EAC & FLAC: Hv There Been Improvements Since 2008?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

EAC & FLAC: Hv There Been Improvements Since 2008?

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 am

I have a bunch of FLACs (aobut 700 CDs) that I ripped via EAC back in 2008.

I thought I lost it all in a hard drive crash (thank you, Maxtor Shared Storage) but a switch to Mac and the addition of a NAS allowed me to recover a mirror stored in an EXT3 formatted USB drive and compressed via .tar.gz.

I really do not want to re-rip (as I need to rip a couple hundred CDs I've added since 2008) but I'd consider doing so if there is significant SQ improvement.

I know, I know, I should just try it myself. But I'm lazy. So in case someone else has done it, I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in advance!
rtsyrtsy

Re: EAC & FLAC: Hv There Been Improvements Since 2008?

Postby muypogi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Assuming your FLACs were bit perfect copies of the CDs, you're ok. The only thing you can improve is the DAC in your digital playback. Since it's a file, jitter and irregularities in the transport are not an issue. Pagandahan na lang ng DAC. . .

Still hanging on to my 320 kbps AACs since I like carrying my entire music in my laptop and ipod. And my system's fidelity is such that I don't get bothered by the difference in CD and AAC. In fact, in non-critical, relaxed listening mode, a 320kbps AAC file will be more than enough if your'e in the mood to just let the music flow.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bogart » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 am

Here's my 2 cents Russ. I compared FLAC vs WAV and I like the latter better. I compared rips from EAC vs dBPoweramp and I like dBP better. EAC tends to roll off the highs quite noticably. dBPoweramp is not perfect either but has lesser degree of ommission. Good luck! :) :) :)
Bogart
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 am

I'm now burning the midnight oil learning how to configure Max on a Mac.

I'm seriously considering converting all my FLACs to ALAC.

I'm not sure I'd be re-ripping it all to WAV! Tamad!
rtsyrtsy

Return to Digital