My future digital system

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: My future digital system

Postby pigdog » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 pm

@sgxp97
since you are happy with your new setup, perhaps you can enlighten us as to why you opted to go that route. now i am not being judgemental, as i too use a digital setup and not an expensive one at that, to which i enjoyed. what made you think that analogue is a dying breed? in my opinion analogue will still be with us
it will die someday, everything ends, but i expect it to be around much longer.
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby noctilux » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:51 pm

sgxp97 wrote:mini laptop + NAD M2 version XX with asynchronous USB input supporting higher res files. Wow with these technologies I think analog will totally fade away.

I guess the assumption is incorrect in saying Analogue or Vinyl will fade away. This new or better digital technology only outdated the current or yesterday's digital medium. We were told perfect sound forever when CD's were sold. CD's will soon totally fade away, vinyl will stay on indefinitely!
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Oooops!

Postby Oldfogey » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:04 pm

I split this thread since it was turning into a discussion on the the continued availability of the Technics SL1200. Mistakenly posted it just above this thread under the same title. Sorry, too much work and not enough caffeine. :doh:
Oldfogey

Postby Audiogeek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:07 pm

JackD201 wrote:So. What do you guys think might die first? The file I just bought at the iTunes Store or the 60 year old LP that looks like it could easily go another 60 years?

another 60 years is too long Jack. maybe 25 years from now, meron ng recordable and rewritable vinyl. cdr vs. lpr = winner? :rofl:
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Oooops!

Postby ESaudio » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Oldfogey wrote:I split this thread since it was turning into a discussion on the the continued availability of the Technics SL1200. Mistakenly posted it just above this thread under the same title. Sorry, too much work and not enough caffeine. :doh:

Mr Moderator, with all due respect.

i don't think there is a need to split and separate all posts pertaining to the availability of the Technics SL1200. I do believe that the continued availability of Technics SL1200 has strong relevance and significance in relation to the topic and claims posted by the author (sgxp97) of the thread that analog will fade away by reason of his futuristic mini-laptop digital system. It is not a question of whether or not there is an available Technics SL1200 in the market. Rather, the continued production of said models or similar models is an indication that analog is still going strong. Any specific reference to a strong analog brand like Technics SL1200 is only incidental to the main topic. The other similar thread being split has no more relevance of its own coz everybody knew that Technics SL1200 is still very much available for grab. Removing therefore the posts on availability of Technics SL1200 from this main thread giving it the same title "My Future Digital System" only causes confusion if not to kill the resurgence of analog. Just have too much caffeine with so much OT works. Tnx bro!
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:16 am

Fast forward to year 2310 –
Bill Gates VIII, invents Rhoda, a super computer which controls the system for the primary mode of transportation.
I enter a chamber and Rhoda breaks down my body into molecular digital bits and “uploads” these onto my destination chamber, much like Star Trek’s “beam me up Scotty”.

Perfect! No traffic and the hassles of parking. Practically maintenance free at wala nang ceremonya – change oil, tune up, etc…
Weekday commute/transport Utopia!!!

Sunday morning 8:30am –
I wake up and suddenly have a craving for Burgers and fries at Antonio’s (yes, it is now a fastfood chain in Tagaytay). I turn on Rhoda and key in the destination point for Antonio’s. But as I enter the chamber in the garage, I see that old ’87 Benz wagon bequeathed to me by my great, great, great, uncle. I haven’t driven it in quite a while and think, heck!, why not give this old baby a spin – tutal wala na naman traffic.
As I walk towards the door, I run my fingers thru the hood. Nice! It still has that newly waxed surface feel. I open the door and that musty smell of old leather invites me to sit on that partially worn out driver’s seat that has conformed to my body. I turn the key to start the engine and Viola! One click pa rin! Galing!
But then I notice some pilot lights at the dash reminding me to add some water and oil. Dami talagang ceremonya!
Anyway, in a few minutes, I’m comfortably cruising by the 15 lane SLEX V at 120kph.
Gripping the steering, I have that sudden urge to step on the pedal – 140, 160, 180, 200, 220!
I have total control of that machine – adrenalin rush!
But then, am really in no rush as I want to appreciate the ride so I slow it down back to cruising 120.
Turn off the aircon and open that sunroof. The cool breeze that enters the interior invigorates me while I ingest the scenery as I drive by.
I’ve had my burgers and fries and the drive back was twice more stimulating.

Monday morning 8:00am –
Shit! just woke up and remembered I have a 9:00am at Makati!
Good thing I have Rhoda to “upload” me to my meet in 1.00958 nano seconds.
I rush to the chamber. But while I wait for the system to boot up, I remember yesterday’s drive as Rhoda breaks into bits my molecular smile.

