Wadia 170i + YBA Design WD202 combo

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Wadia 170i + YBA Design WD202 combo

Postby jcatral14 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Hello newbie to the forums but not new to the hobby :) I'm a transplant from the Philippine Watch Forums ;)

Anyway my question is if anyone here has heard of the combo I mentioned? I have a Wadia 850 but unfortunately does not have any digital inputs. I'll try to reach Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sounds next week if still possible to retrofit a digital input. If not I guess I have to look for a suitable but not pricey DAC that can complement the 170i.

Thanks in advance :)
jcatral14

Re: Wadia 170i + YBA Design WD202 combo

Postby polaris » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:08 pm

not heard the combo, but as a former YBA cd player owner (yba2 delta), i don't see any reason why the "YBA design" DAC would not sound very decent, despite being a less expensive make from the YBA house. having said that, since you're familiar with the wadia sound, the two are different. wadia is more detailed, incisive with solid in the bass (like RA opus 21 or esoteric hybrids)..the YBA sound is more lush, warm and rose tinted, and yet still musical (like the older accuphase cdps). imho.

will appreciate a feedback of the combo if you decide to pull the trigger...
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jcatral14 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 am

polaris wrote:not heard the combo, but as a former YBA cd player owner (yba2 delta), i don't see any reason why the "YBA design" DAC would not sound very decent, despite being a less expensive make from the YBA house. having said that, since you're familiar with the wadia sound, the two are different. wadia is more detailed, incisive with solid in the bass (like RA opus 21 or esoteric hybrids)..the YBA sound is more lush, warm and rose tinted, and yet still musical (like the older accuphase cdps). imho.

will appreciate a feedback of the combo if you decide to pull the trigger...

Thanks for your thoughts. Will def do if I purchase the combo.

I hear you about the difference between the two. Actually it's their individual traits that make me think they will work together as a combo. My hope is they will tame each other down and (hopefully) come out with a neutral sounding player.

My other (expensive) option is to put my 850 on the market and get a new Wadia CDP with digital inputs and add the 170i to it.

Cheers,
Jay
jcatral14

Postby egay » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 pm

jcatral14 wrote:...My other (expensive) option is to put my 850 on the market...

NOW that's a thought, Jay :hai:

I've been trying to have my old 6i resurrected but so far unsuccessful (still trying to find that elusive lens by Sony)
so an 850 in the market would be something "encouraging" :)

my best wishes on your upcoming project
and please, do share your experience

cheers!

egay

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jcatral14 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:21 am

egay wrote:
jcatral14 wrote:...My other (expensive) option is to put my 850 on the market...

NOW that's a thought, Jay :hai:

I've been trying to have my old 6i resurrected but so far unsuccessful (still trying to find that elusive lens by Sony)
so an 850 in the market would be something "encouraging" :)

my best wishes on your upcoming project
and please, do share your experience

cheers!

egay

.e.

LOL
Thanks for your well wishes Egay :D
My 850 is over at Wadia right now being fixed for the drawer problem. They do not have any more digital input boards :(
I asked and the new 381SE with digital input board will run around $9k :tmi: ;(
I guess I'm keeping my 850 and just go for the 170i/WD202 combo. Will post my thoughts once I pull the trigger. Probably in a couple of months.
I'll make sure to post an update :)

Cheers,

Jay
jcatral14

Postby jcatral14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 am

Just an update.

Have reached out to my contact at Wadia and will place an order for the 171i :) The YBA may have to wait as I have to apportion my finite funds among my other hobbies :lol:

Will update when I receive the unit :)
jcatral14

Postby egay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Jay,
I contacted a guy in ITALY (am looking for is address) who said he can do the repairs PLUS upgrades of older wadias (among others) but the costs are quite high... i'll PM you as soon as I have the address.

And, I hope you get "your" project going soon

^_^

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Digital