Commiseration Thread for those Ripping & Re-Ripping CDs

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Commiseration Thread for those Ripping & Re-Ripping CDs

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 pm

So, after recovering my old FLACs from a failed hard drive, I'm now in the process of ripping new CDs I got and re-ripping corrupted files.

I started with Amy Winehouse this morning (after setting up an old external DVD burner) and have thus far reached Chopin. I re-arranged my CD's alphabetically since no one else gets my by genre-by favorite-by sounds good matrix of arranging physical discs on a cabinet.

So I thought of starting a thread so those in the same boat can perhaps share tips on how to survive this mind-numbing task. ;-)

Here's what I've done so far:

1--Downloaded Dogs 101 and am watching every breed. Fortunately, my daughters and I actually find this interesting and fun.

2--Wikipedia the artist I am ripping. Having started with Amy Winehouse, there was a lot of news to keep me busy. :D

3--Read up on quick preparation & cooking recipes. My Ma Po Tofu was a resounding success!
rtsyrtsy

Re: Commiseration Thread for those Ripping & Re-Ripping CDs

Postby iceman90a » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 pm

am doing the same thing - but only to mp3, while doing that I'm reading comicbooks recently downloaded
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:43 am

Dead HDD are my worst nightmare. . . so much so that it's what keeps me from ripping to Apple Lossless. I keep my music library in my macbook, another in my Ipod Classic 160GB and then in a backup disk. That's why my codec of choice is still 320kbps AAC. . .
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm pleased to report that I am about 30-40% done on this project.

I'm really not happy with MusicBrainz. It's OK if most of the albums in your collection are newish. MusicBrainz is rather limited when it comes to older music like Sinatra, Belafonte, etc.

I'm also having trouble with album cover especially on compilation albums. It looks like it's time to dust off the good 'ole flatbet scanner.
rtsyrtsy

Postby Gino » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 pm

I am enjoying my rips now more than ever. The MacBook Air 11" sounds good. I plug that to my audio system and then I use my iPod Touch 4 as a remote with a Remote app from iTunes. I can see all of my iTunes content including album coverflow, playlists, etc. Remote app is free on iTunes.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:04 am

I'm waiting for SS Drives to be mainstreamed and then transfer all my files there :$

meanwhile, I have a redundant setup for the "just-in-case" scenario:
Main: 2x160GB WDs internals & 1x80GB laptop as music server
Back-up: 1TB WD + 60GB external + 2x40GB externals

I'm thinking of going into a multi-array NAS soon, but I want to try first the SS drives

It's not really fun ripping, less so re-ripping

Greets!
.e.
^_^
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gino » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

A netbook spec'd mini itx pc with Freenas was in my sights a few months ago. Nice project.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:55 am

I've now hit my compilation CDs. I hate ripping discs featuring Various Artists! MusicBrainz ain't brainy enough to automatically give me track titles and artists. Aaaaaaargh!
rtsyrtsy

Return to Digital