ROAD TO RECOVERY: JOLIDA CD100S

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

ROAD TO RECOVERY: JOLIDA CD100S

Postby magnus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:11 am

Those who may have read my initial post in this forum in the Newbie section are aware of my little crusade to restore/replace my Dad's gears that had been damaged by Ondoy. hypertriode is presently working his magic on restoring the Aurora SET amp and his initial prognosis for the AR and Sansui amps is positive for getting them back to working state (keeping my fingers crossed).

With the Aurora soon to be up and about hopefully within the month, I've been looking around to replace the Philips CD950 player. I initially brought this over to Kinetic audio as this outfit is near my office. The unit switches on but displays an "error reading" message when I try to play a cd. I was hoping that this cd player could still be repaired. Unfortunately, it looks like the Philips will have to written off. Per the techs, "pulbos na yung mga gears at madaming kalawang" on the parts.

Fortunately, I was able to purchase this Jolida 100s cd tube player that was being sold in another forum. The owner had upgraded the stock tubes to Mullards and and was very kind enough to throw in other tubes together with the stock tubes that the unit originally came with.

I never did pick up my Dad's "audio sense" (his frustration) so I can't really provide any technical views about this unit. However to my untrained, unsophisticated ears, this player sounded much better than my Philips blue ray player which I use to play my cds in my HT system. Hooked up to my Onkyo 608 receiver and my PSB Alpha speakers, it really made such a big difference. I think the best compliment to this player was having my 7 yr old daughter walk in while I was using the unit and ask, "Daddy, why does your music sound better this time?" My little girl is presently learning how to play the violin and her favorite cd is Linda Rosenthal playing a Stradivarius recorded on an SACD manufactured by First Impressions Music. She listens to this in the car and now only wants to hear it using my new cd player.

I'm really looking forward to use this player with the repaired amps and a new matching set of speakers. Even better, I can hardly wait to see my Dad's reaction when he gets to hear his resurrected gears :)
Last edited by magnus on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Re: ROAD TO RECOVERY: JOLIDA CD100S

Postby Oldfogey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:39 am

Magnus, enjoy the "road back", good luck and enjoy your music. Congratulations on your daughter learning the violin! It had always been my frustration not to be able to play an instrument, but redemption is at hand. My son wants to be John Coltrane :D
Oldfogey

Postby magnus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:44 am

@oldfogey - hey there! nice to be able to touch base with your here and at pwc. Haven't seen you and your wifey for quite a while. Pls send her my regards
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for sharing this story.
Hope you get to full recovery real soon!
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby magnus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks zenaudio. Given the positive developments of the gears at various stages of repair, the outlook looks good as far as this journey is concerned.

Per Jolida's site (jolida.net), the JD100s is an improved version of the JD100 by having four tubes with the addition of two 12AU7 tubes to the output section. Here are some additional pics of this player:

Jolida JD100s innards

Output section with 2x12AU7 and 2x12AX7 tubes with their dampers installed

tubes with the dampers removed

Image Image
presently using a pair of these mullards and philips that came with the player

Image Image Image Image
seller that sold me this player was kind enough to throw in pairs of these additional tubes as part of the sale :)
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby buzzlite » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:14 pm

Need Help

where can you have this Jolida JD100s cleaned or repaired? :D
buzzlite
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AudioAmp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 pm

Sir,

Best if you bring it to the dealer who sold you the unit so that he can service the unit. However, if the unit is a grey market and is not covered by warranty - we can give it a try since our technical staff are quite familiar with tubes. Are you experiencing any problems with the CDP or is it just general cleaning that you need?

Sincerely - audio amplified
AudioAmp
Citizen
Citizen

Postby buzzlite » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:43 pm

AudioAmp

Sir thank you for your response. I am suspecting a cleaning and adjustment maybe since CD's that it used to read flawlessly but now has a hard time playing it. I'll bring it to your place one of these days. Thank you again. :)
buzzlite
Citizen
Citizen

Postby buzzlite » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 pm

AudioAmp

I just have my Jolida JD100s upgraded all caps this morning from your place. Nice one. Thanks again. :)
buzzlite
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AudioAmp » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:46 pm

No problem sir. Glad to be of service to you :) enjoy your newly mundorfed toy hehe
AudioAmp
Citizen
Citizen

Postby buzzlite » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:50 pm

AudioAmp

Next in line, will have my amp Mundorf as well in a couple of months. :)
buzzlite
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Digital