My future digital system

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

My future digital system

Postby sgxp97 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 pm

mini laptop + NAD M2 version XX with asynchronous USB input supporting higher res files. Wow with these technologies I think analog will totally fade away.
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

Re: My future digital system

Postby troporobo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:31 pm

I share your enthusiasm for digital convenience, but not your conclusion about the demise of analog! From 8-track to cassetes to minidiscs to CDs of many types and now computer playback, analog has been challenged many times and yet somehow survived. Tell you what - when you get your future system, bring it around to my place and we'll have a shoot out :devil:
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tenderobject » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:51 pm

bye bye vinyl records!!! :rofl:
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:05 am

sgxp97 wrote:mini laptop + NAD M2 version XX with asynchronous USB input supporting higher res files. Wow with these technologies I think analog will totally fade away.

Funny, I thought the same thing in the early 80s when I bought my first cd player and retired all the LPs I had collected since the late 60s. From there, I went to PC based playback and experienced the convenience of being able to store so much music digitally in no space at all. All cds banished to the cardboard box. Experimenting with DACs left me even more convinced of the ultimate demise of vinyl.

Then, a very funny thing happened. The guys on this forum kept on blathering about the great sound of vinyl. So, what the hell, thought I. Rummaged around my old and moldy stuff and resurrected a Shure V15 III, Stanton 881S and my venerable Sony TA-2000F preamp to use as a phono stage and collected together some turntables, cartridges and arms. I hauled out a pile of old LPs from my parent's basement and spent several days washing LPs on a machine, not knowing what kind of condition they would be in. As soon as I got things set up and hit needle to vinyl, I was almost at once disavowed of the notion that vinyl was dead. The sound is different, the experience tactile and the whole experience delightful. No, vinyl lives!

Having said that, I firmly believe that there is a place for both analogue and vinyl. Both are great and with both, the selection of music is endless. It was a long road that spanned nearly 30 years, but there is now no way I would ever again consider abandoning vinyl. Why don't you experiment for a while perfecting the digital to the best point you can, and then spin a few records? After that, ask yourself whether you think LPs are dead. I think you may well conclude then they are not!
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sgxp97 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 am

troporobo wrote:I share your enthusiasm for digital convenience, but not your conclusion about the demise of analog! From 8-track to cassetes to minidiscs to CDs of many types and now computer playback, analog has been challenged many times and yet somehow survived. Tell you what - when you get your future system, bring it around to my place and we'll have a shoot out :devil:

I share your love for analog also, but I think that's where things will go. It's not about which sounds better.
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:26 am

sgxp97 wrote:It's not about which sounds better.

Good luck with your future digital system bro. If "it's not about which sounds better", then i hope that your future digital system will make analog eventually fade away. Incidentally, i just had a reservation for an LP stabilizer for which i am quite excited to grab one. Will this stabilizer make my analog rig sound better? 8)
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby troporobo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 am

sgxp97 wrote:It's not about which sounds better.

My apologies. I thought we were discussing listening to music. Myself, I like it to sound good, but that may not be for everyone. Good luck with whatever it is about for you.
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiofilio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:51 am

ESaudio wrote:i just had a reservation for an LP stabilizer for which i am quite excited to grab one. Will this stabilizer make my analog rig sound better? 8)

If someone can reinvent a turntable that can be set-up in-car, I'd grab one too. 8)
audiofilio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby trauma » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:45 am

audiofilio wrote:
ESaudio wrote:i just had a reservation for an LP stabilizer for which i am quite excited to grab one. Will this stabilizer make my analog rig sound better? 8)

If someone can reinvent a turntable that can be set-up in-car, I'd grab one too. 8)

A long time ago there ws the Soundburger from Audio Technica. It ran on batteries and is listened to with headphones.
trauma
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:53 am

audiofilio wrote:

i guess a mini laptop + NAD M2 XX version with USB input supporting high reso audio files are now available and can be easily set-up for a car audio system. maybe i should grab one too for my 1980 Galant Saloon!
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nelson de Leon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:01 am

trauma wrote:
audiofilio wrote:

A long time ago there ws the Soundburger from Audio Technica. It ran on batteries and is listened to with headphones.

