Generic Trackxx Names after EAC Rips

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Generic Trackxx Names after EAC Rips

Postby Noel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:55 pm

I have started to rip my CDs and have done about 100 or so albums. I'm using EAC to rip, and itunes for software. All are in WAV format for maximum fidelity. Initially I plan to use these with my ipod portable setup, but eventually plan to use this as source for speaker systems. Ripping from EAC results to generic TRACKxx filenames. In itunes I would then import these TRACKxx files, album by album, and then manually edit for the song name, w/c strikes me as tedious and primitive. After doing this for a few albums I stopped as it will take forever. Is there a better and more efficient way of doing this... like capturing from EAC the song names which may already be available from the CD. I've checked the EAC menu options and can't find anything there.
Noel
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Generic Trackxx Names after EAC Rips

Postby Gino » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Rippers that can put names contact a CDDB server for the track info. The track info is not natively contained in the cd. Most oem cds are supported by CDDB servers. Personal compilations are not. Use rippers like iTunes that contact CDDB servers. Or enable this feature on so equipped rippers,
Last edited by Gino on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Suggest that you try dbpoweramp for ripping. It is far easier to use than EAC, uses Accurate Rip and can link to multiple CDDB databases. Moreover, it has a batch convert function that can convert to other formats easily. I have used it for years and have ben much happier with it, as compared to EAC.
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Noel » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks for the CCDB tip.
Noel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:24 am

Squirrelnutzipper wrote:Suggest that you try dbpoweramp for ripping. It is far easier to use than EAC, uses Accurate Rip and can link to multiple CDDB databases. Moreover, it has a batch convert function that can convert to other formats easily. I have used it for years and have ben much happier with it, as compared to EAC.

i never got this generic track issue when i was using EAC for about a year.

Last year I tested dbpoweramp, but since I need to pay for it, I went back to the old windows media player and I find it convenient and does the job, too; I tried iTunes and it makes me crazy as it does not download my album covers (WHY OH WHY???). anyway, my concern (minor?) is this:

is there a BEST ripper out there (preferably free at the moment)? by best i mean it produces EXACTLY what the CD is producing - ok, EAC prides itself of this but using it makes me feel i needed to go back to high school - shitty program in terms of usage (and i think the writers did mention that EAC is not for everyone), so i excuse them for that; or maybe i am not asking the right questions here, so please help me out: i too have started seriously listening to ripped music because I'm getting lazy going to the tray and inserting those little discs :emo:

i should admit that i was encouraged to do this upon having this DAC7 with me - it changed my perception of ripped music... now, if only i can get off my head that a better ripper than the WMP exists out there that's also for free, i'd probably stop looking.

thanks, Dana & the rest of you expert rippers :hai:

.e.

PS: CALLING L'es :)
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby [L]es » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:47 am

there will always be a compromise. just last night i got new ati drivers and they had a problem bitstreaming audio to my receiver. it took me up until 4am just trying to figure out what to do or how to get it to work. anyways, it worked, i just have to make sure its working perfectly.

egay, the same thing works with ripping audio cds. there's always a compromise. what i used to do was rip the tracks the were freedb-able with EAC and rip the rest that needed gracenote with itunes. winamp has a nice ripper and does gracenote but i think there might be some options missing. you can try that one, it's free.
[L]es
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gino » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:37 pm

I was having occasional erroneous rips in iTunes before. It literally sounded like ripping. I was using a generic slim usb dvd drive. I then decided to use my full size Samsung dvd drive in a usb case. Error free since then. If you are encountering deficiencies with your rips, exploring other dvd drives is an option. Good snug usb cables also ensure good rips.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:25 pm

[L]es wrote:there will always be a compromise. just last night i got new ati drivers and they had a problem bitstreaming audio to my receiver. it took me up until 4am just trying to figure out what to do or how to get it to work. anyways, it worked, i just have to make sure its working perfectly.

egay, the same thing works with ripping audio cds. there's always a compromise. what i used to do was rip the tracks the were freedb-able with EAC and rip the rest that needed gracenote with itunes. winamp has a nice ripper and does gracenote but i think there might be some options missing. you can try that one, it's free.

Thanks, L'es :hai:
I'll try winamp

so far i didn't encounter any error on my side using samsung & the stock dvd drive in my desktop...i'm chicken to try other drivers, so i'll stick with what drivers are installed :$

i'll let you guys know what happens next

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Digital