My future digital system

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: My future digital system

Postby docsialu » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 am

Music from vinyl makes me seriously pay attention to the music and for me kahit few tracks lang pinapatugtog ko sulit na tenga ko. ;) ;)
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:52 am

Tra La La, Troll La La
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby ESaudio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Que sera! sera! Whatever will be, will be! The future is not ours to see! Que sera, sera! What will be, will be!

Good luck bro sgxp97 on your "GOOD ENOUGH" future digital system that will put the analog kingdom to the bottomless pit! :yawn:
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby troporobo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:56 pm

audiofilio wrote:If someone can reinvent a turntable that can be set-up in-car, I'd grab one too. 8)

It's been done!

http://ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hein » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Even the late great Einstein had a thing to say about Digital systems.....

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.", Albert Einstein at Princeton
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sgxp97 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:10 pm

arnoldc wrote:I had to comment now,
...you go to M1 and you didn't find the records? Funny, a few weeks ago I was there and there were tons of records, not to mention casette tapes. Do you know this store called Fully Booked? Have you been to their Fort branch? There's loads of records there.

Go back to m1 NOW, the records are GONE....and no one seems to be talking about vinyl resurgence lately.
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:30 pm

qguy
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:47 pm

So if it's "GONE" from M1, and nobody talks about vinyl "resurgence" so what? :^)
sgxp97 wrote:
...you go to M1 and you didn't find the records? Funny, a few weeks ago I was there and there were tons of records, not to mention casette tapes. Do you know this store called Fully Booked? Have you been to their Fort branch? There's loads of records there.

Go back to m1 NOW, the records are GONE....and no one seems to be talking about vinyl resurgence lately.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby sgxp97 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:25 pm

docsialu wrote:Music from vinyl makes me seriously pay attention to the music and for me kahit few tracks lang pinapatugtog ko sulit na tenga ko. ;) ;)

Good for you, actually, for us. But we're less than 1% of our generation. And next generation? Less then 1% of less then 1%?
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:38 pm

arnoldc wrote:So if it's "GONE" from M1, and nobody talks about vinyl "resurgence" so what? :^)
sgxp97 wrote:

Ah, perhaps the world is a very big place outside of Manila and people all over the world are talking about and buying more LPs, turntables and cartridges? Maybe people aren't talking so much, as they are buying and enjoying! It is only a relative handful of audiophiles talking about loading, capacitance, VTA and all that sort of anally retentive sort of stuff! Keep 'em spinning!
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:58 pm

sgxp97 wrote:Go back to m1 NOW, the records are GONE....and no one seems to be talking about vinyl resurgence lately.

SOLD OUT! :?:
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby troporobo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 pm

sgxp97 wrote:....and no one seems to be talking about vinyl resurgence lately.

Really? Maybe you're not listening to the same sources I keep coming across. Had you said instead no one I know is talking about it, then fine, but since you are determined to press your point about the world in general without evidence let me help a little:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=vinyl+resurgence

That is just one small example. And just in case you are still not convinced, have a look at the RIAA's own statistics. Vinyl LPs are the only physical medium to have grown in the last reporting period (by 10%) whereas all other physical media have fallen. Vinyl LP sales even grew more than sales of digital downloads.

http://76.74.24.142/A200B8A7-6BBF-EF15-3038-582014919F78.pdf

Granted, vinyl is a niche market and a very small one at that. But its not going away. I am perfectly happy if it is not for you, no problem at all. But some of us like it, enough to keep it going long after all those hard drives crash and take all the digital files with them. I hope that's OK with you too.
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 pm

ESaudio wrote:
sgxp97 wrote:Go back to m1 NOW, the records are GONE....and no one seems to be talking about vinyl resurgence lately.

SOLD OUT! :?:

No worries. Thay are pressing increasing numbers of LPs for restocking!
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tenderobject » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 pm

troporobo wrote:
audiofilio wrote:If someone can reinvent a turntable that can be set-up in-car, I'd grab one too. 8)

It's been done!

http://ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html

wow!!!
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby tenderobject » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:18 pm

guys watch the videos!!! vinyl is not DEAD! hope we can organise something like this here.. november hifi show maybe? :)

i think one of the organiser of beat swapmeet is a member here (and a filipino?). awesome event, awesome music!!!

http://www.beatswapmeet.com/

for sure there will be another and another and another generation of vinyl lovers.. life is just a cycle.. maybe? not? yes!?
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby zenaudio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:20 pm

I just read the May 2010 issue of GQ magazine (at the haircutters :lol: ) and there's a feature on vinyl.
In fact they featured the VPI Scout. :rock: They also talked about the popularity of tubes in newer gear.
Basically they put together a system with a vinyl front end, a CD player (another "dead" format), a Cayin amp and B&W speakers. Not sure if GQ is still an authority on what is "hot" outside of haircutters. :lol: All I know is that I was able to buy a Lady Gaga double-LP in the US last month.

Personally I don't care if vinyl will be dead 50 years from now as I am enjoying it now. Problema na ng anak at future apo ko kung paano itapon LPs. :P
Btw, I'm also enjoying my ipod touch in the car audio system. Don't care if ipod will still be around 50 years from now, it will probably break down before it becomes obsolete. :lol:
Last edited by zenaudio on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby auralexploits » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:26 pm

tenderobject wrote:guys watch the videos!!! vinyl is not DEAD! hope we can organise something like this here.. november hifi show maybe? :)

i think one of the organiser of beat swapmeet is a member here (and a filipino?). awesome event, awesome music!!!

for sure there will be another and another and another generation of vinyl lovers.. life is just a cycle.. maybe? not? yes!?

sir tender, meron ganyan last year sa hi-fi show. sayang di ka nakapunta. malamang marami ka din hakot gaya ni riprig+panic :!: :clap:
auralexploits
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 pm

I have LPs from the 50's and 60's. They are half a century or more old. Yet they are in pristine condition. If anything it proves that vinyl is a durable medium. Even if vinyl production were to cease, there is still a motherlode of existing pressings for the trade to continue.

I called the rise of digital downloads right here many years ago. I predated any news of any commercial download sites. The hint came from habits formed during the tumultuous period associated with peer to peer networks, mainly Napster, as well as trends in broadband development and usage. Yet the longevity of a downloaded file is still questionable. Hard drives fail regularly and solid state storage (which I also called) is only now beginning to be priced competitively. To safeguard one's purchase one is advised to back up the files in other media. These days it is DVD-R. Looking at the evolution of computing and we find computers beginning to surface without optical drives at all. Just a few years down the road, finding hardware to restore your backups might be extremely difficult, finding drivers for such devices for Windows 10 or Mac OS XII even more so.

So. What do you guys think might die first? The file I just bought at the iTunes Store or the 60 year old LP that looks like it could easily go another 60 years?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby tenderobject » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:32 pm

tonyrocketpunch wrote:
tenderobject wrote:guys watch the videos!!! vinyl is not DEAD! hope we can organise something like this here.. november hifi show maybe? :)

sir tender, meron ganyan last year sa hi-fi show. sayang di ka nakapunta. malamang marami ka din hakot gaya ni riprig+panic :!: :clap:

di naman kayo nagsasama sir tonyrocketpuncher
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby sgxp97 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 am

JackD201 wrote:So. What do you guys think might die first? The file I just bought at the iTunes Store or the 60 year old LP that looks like it could easily go another 60 years?

USB port, the new 5.25 spinning disk, even ipad had to be compatible. But I can lose all my downloads in one go, I just download again new music and those and only those that I have to hear again now. With vinyl you're always in panic buying mode :D.
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Digital