Which Mac Mini (2010 vs. 2011) as Music Server?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Which Mac Mini (2010 vs. 2011) as Music Server?

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:50 pm

I've been waiting for the MacMini refresh to set up my music server. (I currently stream via an Airport Express.) Now that the new 2011 Mac Minis are out, I'm quite disappointed that Apple removed the DVD / CD drive!

So Option 1 is to get the 2011 Mac Mini with an external Blu-Ray drive.

Image + Image

Option 2 is to get the 2010 Mac Mini. It can play DVD's / CD's. For high def video, I'll just have to stream it. I have far more DVDs than Blu-Ray as most of my high def videos are on a hard drive.

Having a built-in DVD drive allows me to replace multiple devices (Airport Express for music, WD TV Live for streaming movies, and DVD player) with just a Mac Mini.

Option 3 is to sequester my daughter's MacBook and use that as my music server. The downside of this is that the MacBook does not have HDMI out so it won't serve movies.

What would you if you were in my position?

I'm already on OSX Lion so even if I get the 2010 MacMini, I can move to OSX Lion at no cost.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
rtsyrtsy

Re: Which Mac Mini (2010 vs. 2011) as Music Server?

Postby desmo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Russ, kung pure audio lang, how about this one? Stripped down and souped-up for audio 2010 Mac Mini. Someone you know is using this and having heard it, I can say it comes very close to high-end TT playback.

http://www.mach2music.com/
desmo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Why not get a new Apple TV + white macbook instead? This one streams both video and music, but only has optical audio out and HDMI out. A 750GB drive is readily available locally, so storage space for lossless files is not an issue. So, for audio, you either use the HDMI or optical out of the Apple TV. The only problem here is you are captive to files native to iTunes. So, it will only play MP4/MOV encoded videos and iTunes friendly.

While the new (black) apple TV is just 99USD, but is not available here. I have a contact that can order 1 for you, if you're interested.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fld » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 pm

desmo wrote:Russ, kung pure audio lang, how about this one? Stripped down and souped-up for audio 2010 Mac Mini. Someone you know is using this and having heard it, I can say it comes very close to high-end TT playback.

Johnny,

That's only good for music only. With video & other requirements, not optimized for that.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gino » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:23 pm

The Mac Mini 2010 I believe has an Nvidia 320M graphics chip. My MacBook Air 11.6" has that and it struggles with 1080p videos. It can only do 720p. The 2010 Mini has a more powerful cpu than the Air 2010. I do not know if that helps with videos.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby desmo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 pm

fld wrote:
desmo wrote:Russ, kung pure audio lang, how about this one? Stripped down and souped-up for audio 2010 Mac Mini. Someone you know is using this and having heard it, I can say it comes very close to high-end TT playback.

Johnny,

That's only good for music only. With video & other requirements, not optimized for that.

Yeah, purist approach. Anything in hardware and software that doesn't have anything to do with audio playback was removed. Hence, no video.
Last edited by desmo on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desmo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for your responses thus far.

@muypogi, I'd like to play around with 24/192 files so I can maximize the capabilities of my DAC. So that rules out the Apple TV for me.

@desmo, if I remember correctly, I actually mentioned Mach2Music to our dear friend in several past discussions on music servers. But I do need it to do double duty for video as well to keep my box count low.

@gino, thanks so much for pointing out the chokes on 1080p problem. I guess the new Mac Mini is the way to go. I can actually keep the Bluray drive in the main computer rig and just connect it to the Mac Mini on the rare occasions that I watch movies with it.

@fld, I'm wondering if Mach2Music would put their models based on the 2010 Mac Mini on sale now that the 2011 is out. If this happens, I can consider swapping the PS3 (now in the bedroom) and the Wii (now in the living room where the main stereo rig is). This way, I have a Mach2Music for music and a PS3 for Blu-Ray and streamed hi def movies. But still...$1,400 for the Mach2Music vs. $600 for the 2011 Mac Mini...I can get a really good USB-S/PDIF converter for that price difference!

Oh well, isip-isip...
rtsyrtsy

Postby Gino » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 pm

My MacBook Air 2010 sounds good connected on the headphone out. Way better than any iPod. I suspect the Mac Mini 2010 or 2011 will sound the same. My Mac is my media player. I use my iPod Touch as my iTunes remote. Lately, I use it to play movies on my tv.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:23 am

Was quite surprised at this notice on Mach2Music's homepage:

To All Mach2 Music Server Owners,

Mach2 Music has gone to great lengths to reduce the noise created by OSX in the Mach2 Build. The result is a terrific sounding Music Server. We appreciate our customers and want to take a few minutes to discuss OSX Lion. We have been getting questions about this and want to keep everyone informed.

As you may know, Apple is about to release OSX Lion (version 10.7). While this will only be a $29 upgrade in terms of price, it will be huge in the amount of new code it has. And while this new version of OSX will offer most Mac users some interesting new functionality, it will also come with many more functions running continuously in the background (i.e Security, Auto Save, iOS look/feel, etc.) This may be good for general users, but it isn't good from a Music Server perspective. We want the Server focusing on the Music, not 250 other things...

So, PLEASE, DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR MACH2 SERVER TO LION!!!!

If you do upgrade your Mach2 Server, a few things will happen.

1) Many of the Mach2 optimizations will be overwritten/undone.
2) Your Music Server will sound worse.
3) If you need Mach2 to reload your machine, or assist you in doing so, we will have to charge you $$$.

