDo but just used it to evaluate the DDA-100 amp which I eventually bought.

About 2 years ago, I have also listened to HRT iStreamer connected to my iPad 2 and that was good too but clearly below the standard of the HRT Music Streamer II also connected to my iPad via Camera Connection Kit and powered Belkin USB hub. I bought the HRT Music Streamer II but subsequent Apple updates broke the ability to it connect to the iPad.

Joey, in your setup, the Icon iDo will replace the iPod doc and DAC. The icon iDo can be just another input to your preamp as the Icon iDo has both digital and analog outputs.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hshaun05 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 am

I just want to share my Digital source.

Simple lang yun sa akin.

iPod (lossless file) - LOD to RCA - Integrated Amp. - halos same na nmn sila ng CDP.

ngayon ang gagawin ko nmn para mas hindi matalas yun tunog.

iPod - LOD to USB - DAC - RCA/Coax/Toslink - Amp.
hshaun05

Postby maitani » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:50 am

Re Joey's question on connection setup, here is what I sent as feedback to GoldenEar author:

Connection setup:
IPad2 running Golden Ear 1.7 and playing HDtracks flac 24bit 96kHz > Belkin powered USB2 hub > HRT Music Steamer II > DIY tube preamplifier > power amp > speakers

Works but Dac shows only 44.1 kHz so there is downsampling of the flac 24bit 96kHz files.

FYI
maitani
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Digital