Yeah. Yan ba yun parang walkman CD player na malaki? and instead of cd lens yun nagmove, head ng TT ang nakakabit ?
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:21 am

Yes. Looks like it clamps on the disc. I had a Sony TT that accommodates 1/4 of the disc. It was part of a mini component system.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hein » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 am

sgxp97 wrote:
troporobo wrote:I share your enthusiasm for digital convenience, but not your conclusion about the demise of analog! From 8-track to cassetes to minidiscs to CDs of many types and now computer playback, analog has been challenged many times and yet somehow survived. Tell you what - when you get your future system, bring it around to my place and we'll have a shoot out :devil:

I share your love for analog also, but I think that's where things will go. It's not about which sounds better.

In the end, it's about which sounds better, that is why we are in this hobby.
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:28 am

sgxp97 wrote:mini laptop + NAD M2 version XX with asynchronous USB input supporting higher res files. Wow with these technologies I think analog will totally fade away.

Heard this in each decade since the early 80's.
Boring...
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby usai » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:36 am

hein wrote:
In the end, it's about which sounds better, that is why we are in this hobby.

+1 :clap: :clap: :clap:
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby alexg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am

hein wrote:In the end, it's about which sounds better, that is why we are in this hobby.

I thought I am in this hobby to disprove that money cannot buy me everything, but I am really trying? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Enough of the joke.

+1 Hein....

I am in this hobby because I want something that sounds better, not where technology is taking me.
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sgxp97 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 am

Finally digital will be GOOD ENOUGH.

Analog will die more deaths until it becomes practically 'dead'. Next batch of gray hairs will be looking back at CDs not vinyl records. Supporting industries for analog will be gone. And look at M1 record store now, where are the vinyl records? Gone! Technics SL1200 out of production etc etc.
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nelson de Leon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:06 am

Actually there's this vinyl manufaturer sa US who had dwindling sales when the CDs were introduced in the 80s. But in the late 90s, bumalik ulit yun sales nila sa LPs. :D Wathced it sa Disco channel ata or Nat Geo.

For critical listening, LPs pa din ako. Madaming mga manufacturers din ng gears claiming that mga gears nila sounded more analog compared to others. Signs that the analog system is still a reference.

Pero kung basta lang may mapakinggan kang music, nothing beats digital in terms of convenience. It's so easy to switch from one album to the other. Tamad din kasi ako at times.

Analog is still here to stay.

Teka, parang analog vs digital na napunta ang topic. :D
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 am

sgxp97 wrote:Finally digital will be GOOD ENOUGH.

Analog will die more deaths until it becomes practically 'dead'. Next batch of gray hairs will be looking back at CDs not vinyl records. Supporting industries for analog will be gone. And look at M1 record store now, where are the vinyl records? Gone! Technics SL1200 out of production etc etc.

Well, I am not a gray hair so much as a no hair guy. So, I guess that places me in a different category!

Deaths are clearly one thing, but obsolescence is another. Thus far, analogue has shown that it is a strongly supported medium that has made a comeback. By analogy, tubes have followed the same path as analogue. Technically, solid state should be better and be able to surpass tubes in measurements. Yet, this has not happened and it does not seem likely that it will in the near future. This perhaps suggests that SQ is more than a function of technical measurement, but that it may be as much subjective as objective.

Comparing cds to vinyl records in terms of nostalgia is a flawed comparison. CDs are merely the medium for carrying the digital information. The hard drives in computers are merely another medium doing the same thing, although arguably with more accuracey, perhaps. Analogue is an entirely different animal altogether with a different sound.

Given that younger people are reviving interest in vinyl and even tubes, I think that predictions of its imminent demise are premature.
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:35 am

I had to comment now,

@sgxp97, you go to M1 and you didn't find the records? Funny, a few weeks ago I was there and there were tons of records, not to mention casette tapes. Do you know this store called Fully Booked? Have you been to their Fort branch? There's loads of records there.

Wow, what an "industry expert" you are, 6 years ago here at Wiredstate, somebody said the same thing. I wonder where he is now, but the records, the vinyls are still being sold all over :rofl:

I fully concur with Dana, CD is a medium, Redbook is the format. So which one of these are we going to look at when we have grey hairs? :lol:

Prior to your claim, I would have said give this guy a break... He has an M2 he can be proud of, and a format he wants to live with. That's fine. But being a soothsayer on the demise of vinyl, you are not :lol:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Digital