We are looking at making a Lion build. Honestly, because of the things that have been added to OSX in the Lion release, we are not sure weather we can make it sound as good as OSX Snow Leopard (10.6). If we can make Lion sound as good or better than the current version, we will offer an upgrade to Lion for our previous customers.

We figure it will take a couple of months to explore Lion and make a decision. We will post info on the website if we decide to produce a Mach2 Server with Lion.

Best Regards,
Mach2 Music
rtsyrtsy

Postby Gino » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:49 am

Looks like they are equalizing and perhaps introducing harmonics via software. "Optimization" to me sound like they are hacking into OS X. This violates the Apple EULA. Not that we really care ;)
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 am

Gino wrote:Looks like they are equalizing and perhaps introducing harmonics via software. "Optimization" to me sound like they are hacking into OS X. This violates the Apple EULA. Not that we really care ;)

Hey, if it sounds good, I have no complaints!

I've not come across any sort of "harmonics-introduction" by Mach2Music. What I've come across described in various forums / reviews is that they merely shut down all non-audio programs, functions, etc. I think that's all the extra US$900 one pays for a Mach2Music vs. a regular Mac Mini.
rtsyrtsy

Postby Gino » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:45 am

Get one so we can audition it :lol:
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:18 am

For the price of the Mach 2, I'd rather get an Olive 4HD, which is optimised also for music and already has a 1TB HDD and specialized software, remote and iPad app.

Which goes back to the same dilemma. . . you may be forced to have 2 boxes. 1 for Music and 1 for movies. Offhand, I'd recommend a Popcorn Hour (with DVD player) and the Olove 4HD kung talagang no-holds barred quality yung gusto mo. Mac Mini is a great all-in-one solution, but not the most optimum one, if you have the budget ...

:wasntme:
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby desmo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:42 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:
Gino wrote:Looks like they are equalizing and perhaps introducing harmonics via software. "Optimization" to me sound like they are hacking into OS X. This violates the Apple EULA. Not that we really care ;)

Hey, if it sounds good, I have no complaints!

I've not come across any sort of "harmonics-introduction" by Mach2Music. What I've come across described in various forums / reviews is that they merely shut down all non-audio programs, functions, etc. I think that's all the extra US$900 one pays for a Mach2Music vs. a regular Mac Mini.

Not sure kung kasama na sa $900 yung solid state drive (SSD) and RAM upgrade to 8 GB. Yung SSD is dedicated to the trimmed down Snow Leopard. The music files are accessed via firewire from an outboard HDD.
desmo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby redline_xp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:54 am

For the price of the Mach 2, I'd rather get an Olive 4HD, which is optimised also for music and already has a 1TB HDD and specialized software, remote and iPad app.

Thanks sir Muy...just to Clarify:

Olive O4HD has 2TB HDD, Using Linux OS. Sorry of invading the thread :)
redline_xp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 am

desmo wrote:Not sure kung kasama na sa $900 yung solid state drive (SSD) and RAM upgrade to 8 GB. Yung SSD is dedicated to the trimmed down Snow Leopard. The music files are accessed via firewire from an outboard HDD.

I think the SSD is included. Not sure about the RAM. I think the music can be accessed via USB as well as Firewire.

The Olive and Popcorn Hour brings me back years...since I started getting interested in Music Servers and HTPC. I really want to keep the box count low and am happy to sacrifice specific things like the ultimate in video quality or the most processing power.

I'm getting close to a 2011 Mac Mini + and external Blu-Ray drive. I'll go take a cold shower and see how I feel after that!
rtsyrtsy

Postby Gino » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:48 am

This thread made me want a Mac Mini. I am surprised at the price. The price should fall with DigitalHUB's Philmug.ph's member's discount. Right now I am using my MacBook Air as my primary audio & media player. A Mac Mini will be a more appropriate device. A stock Mac Mini Mid 2011 and Amarra software should sound great.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby carbondated » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:26 am

Has anyone noticed that Front Row has disappeared in Lion?! I actually used that!
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby fld » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:21 am

@fld, I'm wondering if Mach2Music would put their models based on the 2010 Mac Mini on sale now that the 2011 is out. If this happens, I can consider swapping the PS3 (now in the bedroom) and the Wii (now in the living room where the main stereo rig is). This way, I have a Mach2Music for music and a PS3 for Blu-Ray and streamed hi def movies. But still...$1,400 for the Mach2Music vs. $600 for the 2011 Mac Mini...I can get a really good USB-S/PDIF converter for that price difference!

You can email them Russ, but i doubt it. They don't stock Mac Minis at all. When you order, thats the time they purchase the Mac Mini s and then do their magic.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 am

You meant Stock Mac Mini + USB-S/PDIF converter would be at par in SQ and lower in price as compared with the Mach2Music?

fld wrote:@fld, I'm wondering if Mach2Music would put their models based on the 2010 Mac Mini on sale now that the 2011 is out. If this happens, I can consider swapping the PS3 (now in the bedroom) and the Wii (now in the living room where the main stereo rig is). This way, I have a Mach2Music for music and a PS3 for Blu-Ray and streamed hi def movies. But still...$1,400 for the Mach2Music vs. $600 for the 2011 Mac Mini...I can get a really good USB-S/PDIF converter for that price difference!

You can email them Russ, but i doubt it. They don't stock Mac Minis at all. When you order, thats the time they purchase the Mac Mini s and then do their magic.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Digital