The car may be “dead” but when I’m sixty-four, I’d still like to smell that musty leather interior, grip that wheel and feel the breeze on my face while performing that antiquated exercise called driving.
Bagiuo next weekend perhaps? I heard they newly opened the Spirits Disco IV.

Oh and by the way, I was able to make it on time for my 9am Makati meet.
Unfortunately, Rhoda crashed during the upload and mixed up my molecular bits.
I ended up with my ass right smack where my face should be.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby keith » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:47 am

:rofl: At least, you weren't genetically spliced with a fly that landed on your shirt whilst teleporting. Mas cute yung @ss face. :D
keith
walastick

Postby zenaudio » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:15 pm

keith wrote: :rofl: At least, you weren't genetically spliced with a fly that landed on your shirt whilst teleporting. Mas cute yung @ss face. :D

Aaarrgh!! :@ :D
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rascal101 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 pm

I guess that we cannot hide the fact that LPs won't be gone for quite some time.

I think the reason why this is so is because people believe that LPs are superior to CD or digital media based on subjective listening tests. However, we should take note of the fact that phono has been with us for quite a long time and is a very mature technology. Digital media playback system is practically just starting and it yet to achieve its peak potential. Regarding the back-end components of the digital playback system which are the (1) D/A converter block and (2) output analog block, perhaps the (1) D/A converter block has reached its peak potential however, I sincerely believe there is still significant room for improving the (2) output analog block.

For this reason, I share the same enthusiasm of the thread starter.
rascal101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sgxp97 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:09 pm

New CDP with asynchronous USB input supporting 24/96:

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/index.php

Rega is reportedly close to introducing its own version; heard it's gonna be USB-powered.

Weeeeee!!! Downloading time... Bye bye shipping!
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sgxp97 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 am

rascal101 wrote:...I think the reason why this is so is because people believe that LPs are superior to CD or digital media based on subjective listening tests....

Cassettes and CDs killed vinyl in the mass market. High res downloads and formats will kill vinyl in the audiophile world sooner than you think.

Of course vinyl fans will say it will be with us forever...yeah it will be as alive as reel to reel haha.
Last edited by sgxp97 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
sgxp97
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pigdog » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 am

you have not answered my questions sir,
enlighten me please
@sgxp97
since you are happy with your new setup, perhaps you can enlighten us as to why you opted to go that route. now i am not being judgemental, as i too use a digital setup and not an expensive one at that, to which i enjoyed. what made you think that analogue is a dying breed? in my opinion analogue will still be with us

making an assumptions is accepted but it would be more appropriate if you can elaborate this

and in fairness, i will tell you my point of view

I use an inexpensive squeezebox setup and i used it more than my cds even though i have a very good cdp, the SB allows me to use it with convenience, however the system still has its limitations, there is still a limited amount of hi quality downloadable music and sadly we are still reliant having an internet and wifi connection. and even then the SB has some limits, such as systems failures and time spent reinstalling the setup. I can vouch for this as i have to deal with this all the time

I have an analogue setup, i dont care if it is not the latest or the most expensive gears involved, but i enjoyed the PROCESS, so whether or not the analogue source will die in the future does not bother me at all
its a hobby like restoring an old car, or collecting old watches, its something that i personally enjoy, there is still a sizeable number of enthusiast out there who will keep the hobby alive

while your opinons are welcomed here, please respect the fact that others would like to enjoy thier hobbies as well

it will die someday, everything ends, but i expect it to be around much longer.
sgxp97 wrote:
rascal101 wrote:...I think the reason why this is so is because people believe that LPs are superior to CD or digital media based on subjective listening tests....

Cassettes and CDs killed vinyl in the mass market. High res downloads and formats will kill vinyl in the audiophile world sooner than you think.
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 am

sgxp97 wrote:Cassettes and CDs killed vinyl in the mass market.

which format is the one that's alive and kicking right now? aren't Cassettes dead in the water and isnt the CD in its death throes?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby usai » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:47 am

usai wrote:
Mamimili wrote:Tra La La, Troll La La

+1 ;)

+2 ;)
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 am

sgxp97 wrote:

Vinyl will outlive you.

Vinyl will outlive all future sources.Simply because the people who listen to vinyl also have digital systems be they full blown dedicated systems or a car system or just a simple portable mp3 player.
The people who seem to get such pleasure predicting the death of vinyl come and go with boring monotony, i assume many of them are just fad hoppers who possibly have never heard a vinyl system, so the poor uneducated sods have no idea what they are talking about
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:58 am

kabubi wrote:
sgxp97 wrote:Cassettes and CDs killed vinyl in the mass market.

which format is the one that's alive and kicking right now? aren't Cassettes dead in the water and isnt the CD in its death throes?

Perhaps we need a meaningful discussion on the resurgence of Reel To Reel
Mamimili
Master
Master

Previous

Return to Digital