WD to Acquire Hitachi / Seagate to Acquire Samsung

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

WD to Acquire Hitachi / Seagate to Acquire Samsung

Postby audio80's » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:47 am

http://www.techpowerup.com/141699/Weste ... ogies.html

IBM=>HIT=>WD=>???

i had a lot of DeathStar before & even now from HiT :(
i hope WD improves the quality.....if ever.
Last edited by audio80's on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
audio80's
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Western Digital to Acquire Hitachi GST

Postby tony » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:32 pm

those were the days....

before there was IBM deskstars before it was acquired by Hitachi....

then there was Quantum, got acquired by Maxtor, which in turn was acquired by Seagate.....

Fujitsu, can't recall what happened to it....

so now we have Samsung, WDC, Seagate........

there was a time i wouldn't consider getting a WDC drive.....

times have really changed...... ;)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Samsung sells HDD division to Seagate

Postby audio80's » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 am

& now Seagate takes over Samsung, it's just a matter of time when all this mechanical storage device will go obsolete :worried:

Samsung sells HDD division to Seagate
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/19/sams ... 5-billion/
audio80's
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Western Digital to Acquire Hitachi GST

Postby KD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 am

tony wrote:Fujitsu, can't recall what happened to it....

Bought by Toshiba.
KD
Legend
Legend

Re: WD to Acquire Hitachi / Seagate to Acquire Samsung

Postby tony » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:22 am

could it be that anti-trust laws are violated this way?
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Possibly, but the historical trend in hard drives has been a reduction in market price accompanied by an improvement in specifications. Against this background it is difficult to justify to regulators that the consumer is worse off as a result of activity by the producers.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby carbondated » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:38 am

Everyone says that hard drive storage is getting cheaper, but the files to put in them are getting bigger at the same rate. So now my iTunes library, which contains lot of high-res music, takes up about half my hard drive -- the same as it did three laptops ago when Mac OS X was still PowerPC! (Those HD videos don't help, either...)
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby polaris » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 am

audio80's wrote:http://www.techpowerup.com/141699/Western-Digital-to-Acquire-Hitachi-Global-Storage-Technologies.html

IBM=>HIT=>WD=>???

i had a lot of DeathStar before & even now from HiT :(
i hope WD improves the quality.....if ever.

i don't know much about hard drives but i do own a couple. i'm quite surprised you hold WD in low regard. i thought they were top of the tree...then again, i don't know much about these...

i have 3 externals, seagate 500gb, wd 2 tb, hitachi 500gb.....all seem working perfect...never crashed or faulted. the seagate especially is a workhorse connected via firewire..
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby polaris » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:26 am

tony wrote:could it be that anti-trust laws are violated this way?

i'm not surprised if someone brings up anti-trust laws..

from the perspective of these businesses though, it makes sense for them to sell....with the global economic slow down, companies are forced to focused on their core businesses, consolidate resources and sell off divisions that distract them from pursuing their core markets and products. hitachi and samsung are not primarily hard drive makers, as we know.
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audio80's » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 pm

@polaris

sorry for this "IBM=>HIT=>WD=>???" all my HD's now are WD ;)
i was just showing that IBM was taken by Hit then Hit was taken by WD - hence the title of the thread
I also had a few dead Hitachi HD's & was hoping that WD would improve the quality of Hitachi's HD division :P
audio80's
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zetroce » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 pm

When i started my IT career, i was working on 2 MB Diskpacks with drives as big as an air-conditioner. :D Then came Micro computers with 5 1/2" drives in 10 MB and 20 MB capacities. These were all Seagate Disk Drives. :lol:

Eventually, all storage devices will just be static drives. Maybe that's the reason why Samsung sold their Hard Drive division.

I'm now using a Laptop with Static drives that's so small, so light, and much, much faster. :rock: :rock: :rock:
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby polaris » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 am

audio80's wrote:@polaris

sorry for this "IBM=>HIT=>WD=>???" all my HD's now are WD ;)
i was just showing that IBM was taken by Hit then Hit was taken by WD - hence the title of the thread
I also had a few dead Hitachi HD's & was hoping that WD would improve the quality of Hitachi's HD division :P

no apologies needed...i'm curious myself....I'm surprised though because the original HD that came with my Mac Pro was Hitachi, and I thought it was good. I would not have known until i opened it and upgraded the HD for a higher capacity WD.
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby polaris » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:33 am

zetroce wrote:When i started my IT career, i was working on 2 MB Diskpacks with drives as big as an air-conditioner. :D Then came Micro computers with 5 1/2" drives in 10 MB and 20 MB capacities. These were all Seagate Disk Drives. :lol:

Eventually, all storage devices will just be static drives. Maybe that's the reason why Samsung sold their Hard Drive division.

I'm now using a Laptop with Static drives that's so small, so light, and much, much faster. :rock: :rock: :rock:

i'm not an IT and i don't know what a static drive is, are these the category of drives with no mechanical heads moving? I took out the optic drive of my mac pro and replaced it with an SSD drive where all my system files now reside. Is the SSD drive an example of a static drive?
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zetroce » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:31 am

polaris wrote:
zetroce wrote:When i started my IT career, i was working on 2 MB Diskpacks with drives as big as an air-conditioner. :D Then came Micro computers with 5 1/2" drives in 10 MB and 20 MB capacities. These were all Seagate Disk Drives. :lol:

i'm not an IT and i don't know what a static drive is, are these the category of drives with no mechanical heads moving? I took out the optic drive of my mac pro and replaced it with an SSD drive where all my system files now reside. Is the SSD drive an example of a static drive?

Sorry Polaris for confusing you. The static drives i refer to are the SSDs or Flash Strorage drives that are currently being used by most light laptops. This basically replaces the HDDs or Hard Disk drives. It is more commonly known as SSD or Flash Drive. :)
And yes you are right, they don't have spinning platters and moving heads anymore, thereby making it lighter and faster. :rock:
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby polaris » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:37 pm

zetroce wrote:
polaris wrote:

Sorry Polaris for confusing you. The static drives i refer to are the SSDs or Flash Strorage drives that are currently being used by most light laptops. This basically replaces the HDDs or Hard Disk drives. It is more commonly known as SSD or Flash Drive. :)
And yes you are right, they don't have spinning platters and moving heads anymore, thereby making it lighter and faster. :rock:

COOL. Thanks.
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audio80's » Tue May 03, 2011 12:59 pm

ah Yes, the beauty of new technologies :clap:
audio80's
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Digital