Wireless digital streaming from laptop

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Wireless digital streaming from laptop

Postby philpath » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:14 pm

I think the Arcam Rdac wireless would be ideal. This could even upgrade the performance of my Nad 521. What do you guys think? I am planning to listen to internet radio using this Rdac. Any ideas on the availability of the Arcam Rdac locally?
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:01 am

philpath wrote:I am thinking about streaming digital audio signals from my laptop wirelessly to an external dac. the dac will then play through my system using dac analog outputs. Any ideas? I need products to help me do this. Thank you people.

I still don't trust wireless streaming for audiophile-quality listening as the 'path' can be easily broken by anything... I look at it like my Wi-Fi system that provides varying strenght in my home-office. I still go for a wired system.

But I supposed for 'just listening', it will do.
Dana's/SNZ's SqueezeBox sounded pretty well but his has been modified and provided with an external PSU 8)

Anyway, do try the available devices and hear for yourself.

Having music streamed everywhere in our daily environment sure beats having no music at all :hai:

cheers!
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:12 am

jlm3 wrote:If you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, download the "remote" app. Then wire your laptop via USB to the dac. You can then access your entire library through the handheld devices wirelessly through your wireless network, if you also have one up and running

You could also go straight from headphone out of laptop to RCA in of amp, but without a dac, it won't sound as good...

No need for airport express if younalready have a wireless router. Files sound great too because you're not actually streaming the music, just using the wireless network to control iTunes on your laptop, which does all the work.

Cheapest option if you already have all the gear...No cash out whatsoever as the app is free.

This is a good tip. :up:
I have the Remote app, and combined with the airport express feeding a VDAC, I can wirelessly stream lossless files from my desktop/laptop iTunes. But controlled by the iPad. :) 8)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby alphaomega » Sat May 07, 2011 6:55 am

I tried this setup via remote app to control my laptop from the iphone and it works great - very convenient!
However, I am just using the 3.5 jack output to RCA connected to my amp. I am wondering if the sound will still improve if I get the digital signal and use a DAC. Would appreciate your inputs on this and also if you can give advise on what equipment (e.g. DAC, cable, etc.) you are using and where you got them.
Thanks!
alphaomega
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Sat May 07, 2011 9:01 am

I do that too. Rather than compromise with a wireless system, I opted to use my iPod Touch as a remote browser and iTunes controller for my MacBook Air 11". The Mac hooks up to my sound system. Browsing is seamless. It's like you have your iTunes on the iPod Touch. It is complete with Coverflow, playlist, and everything else. Sound is optimized because of the direct connection. For desktop listening I use Shure E4c in-ear monitors.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Sat May 07, 2011 3:02 pm

alphaomega wrote:I tried this setup via remote app to control my laptop from the iphone and it works great - very convenient!
However, I am just using the 3.5 jack output to RCA connected to my amp. I am wondering if the sound will still improve if I get the digital signal and use a DAC. Would appreciate your inputs on this and also if you can give advise on what equipment (e.g. DAC, cable, etc.) you are using and where you got them.
Thanks!

Yes, I believe using a DAC is better than using the earphone outs from your laptop.
I use the relatively affordable Musical Fidelity V-DAC; it has a USB input from your laptop and connects via RCA interconnects to your amp/preamp.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Digital